User talk:SB Johnny
I'm not archiving anymore. It's all there under the "history" tab. Bits will be recycled when I feel like they should be recycled.
Currently working to get unbanned at en.Wikipedia, if you'd like me to do clear some sysop backlogs here, I'm happy to help - will have the time in a week or two.
- No problem, but could you please update your RfC (=RfA on WP) page, explain it there, and transclude it where it's supposed to be transcluded? It's just a matter of dotting the i's and crossing the t's (bureaucrats are supposed to be bureaucratic, after all). --SB_Johnny talk 17:30, 23 May 2012 (UTC)
- Just checking in to see if you have more to add re: Collingwood's RfB? -- Jtneill - Talk - c 11:53, 29 January 2013 (UTC)
Dave Braunschweig[edit source]
If you approve, could you please make Dave Braunschweig a probationary custodian? Wikiversity:Candidates for Custodianship/Dave Braunschweig -- Jtneill - Talk - c 00:46, 8 February 2013 (UTC)
Ditto - Wikiversity:Candidates for Custodianship/Sidelight12 -- Jtneill - Talk - c 00:48, 8 February 2013 (UTC)
To do[edit source]
FYI, when you get a chance, the priorities are:
- Sidelight12/Dave Brunschweig (-> + Probationary custodian?)
- Mathonius/Ruy Pugliesi (-> + Nomination for full custodianship?)
Hi, sorry for writing in English. I'm writing to ask you, as a bureaucrat of this wiki, to translate and review the notification that will be sent to all users, also on this wiki, who will be forced to change their user name on May 27 and will probably need your help with renames. You may also want to help with the pages m:Rename practices and m:Global rename policy. Thank you, Nemo 13:08, 3 May 2013 (UTC)
Can you please help me be a custodian ---Dong! by Draubb
Hi SB Johnny (I like the username), I want to become a custodian and right now, I am on Wikiversity:Candidates for Custodianship and now, I need many people and users to help me out. You may not know, but there are some harmful and useless pages out there, even some dangerous users. So if you want Wikiversity to be sparkling clean! Please grant me my wish to be custodian. You can reply on my discussion page or Wikiversity:Candidates for Custodianship/Draubb! Bye! Draubb (discuss • contribs) 00:49, 19 May 2013 (UTC)
An important message about renaming users[edit source]
Dear SB Johnny,
I am cross-posting this message to many places to make sure everyone who is a Wikimedia Foundation project bureaucrat receives a copy. If you are a bureaucrat on more than one wiki, you will receive this message on each wiki where you are a bureaucrat.
As you may have seen, work to perform the Wikimedia cluster-wide single-user login finalisation (SUL finalisation) is taking place. This may potentially effect your work as a local bureaucrat, so please read this message carefully.
Why is this happening? As currently stated at the global rename policy, a global account is a name linked to a single user across all Wikimedia wikis, with local accounts unified into a global collection. Previously, the only way to rename a unified user was to individually rename every local account. This was an extremely difficult and time-consuming task, both for stewards and for the users who had to initiate discussions with local bureaucrats (who perform local renames to date) on every wiki with available bureaucrats. The process took a very long time, since it's difficult to coordinate crosswiki renames among the projects and bureaucrats involved in individual projects.
The SUL finalisation will be taking place in stages, and one of the first stages will be to turn off Special:RenameUser locally. This needs to be done as soon as possible, on advice and input from Stewards and engineers for the project, so that no more accounts that are unified globally are broken by a local rename to usurp the global account name. Once this is done, the process of global name unification can begin. The date that has been chosen to turn off local renaming and shift over to entirely global renaming is 15 September 2014, or three weeks time from now. In place of local renames is a new tool, hosted on Meta, that allows for global renames on all wikis where the name is not registered will be deployed.
Your help is greatly needed during this process and going forward in the future if, as a bureaucrat, renaming users is something that you do or have an interest in participating in. The Wikimedia Stewards have set up, and are in charge of, a new community usergroup on Meta in order to share knowledge and work together on renaming accounts globally, called Global renamers. Stewards are in the process of creating documentation to help global renamers to get used to and learn more about global accounts and tools and Meta in general as well as the application format. As transparency is a valuable thing in our movement, the Stewards would like to have at least a brief public application period. If you are an experienced renamer as a local bureaucrat, the process of becoming a part of this group could take as little as 24 hours to complete. You, as a bureaucrat, should be able to apply for the global renamer right on Meta by the requests for global permissions page on 1 September, a week from now.
In the meantime please update your local page where users request renames to reflect this move to global renaming, and if there is a rename request and the user has edited more than one wiki with the name, please send them to the request page for a global rename.
Stewards greatly appreciate the trust local communities have in you and want to make this transition as easy as possible so that the two groups can start working together to ensure everyone has a unique login identity across Wikimedia projects. Completing this project will allow for long-desired universal tools like a global watchlist, global notifications and many, many more features to make work easier.
If you have any questions, comments or concerns about the SUL finalisation, read over the Help:Unified login page on Meta and leave a note on the talk page there, or on the talk page for global renamers. You can also contact me on my talk page on meta if you would like. I'm working as a bridge between Wikimedia Foundation Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Stewards, and you to assure that SUL finalisation goes as smoothly as possible; this is a community-driven process and I encourage you to work with the Stewards for our communities.
Wikiversity:Candidates for Custodianship/Dave Braunschweig#Voting for full custodianship[edit source]
- Is this all taken care of now? Sorry for the pause, saw this a while back but forgot all about it. --SB_Johnny talk 23:21, 25 September 2014 (UTC)
Wikiversity:Candidates for Custodianship/Marshallsumter[edit source]
Marshallsumter has indicated his interest in becoming a probationary custodian. I am willing to mentor. As the community has already had the required five days to question this candidate and no objections were raised, could you please add Custodian user rights to Marshallsumter? Thanks! -- Dave Braunschweig (discuss • contribs) 01:03, 7 October 2014 (UTC)
- FYI, This was done by Jtneill, and Marshall is now permanent. --Abd (discuss • contribs) 18:18, 8 March 2015 (UTC)
Can you look this over[edit source]
I've posted on RCA, and someone uninvolved needs to look over it. Can you please look over it, then Dave falsely accuses me of harassment, when it's abd who pushes his way around, and Dave enables it. He is involved and closed many things within 3 hours of me posting it.  This is the latest one. I am sorry to bother you with this, but this behavior is pathetic. Thank you for your time. - Sidelight12 Talk 10:18, 7 December 2014 (UTC)
- Hmmm. Looks like there's probably a boatload of background to this that I'm not hip to and presumably would require many hours of non-leisurely reading. I'd rather not go there, sorry. --SB_Johnny talk 15:02, 7 December 2014 (UTC)
Your mentorship of Ruy Pugliesi[edit source]
Wikiversity:Candidates for Custodianship/Ruy Pugliesi is a loose end. I have pinged Ruy and he'd like to continue, see . Will you make a recommendation re permanent status per our procedure? If I may be of any assistance, let me know! Thanks. --Abd (discuss • contribs) 18:32, 8 March 2015 (UTC)
- Sure, I should have time in the next few days. --SB_Johnny talk 17:53, 10 March 2015 (UTC)
Wikiversity:Candidates for Custodianship/Ruy Pugliesi is invited. Thanks. --Abd (discuss • contribs) 20:15, 22 March 2015 (UTC)Done Yesterday. Your review on
Bloom Clock[edit source]
Hello SB Johnny,
In 2007 you were one of the initiators of learning project Bloom Clock (https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Bloom_Clock). Do you think it is possible to use the wikidata project to organize plants on colour? Could you help me set this up?
- Hey, it is not possible, because Wikidata does not have majorly such data. If there is a task force, which would introduce that property on d and than load it, we may talk about using it. Still we know somene skilled in parsing. Basically I was just thinking about the same, but if there is not a group of people interested with some advanced wikiprogramming knoledge it wouldnt work.--Juandev (discuss • contribs) 12:39, 13 March 2018 (UTC)
Spotted lanternfly invasion sounds like something they'd watch on Mystery Science Theater ;)
- Heya Mike! They're actually pretty surreal when they go into Rave mode, kind of pretty but definitely disturbing. Lost your number ages ago when a phone died, sorry about that. Doing well otherwise, took a year off from all things wiki after the election, but want to see what can be done here for SLF and a few other things. Maybe they have a budget for data collection projects now that they aren't using shoestrings? --SB_Johnny talk 15:15, 28 January 2018 (UTC)
- Yeah, I also lost yours in a phone fiasco. Ping me if you'd like to chat and catch up. The story of astronomer and amateur entomologist Étienne Léopold Trouvelot and his Gypsy Moths is legendary in my neck of the woods. I can remember my father struggling to control the outbreaks here when I was young. Jeesh, that closeup image of one is crazy. It looks like something out of Avatar. Are we sure that they're not extraterrestrial? It's great to see you back on wiki! --mikeu talk 14:50, 4 February 2018 (UTC)
Keys and DPL[edit source]
we are just refreshing Czech Bloom Clock and I came to creation of Keys, which is not so easy to understand how it works. What kind of lists do you create and how you make them? DPL script is a bot? Can I access it somewhere, or how does it work?--Juandev (discuss • contribs) 12:41, 13 March 2018 (UTC)
How we will see unregistered users[edit source]
You get this message because you are an admin on a Wikimedia wiki.
When someone edits a Wikimedia wiki without being logged in today, we show their IP address. As you may already know, we will not be able to do this in the future. This is a decision by the Wikimedia Foundation Legal department, because norms and regulations for privacy online have changed.
Instead of the IP we will show a masked identity. You as an admin will still be able to access the IP. There will also be a new user right for those who need to see the full IPs of unregistered users to fight vandalism, harassment and spam without being admins. Patrollers will also see part of the IP even without this user right. We are also working on better tools to help.
We have two suggested ways this identity could work. We would appreciate your feedback on which way you think would work best for you and your wiki, now and in the future. You can let us know on the talk page. You can write in your language. The suggestions were posted in October and we will decide after 17 January.
Thank you. /Johan (WMF)
18:14, 4 January 2022 (UTC)
Activity Review[edit source]
Wikiversity has adopted a policy that expects users with administrative rights to be active participants and to regularly use those rights (at least five edits and five actions within the last 12 months). It appears that you are no longer active at Wikiversity and do not currently have a need for administrative rights.
If you would prefer to retain your administrative role, please rejoin us with your contributions and support. If your account remains inactive, we will need to request that stewards remove your administrative rights. Let me know if you have any questions, and thank you for your previous efforts on our behalf.