Useful Resources And News Links For Sierra Leone
- Sierra_Leone ~ all the usual Wiki country background information.
- http://www.lawrence.edu/dept/religious_studies/aysesierraleone/sierraleone.html ~ for a beautiful personal photographic account of one woman’s perceptions of the country plus some useful background info.
- Moyamba_District ~ for info specifically on our district, Moyamba, in the Southern Province.
- https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/sl.html ~ Features map and brief descriptions of the geography, people, government, economy, communications, transportation, military etc.
- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/africa ~ great source of news on Sierra Leone and includes video clips and occasional radio extracts/iplayer items on Sierra Leone.
- http://www.slhc-uk.org.uk ~ The Sierra Leone High Commission in London with diplomatic and consular information including visa applications.
- allAfrica.com ~ is among the Internet's largest content sites, posting over 1000 stories daily in English and French and offering a diversity of multi-lingual streaming programming as well as over 900,000 articles in a searchable archive.
- http://www.who.int/countries/sle/en ~ the World Health Organisation website with plenty of useful health info including a country health profile etc.
- http://www.stopblooddiamonds.org/sierra-leone-conflict-diamonds.asp ~ for some background info on diamond mining and the connection with conflict in Sierra Leone.
- http://data.worldbank.org/country/sierra-leone ~ for information, statistics and graphs on SL economic issues
- Sierra Leone's Hydro-Power Dam Lighting Up Freetown: Article about Bumbuna Dam
- President Koroma sacks Energy Minister as electricity supply becomes an election issue electricity supply is an important political issue (January 2012)
- Costing the Earth - Electrifying Africa: Beyond the Grid a progamme by Tom Heap which talks about Sunny Money,
- Sunny Money over 300,000 solar lights sold
- Azuri from solar power to link to internet access. Indigo is their product. they are based at: St John’s Innovation Centre, Cowley Road, Cambridge, UK CB4 0WS.
Free The Children
- Global learning resources
- ICT/Maths project done at Notre Dame in Norwich linked with Malawi (see 7.4 Water of Life)
- Maternal health in Sierra Leone P4C enquiry activity for KS2-3 based on Guardian images http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-development/gallery/2011/apr/28/sierra-leonefree-healthcare-in-pictures
- “Memories of Love”. Second novel by Sierra Leonean-Scottish novelist and broadcaster Aminatta Forna.
http://belindaotas.com/?p=4427 ~ Interview with Aminatta Forna.
- Sierra Leone Web ~ an independent website, not affiliated with any institution, organisation or government. Lots of information, historical documents, photo gallery and a very extensive bibliography.
Transatlantic Slave Trade. Plenty of info online but Global Thinking also has lots of materials, resources, lesson plans (Insight into Slavery for KS3 up) related to this and in particular, the links with the local i.e. the Fens. Just ask!