|Please help improve this resource by adding citations to reliable sources.|
Web Design is an incredibly fun skill to learn—combining the latest toys of technology with the creativity of design! On top of that, learning web design is unique in that we can learn directly from current professionals who publish their techniques for all to read on their own Web-logs!
You'll find below a growing number of topics that we think provide a good foundation for any web designer. We're also working on the requirements for formal qualifications, so you can start collecting evidence of your skills towards a formal qualification in your country. Of course, if you have anything to add or improve then please join us and contribute!
What you can learn here 
The following topics have been ordered to help provide a pathway for you to learn the main skills of web design. Of course, you might deviate from that path—or create a new path!
- Build a basic web page —Get started creating your own web pages and learning how to style them! You will also find valuable information on what makes a good web design. All of this information is fundamental to getting started.
- Build a small website —Building on your skills to create structured HTML content that can be styled and laid out with your stylesheets (Includes 10 CSS Challenges!)
- Developing a Client Project —Applying your HTML/CSS skills to your first real client project where you'll learn some project management, information architecture and usability along the way! Now featuring the Information Architecture Challenges
- An Introduction to Dynamic Websites with PHP—Learn the basics of server-side scripting, including page templates and form handling. Now including PHP Challenges!
Each topic includes an outline, suggested activities and learning resources to help you along your way.
Topics under development 
- Using the Internet as a Learning Tool – Start learning how you can keep up-to-date with the world of web-design.
- Design Principles for Web Design – Before getting too technical, get started with some all important graphic design principles as they're applied to the web!
- Emerging Technologies – There are some pretty nifty tools and technologies constantly working their way into Web design... start to find out about them! Now with XML Challenges.
- Accessibility – Start using the right practices from the start!
- Design Suggestions – Suggestions for Design resources.
- Getting Your Site On the Web – So you've got your site, now you need to get it on the web for everyone to see!
- Useful Applications – Make sure you have the right tools for the job! Here you'll find a listing of HTML/CSS editors both WYSIWYG and text-based.
- CSS – Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
- Dynamic websites
Some countries offer official Web design certificates and qualifications. This course is intended to help those who would like to obtain such a qualification.
See also 
- Web design (in Wikipedia)
External Links 
- Designrfix.com - Web Design Resources – Daily Inspiration and useful online Resources for Web Design and Graphic Design.
- HTMLDog - A resource for best practice guides to XHTML and CSS.
- eMarketeer - Professional Web Design Training.
HTML: What is HTML, Advanced HTML Tutorial, HTML Challenges, Lists and Tables, The Structure of HTML, Pen and Paper HTML activities
CSS: Learning Basic HTML and CSS, CSS challenges, Embedded CSS, Basic HTML and CSS Tutorial, Inline CSS, Develop cascading style sheets
PHP: Simple functions in PHP, Dynamic websites, PHP challenges, Dynamic websites with PHP, Generating a receipt with PHP, Responding to HTML forms with PHP,
XML: XML challenges
Databases: Creating Database Tables
Projects: A small website project, A step-by-step web design project, Build a basic web page, Build a small website
Activities: Web design group learning activities, Pen and Paper HTML activities, A Web Design Quiz show, Ordering Tasks for a Web Project, Paired Bio Pages, Scoping a Small Project, Emerging Technologies Research Activities
Project management: An introduction to Project Management, Developing a Client Project
Design: Accessibility, Design Principles for Web Design, Design Suggestions
Testing: Testing Website performance, Website Performance Test Plan
Publishing: Getting Your Site On the Web
Certification and standards: Cert IV Website Qualifications in Australia, Australian Qualifications, Web design qualifications
Professional development: Developing your online portfolio, Contribute to personal skill development and learning, Useful Applications, Useful Books, Emerging Technologies, Using the Internet as a Learning Tool
Course meta-information: Web Design, About the web design learning project, New Structure, Sample Timetable
Hits this month for the page Web design - (Hold down CTRL key to display in separate tab in browser)