Digital Media Concepts/Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, released November 10th, 2009, is the sixth installment in the Call of Duty series, created by Infinity Ward. This particular game is the 2nd out of 3 in the Modern Warfare series. This game is available across multiple platforms, such as PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. Modern Warfare 2, or MW2 for short, is a first person shooter game that takes the player through three different game-modes, campaign, multiplayer, and special operations.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
The gameplay consists of 3 main game-modes, campaign, multiplayer, and special operations.
- Campaign:The campaign takes the player through an intricate story involving a mass war between America and Russia. The gameplay mechanics in campaign are very similar to majority of the first person shooters created during that time. There are 4 difficulties that the player can choose from: Recruit, Regular, Hardened, and Veteran. It is a boots on the ground type of shooter, which means that the player cannot fly etc. unless in an aircraft. The story is already set, so there aren't any options that the player has to decide from, it is a straightforward action packed story from start to finish, leaving the player anxious to find out what happens in Modern Warfare 3.
- Multiplayer: Multiplayer is the second game mode that allows the player to play with other players locally or globally (internet access required). Every player starts off at level one, and with their progress in the game, they level up. In the multiplayer lobby, the player is able to create his or her class. In the Create a Class section, the player can choose between different primary weapons and secondary weapons. The primary weapon categories include Sniper Rifles, Assault Rifles, Light Machine Guns, Sub Machine Guns, and a shield. The secondary weapon categories include Handguns, Machine Pistols, Shotguns, and Launchers. Being able to pick one primary and one secondary weapon, the player may now choose one item from the equipment category and one from the secondary grenade category. The equipment category contains explosives, a throw-able knife, a spawn marker that will mark your next spawn after death, and an explosives shield. The secondary grenade category contains items that will stun or disorient your opponent, or give you some cover with a smoke grenade. Now the player must decide what perks they want in that class. The perks are meant to help the player out in combat, and they may choose three. After this, the player will choose a Death Streak, which will give the player a small boost if things are consistently going bad. Once this process is complete, the player can join a public match or play locally. There are many different game-modes inside the Multiplayer category. The top 3 game-modes would be Team Deathmatch, Free-for-All, and Search and Destroy. Team Deathmatch is a simple 6 versus 6 match. The first team to get a collective 75 kills in under 10 minutes wins. Free-for-All is just as the name describes it. There are no teams, just players versus players with a maximum of 8 people in one game. First to 30 wins. Search and Destroy is a much more complex mode. Two teams, maximum 6 people on each, will each have an objective, and no respawns. One team will be given a bomb, and must plant and detonate it at one of two locations to score a point. The other team must defend the bomb, and defuse it if planted to score a point. They have 45 seconds to defuse once the bomb is planted. If all players on one team are killed, the other team gets one point. The match ends when one team wins 4 rounds.
- Special Operations: Special Operations, also known as Spec Ops, is the third main game-mode in MW2. It features a variety of short and long missions set aside from the main story to complete with different difficulties. Some of the missions are ripped from the first Modern Warfare, and slightly altered to add more content to the game. Other missions give the player an objective to complete in an area that was already present in the main campaign. These missions do not directly relate or alter the main story in any way. This game mode can be played solo, or with another person online or locally.
Main Characters[edit | edit source]
- Gary "Roach" Sanderson: One of the playable characters
- Captain John "Soap" Mactavish: Another playable character, but he is the players leader in many missions.
- Captain Josh Price: Soap's partner
- Lt. General Shepherd: Commander of the U.S. forces
- Lt. Simon "Ghost" Riley: Fights alongside Soap and Roach
- Vladimir Makarov: The main antagonist, appears in all of the Modern Warfare games.
Controversy  [edit | edit source]
This game was very well known around the world, but one particular mission caused a lot of controversy and ended up getting the game banned in some regions. The mission, "No Russian" depicted a graphic massacre of innocent people in an airport in Moscow. This mission caused many problems and complaints, so Infinity Ward ended up giving a prompt asking if the player would like to skip the mission before it started. This mission caused the game to be completely banned and recalled in Russia. There are many controversies involved with this mission, many people think it was unnecessary, but others think that it was one of the main points in the storyline.
Developers[edit | edit source]
Developed by Infinity Ward and Aspyr.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2'" accessed September 20, 2017, http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Call_of_Duty:_Modern_Warfare_2
- "There’s No Reason for 'No Russian' to Exist in ‘Modern Warfare 2," accessed September 20, 2017,https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/4x44yp/theres-no-reason-for-no-russian-to-exist-in-modern-warfare-2
- "The Designer of Call of Duty's 'No Russian' Massacre Wanted You to Feel Something," accessed September 20, 2017, https://kotaku.com/5931235/the-designer-of-call-of-dutys-no-russian-massacre-wanted-you-to-feel-something
- "Updated: Modern Warfare 2 banned in Russia due to civilian massacre scene," accessed September 20, 2017,https://venturebeat.com/2009/11/16/modern-warfare-2-banned-in-russia-due-to-civilian-massacre-scene/