Introduction to Portuguese
- Course presentation: Bem vindo Welcome
March 9, 2009. This beautiful language course needs a lot of work. We are all here to help you.
There are two important Portuguese language variations, almost identical: the European Portuguese (used in Portugal), and the Brazilian Portuguese. The European Portuguese is the original Portuguese (since Brazil was first colonized by Portugal more than 500 years ago), but the Brazilian Portuguese became relevant because of many reasons: Brazil is now the 8th biggest economy in the world (Wikipedia), its variation is spoken by more than 200 million people, and there is a lot more literature printed in that style. More books are printed in Brazilian Portuguese not only because of the greater population of Brazil, but also because Portugal is part of Europe, where people tend to learn many languages, so many researchers and readers in Portugal read original books printed in other European languages, like English, French and Spanish, while in Brazil many books are translated by publishers.
There is some debate about this two variations, but we will not encourage that controversy. If I was learning Portuguese I would choose one variation, and don`t worry about the other for now: learning a language is already challenging. This issue is no big deal. Wiki editors can contribute with the variation they know best. Both are correct (There is an extensive Policy about the use of Portuguese variations in Wikiversidade: Versões da Língua Portuguesa). We are brothers! Somos irmãos. Have a nice study, we are under development.
- Suggested Prerequisites:
- Disciplina Discipline
- Motivação Motivation
- Time investment: Vá devagar, estude um pouco todo dia. Go slow, study a little every day.
- Assessment suggestions: try reading some short paragraphs in Wikiversidade
- Faculty: Humanities
- School: School:Language and Literature
- Department: Topic:Language Acquisition
By the end of this course you should be able to invite a girl for dinner, a boy to the movies, to prepare two drinks called caipirinha, and Porto Tônica, and to be easily understood in Portuguese.
- Study guide: (under development)
- Wikipedia article: Portuguese language
- Learning materials and learning projects can be used by multiple departments. Cooperate with other departments that use the same learning resource.
Learning materials and learning projects are located in the main Wikiversity namespace. Simply make a link to the name of the lesson (lessons are independent pages in the main namespace) and start writing!
- Lesson 1: My first Portuguese lesson
- Lesson 2: Portuguese Alphabet
- Lesson 3: Portuguese Pronunciation
- Lesson 4: Portuguese Grammar
- Lesson 5: Portuguese Verbs
- Lesson 6: Portuguese Phrases
- Lesson 7: Portuguese Proverbs
- Lesson 8: Portuguese Slang
- Lesson 9: Conversational Portuguese