Introduction to Programming/Help
This is the help page for Introduction to Programming. Please feel free to post questions here. It is recommended that each new topic should be in its own section. A new topic may be started with a pair of double equal-sign characters like so:
== This is the title of my topic == My question goes here.
Please start new topics below this line.
Aquiring Web tools
Hello, I am working on a website for a non-profit agency. I would like to incorporate a link similar to your Donations counter banner/link on my site. How do I go about acquiring the template/code?Cambucha2 21:19, 15 November 2008 (UTC)Cambucha2
- I see you haven't gotten a response, yet. One suggestion is to post at the bottom of Help Pages, where we generally look for questions. Another is to post to the Colloquium, which might be more appropriate for this type of question: Colloquium. StuRat 18:19, 17 November 2008 (UTC)
Implementing compilable scripts
Hello, I'm working on a simple "game-making" program, and I have problems selecting a proper scripting language. I need a language that has C-like syntax, and can be interpreted by the program itself, converted into C++ code, and then compiled along with that code. I've been looking at different scripting languages (including, but not limited to CSL, CH, GameMonkey, PHP...), with no luck.
Please help me select the right thing!
PS: This project is open-source (just in case anyone didn't want to help a commercial project) --Tim 15:01, 17 August 2007 (UTC)
- I doubt if I will have a solution, but some more info might help others give you a solution. For example, what operating system is this on ? What type of games would these be ? Graphics oriented ? Logic puzzles ? StuRat 05:41, 18 August 2007 (UTC)
DOS pointer size
what is size of pointer variable in different processors and operating systems?
how to use it efficiently? any tricks or solutions?
- This won't be a complete answer, but I've used various sized pointers for sorting programs, and it's most efficient to use the minimum pointer size needed to address the maximum number of elements to be sorted. An INT*2 (2 byte integer, or 16 bits assuming an 8 bit byte size) can address 2^16 or 65,536 records. An INT*4 can address 2^32 or almost 4.3 billion records. There really wouldn't be any advantage to only using a portion of a byte, as the computer will copy an entire byte at a time, anyway. I suggest doing some benchmark testing with various sized pointers to see if there is a noticeable effect on performance. In a program where you only have a few pointers and don't do much with them, the size of the pointer won't have any measurable effect on performance. StuRat 06:21, 4 January 2008 (UTC)
I recently downloaded an AI chat program which can be learnt anything. I need a page which learns key words to help it structure more sentences.Intelligent9876522 17:37, 27 August 2008 (UTC)
- If I understand you correctly, you have an Artificial Intelligence program which learns a language by having you type in sentences. In this case, any properly structured sentences should work, you don't need anything specific. What's this program called ? StuRat 00:54, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
Dobot.Intelligent9876522 16:29, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
Help with intro to programming
I have a question that asks me to write a algorithm that prompts the user's to enter his or her height and stores the user's input in a variable named height
- In what software language? --Abd 13:55, 4 September 2011 (UTC)