Topic:Engineering/Free or open source design tools
Tools which may be useful to participants in engineering studies, research and development. Please add tools and concise evaluations as they become available.
- Looks extensive, useful and increasingly so. Not terribly easy to install and maintain for a computer neophyte.
- Finite element analysis package. Freeware with C source code downloadable. Program documentation available in English, German and Greek.
- List of links to open source or free engineering assets.
- List of Free Math tools maintained by the Wikiversity School of Mathematics
- GUI based geometry editor. Includes some analytical functions, geometric shapes, conic sections and exports to several formats including SVG. Good for sketching and diagrams.
- Math analysis and plotting tool for Linux/KDE desktop environment. Superimposes functions on precise plots and allows export to bmp, png, and svg.
- 3D CAD tool
- Computer-aided engineering platform (CAD, kinematics, analysis)
- Electric Editor VLSI CAD system. Available under the GNU Public License.
- Latest version at ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/electric .
- Alliance CAD tools available under the GNU Public License.
- Screencasts created by faculty at the University of Colorado to help students study engineering topics. Also includes resources for instructors.