User talk:McCormack

From Wikiversity
Jump to: navigation, search
Sunset at Huntington Beach.jpg McCormack is taking a short wikibreak and will be back on Wikiversity soon.

/Archive 2007 | /Archive Jan-Feb 2008

Contents

We need "non-technical" people helping to make the "technical" pages![edit]

Hi McCormack -

I have made some suggestions that you may be interested in reading here: http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Colloquium#Making_Technical_Wikiversity_Topics_Better_Teaching_Tools

The summary is that we need "non-technical" people helping to create the "technical" content sites. I am a "technical" guy myself, so unfortunately I can't help much with my own vision! But I would like to offer my assistance (I'm not sure how, I'm hoping you will have some ideas!) to pursue these ideas.

Daviddoria 14:02, 11 June 2010 (UTC)

Learning resources[edit]

Hi McCormack,

I am interested in helping to categorize pages, in order to highlight valuable learning resources. Only Cormac responded positive as well. Brent doesn't like the process.--Daanschr 08:20, 7 March 2008 (UTC)

Hi Daan. Thanks for your message. I'm glad to hear you would like to help with this. How would you like to approach things? I'm capable of giving megalomaniac instructions, but a more consensus-based approach is "nicer". One of the things I'm waiting for is the activation of the subpagelist extension, so that we can start a subpage reorganisation - i.e. get lost pages back into their learning projects as subpages. Another way forward is to experiment with the DPL tag to identify organisational problems. --McCormack 08:49, 7 March 2008 (UTC)

I have put some suggestions on Wikiversity talk:Learning resources. I agree that consensus based is better. Otherwise conflicts might arise that could have been avoided. At the moment Wikiversity is rather small, so we will surely have a lack of personnel. I will take a look at the sibpage question. I don't know what DPL is.--Daanschr 12:43, 7 March 2008 (UTC)

My remark about age was a bit too pointy. I wanted to revert it now, but you already read it.--Daanschr 15:58, 7 March 2008 (UTC)

Japanese Wikiversity[edit]

Hello McCormack JApanese wikiversity was approved i will notify you when it will be created to change the main portal.--ZaDiak 16:49, 11 March 2008 (UTC)

Extension[edit]

ping, ----Erkan Yilmaz Wikiversity:Chat 22:23, 11 March 2008 (UTC)

In search of the simple life...[edit]

Better stucture, not more commands

I am a teacher at Wikiversity because I like to teach. So to answer your question, "NO" I do not wish to be a Sys-Op.
  • The reason is a total lack of time. Already, I am running as fast as I can.
And, "Yes", the problem might go away if Wiki was designed with a better file structure systems which is easier for teachers to work with. Robert Elliott 14:27, 12 March 2008 (UTC)


Adding some structure to my life[edit]

A normal course with normal structure
I understand that many people prefer to more progressive methods of learning but I just want to do a traditional set of 10 courses, each containing 10 to 20 lessons, each with four to six lesson pages (separate steps that must be done in order)... along with separate pages for each pop quiz or practical example. All lessons are concluded with a page containing all of the completed assignments.
Each of these courses is part of a large school department or other structure. So what every I do, it must also reflect where I am in the structure of Wikiversity.
Getting started
When I write a course, I have no idea where it will go. I know the final goal but I do not know how to get the students there.
First, I rough out a set of lessons (such as the course for film scoring for filmmakers) and then fill in the missing pages. As soon as it becomes clear that students are not understanding something, I have to reorder the lessons or the pages of the lesson and I have to add more lessons or pages of lessons. If this does not work, I write a parallel course (such as Film Scoring For Musicians) and incorporate pages from the other course which seem to work and add new lessons and lesson pages.
The one thing that the designers of Wiki seem to ignore is I must create all my rough work on line where everyone can see it. These pages are either eventually cleaned up or abandoned. The course for film scoring for filmmakers has been abandoned and some of the pages from this course are now used in the film scoring course for musicians. Those pages are still out there somewhere. They should be in a folder called unneeded pages.
I need folders, not sub pages
I need is a set of folders which I put pages in. This is exactly like a table of contents for text book. It must look like simple folders but in reality it generates the structure for my courses.
Example
Here is how it works.
  1. When I put a page in a course folder, that page becomes the introductory page of the course. If I do not like the page later, I can fix it or I can remove it and replace it with an entire new page.
  1. When I put a folder called "lessons" in the folder of the course, any pages that I put in this folder becomes a lesson of that course.
  2. But when I put a folder in the lesson folder, that becomes a folder for all of the lesson pages.
  3. When I put a page on a lesson folder, it becomes the introductory page of the lesson.
  4. When I put a page in the lesson page folder in the lesson folder, that page becomes the start of a page of an actual lesson.
At any time, I can move a page from one folder to another and the page will take on new meaning. A lesson page in one lesson, if moved to a different lesson, becomes a lesson page of the other lesson. This should be easy and totally automatic.
Navigation
Then when I look at my pages, I want to see all of the navigation buttons fully populated with the correct addresses. Once I have done all the work of organizing my lessons, I don't want to have to start all over again creating a navigation system. That is what I have to do now for EACH course. Why make me do more work when I have already done it by defining lesson, lesson pages, pop quiz, example, completed assignments, etc.
Name Changes
When I create the name of the document (which then automatically appears in the navigation buttons), when I need to change the name (probably because I also need to reorganized the pages), I should be able just to type a name and that new name is reflected throughout the entire navigation of the course.
When I write or build anything, I am like a artist carving a figure from stone. I keep chipping away until the shape seems is correct. I will probably change the order and the names of my lesson page half a dozen times. With the current system, the original pages continue to float around WikiLand forever. What a mess! ~~~~ Robert Elliott 09:27, 16 March 2008 (UTC)
  • All of these are long term changes, not something which can be done in 2009. Slowly, there needs to be a project which defines the needs of the next generation of Wikiversity. That is where these comments should go. My comments are only about well structured lessons but that will be an important element of Wikiversity II. ~~~~ Robert Elliott 15:46, 24 March 2008 (UTC)

Re:[edit]

I've responded on my talkpage as best as I could. Terra What do you want? 10:40, 15 March 2008 (UTC)

Re:Please go ahead with your custodianship request[edit]

Hi there, thank you for the message you've placed on my talkpage if your fine with me going through with the request then I'll be happy to proceed. Terra What do you want? 18:24, 15 March 2008 (UTC)

well, thank you.[edit]

Thank you. I find this to be a worthwhile project, and I admire and appreciate you're contributions in kind. --Remi 22:41, 15 March 2008 (UTC)


Help:User contributions[edit]

I've copied the User Contributions page from Meta and transferred it here, it's this fine. It's on every wiki site which I've come across and have stated that the content was from a Master copy. Terra Welcome to my talkpage 12:44, 20 March 2008 (UTC)

Grand schemes[edit]

  • Sigh* I know - and you're absolutely right - and thanks a million! I'm running out the door at the moment, and on holidays tomorrow, but I'd like to extend this idea actually - have a better grand scheme for all development initiatives - perhaps linked from the community portal or even (main page)... Cormaggio talk 17:33, 20 March 2008 (UTC)

Thanks[edit]

for the welcome. I was zz =)

Your wish[edit]

"I would like to see sebmol retired from WV bureaucracy." May I ask why? sebmol ? 23:27, 21 March 2008 (UTC)

Can I expect a response? sebmol ? 13:14, 24 March 2008 (UTC)
Still too busy? sebmol ? 21:12, 2 May 2008 (UTC)

category trees[edit]

That looks highly interesting, I will definitely take a look at it and probably play with it some. I need to figure out its exact mechanics first, though. Thanks. : ) --Remi 18:05, 22 March 2008 (UTC)

Do you know any way to display a category tree in multiple columns? e.g., for School:Psychology#Topics. -- Jtneill - Talk 12:39, 27 April 2008 (UTC)
How can a CategoryTree be forced to be closed by default? -- Jtneill - Talk 15:34, 27 April 2008 (UTC)
Thanks for the pointer to mw:Extension:CategoryTree. I'm not having much luck with trying out the example syntax from there though: School:Psychology#Topics. Any ideas? -- Jtneill - Talk 15:57, 27 April 2008 (UTC)
FYI, I've moved my CategoryTree testing to User:Jtneill/Wikiversity/CategoryTree. -- Jtneill - Talk 16:13, 27 April 2008 (UTC)

Vision & Multimedia[edit]

Thanks for finding ways to harness momentum, ideas, etc. And for looking into the Multimedia options. I would like to see it done properly, so that the functionality would be available across appropriate WM foundation projects. At this stage it looks well out of my league. But perhaps we can start by initially deciding whether such functions are priorities for the WV and, if so, getting it into our mission/vision/goals, etc. I am happy to do whatever I can.

From a purely selfish POV, in transferring my materials from the university's confluence wiki system to wikiversity, I think the only part I can't currently replicate is the embedding of slideshare lectures (which are in .odp files). I am trying WikiEducator, where it looks like its possible, but very far from user-friendly or easy to work out the code. So, I will probably end up with the presentations embedded over there - unless perhaps something can be worked on the sandbox server for WV? The main reason I prefer embedding to sending students to slideshare is pedagogical - by embedding I can control and provide a clean screen/interface. Slideshare pages have too many adverts for my liking, but they do a great job of hosting, sharing, and showing presentations. Google have recently released their version of slidesharing, which has some way to catchup, but may eventually become the preferred option. -- Jtneill - Talk 00:49, 23 March 2008 (UTC)

using the template namespace for boxed-section content transclusions[edit]

What do you think about putting transcluded pages used for content boxes in the template namespace to avoid having so many content snippets in topic, portal, and school namespaces? Then these could always be forked and put in other namespaces. --Remi 07:54, 23 March 2008 (UTC)

  • Hi again and thanks for your message. I didn't quite catch the context of your message - i.e. perhaps you could give a few examples? But "yes", in principle it's probably a good idea. --McCormack 08:06, 23 March 2008 (UTC)
I'm suggesting that instead of having templates like Template:Department place pages like Topic:Elasticity/Quotes in the topic namespace, that they go in the template namespace, maybe using {{BASEPAGENAME}}. I would be glad to do it, but I think it would be a change compared to what has been done much of the time thus far. --Remi 08:20, 23 March 2008 (UTC)
My feelings about the issue are not too strong. And unfortunately I am unable to be much help to you on those technical matters.

That is the code on Template:Introduction 0.4: [[Image:{{#switch:{{CURRENTDAYNAME}}|Monday=Various-133-1000cf.jpg|Tuesday=Missione del Guaricano-bimbi a scuola.jpg|Wednesday=ScienceOlympiad.jpg|Thursday=Ian Mackenzie High School Classroom.jpg|Friday=Various-110-1000cf.jpg|Saturday=Learning bongos.jpg|Sunday=Discoveryclassroom.jpg}}|200px|left]] maybe that might help. --Remi 08:38, 23 March 2008 (UTC)

So, my concern is that using all the subpages for transcluded content in the topic, portal, and school namespaces seems to make the random functions less useful to varying degrees. Maybe this is okay or it can be viewed in another way. --Remi 19:07, 23 March 2008 (UTC)

Importing from Confluence[edit]

Appreciate your offer of help. Here's where I'm at:

  • Someone's off-list advice suggested that xml wouldn't be much good for importing.
  • So, I've been experimenting with html export. html via OO Writer comes through as MW syntax nicely, but its not a bulk solution. I have posted about this to the OO Writer forum and MW SOC 2008 suggestions (can find links if you want).
  • Confluence at UC seems to break on large exports - I've notified them, but it's probably just too big.
  • I've uploaded a 'manageable' 10-page zip file of an html export, with most of the typical elements e.g., hierarchical text-based pages, with one image.
  • Let me know if I can do anything.

-- Jtneill - Talk 12:57, 23 March 2008 (UTC)

Thanks, I'll try those wikificators, and keep exploring OO writer. Maybe if I had a bunch of flat html files in a folder I could get a bulk convert. Images could be stripped out, no problem. But at the end of the day I figured it was probably going come down to pretty manual conversion. It never hurts to rework the material in the process of converting, so its not a bad option, just takes longer, but the final product at WV end is probably better for the extra effort. Thanks for checking it all out and appreciate your advice. -- Jtneill - Talk 13:40, 23 March 2008 (UTC)

the concept[edit]

I saw that this morning before I checked my messages and I thought and still think that as it is now looks extraordinary nice and quite useful. Good work =) --Remi 18:06, 24 March 2008 (UTC)

It didn't seem appropriate to apply that to the templates currently in use. Perhaps something with icons would be useful for primary or secondary areas. --Remi 19:47, 24 March 2008 (UTC)

Using subpages[edit]

Hey, McCormack, thanks for the encouragement! You didn't come off as a wikidragon, but I'll tread carefully anyway ;-). You told me to ask if anything in your comment me was unclear, so I thought that I'd ask you what gave the impression that I don't use subpages? In my Study of Genesis (currently my largest contribution) I use subpages for each of the lessons in the course. Moreover, all of my non-learning plan contributions to The Department of Biblical Studies and its Center of Biblical Survey are done entirely (to my knowledge :-) using subpages.

I was trying to think of where I might not use subpages (where they may be appropriate), and I noted that none of the studies listed on the Center of Biblical Survey are subpages of the center. If this is what you were referring to, I can see where it might be desirable to make them as such. It was my impression that the general design of Wikiversity was to have learning plans as top-level pages in the main namespace, with subpages for individual lessons, etc. Then, such top-level learning plans could be grouped together by "Topic" pages, and ultimately "school" and "portal" pages.

So what I did was to create a "topic" page for the Center of Biblical Survey, which served to link together the individual courses (in the top-level, main namespace). I had considered making them all subpages of the topic page, but that seemed to go against the general design of Wikiversity, and it would make it harder to group the courses under a different topic, should such grouping be desirable.

What I did do was create a navigation bar at the top of each course's main page, showing where in the School of Theology each course resided. Was this nav bar what caused it to seem like I didn't use subpages? At any rate, let me know where I could use improvement. And sorry for this lengthy response; I wanted to make a justification for my design decisions, in case they were what prompted the comment.

Thanks for looking out for Wikiversity (and me),

--Opensourcejunkie 09:15, 25 March 2008 (UTC)
Oh, I see...how sneakily superb a way to find such misdemeanors! :) Thanks again for working to keep Wikiversty in-check and pruned. cya 'round,
--Opensourcejunkie 09:36, 25 March 2008 (UTC)

Hey, by the way. I've had a question about subpages that's been nagging me in the back of my mind, but I haven't taken the time to do the research; perhaps you can answer it. I have a page, Topic:Biblical Overview that I want to move to Topic:Biblical Survey because the name fits better with traditional universities. However, I've created a number of subpages underneath of Topic:Biblical Overview that would also need to be moved. Does the functionality also move subpages, or merely the page in question?

Any idea?

--Opensourcejunkie 10:03, 25 March 2008 (UTC)
Aight, thanks. Shouldn't be too difficult :-)
--Opensourcejunkie 10:50, 25 March 2008 (UTC)

Re: Religious policies[edit]

Wow. I'm honored that you'd think of me. I would love to be so intimately involved in the inception of such a thing, especially as I have a vested interest ;-). Now, as I've never written a wiki policy draft before, I could use a hand with some information:

  1. you mentioned that a dialogue has been going on about the potential policy; do you know where I can go to view what's already been discussed?
  2. do you know of any policy writing tutorials/faqs etc., either on here or another wikimedia project? If not I can probably wing it, but such a resource would be helpful.

Thanks for this opportunity, McCormack!

--Opensourcejunkie 13:19, 27 March 2008 (UTC)
  1. Replied: --Opensourcejunkie 13:43, 27 March 2008 (UTC)
  2. Replied: --Opensourcejunkie 13:46, 27 March 2008 (UTC)
  3. New Thread: --Opensourcejunkie 11:44, 29 March 2008 (UTC)
  4. Replied: --Opensourcejunkie 15:43, 30 March 2008 (UTC)
  5. Replied: --Opensourcejunkie 17:42, 30 March 2008 (UTC)
  6. Replied: --Opensourcejunkie 17:42, 30 March 2008 (UTC)
  7. I moved the (pertinent parts of the) discussion over to the policy's talk page. Also, I added a section defining religious scholarship.
  8. Replied: --Opensourcejunkie 12:09, 2 April 2008 (UTC)
  9. Replied: --Opensourcejunkie 12:54, 3 April 2008 (UTC)
  10. Replied: --Opensourcejunkie 13:38, 7 April 2008 (UTC)

Re:Templates for portals and schools[edit]

ping- Thuvack 09:26, 3 April 2008 (UTC)

Re:White backgrounds for tables[edit]

ping- Thuvack 06:15, 4 April 2008 (UTC)

ping-Thuvack 07:34, 4 April 2008 (UTC)

Re:Participants lists[edit]

ping- Thuvack 15:07, 3 April 2008 (UTC)

Re: Getting the background around image thumbnails right[edit]

ping- Thuvack 16:52, 4 April 2008 (UTC)

ping
ping- Thuvack 06:12, 16 April 2008 (UTC)

barnstar[edit]

Original Barnstar.png

I think I never told it since I know you: thank you for your efforts in Wikiversity. Alone from looking at your user page one can see you are a valuable asset to Wikiversity. Please keep it up, ----Erkan Yilmaz uses the Wikiversity:Chat (try) 17:14, 7 April 2008 (UTC)

Underconstruction Template[edit]

ping-Thuvack 09:04, 8 April 2008 (UTC)

Templates - Class[edit]

Could you explain how class="infobox" works e.g., on Template:About Wikiversity. Where is that infobox code stored? -- Jtneill - Talk 16:07, 9 April 2008 (UTC)

Template - Mission statement[edit]

Can you think of a nice template for Wikiversity:Mission/Current? -- Jtneill - Talk 03:38, 11 April 2008 (UTC)

A little bit more info - I would also like to be able to include the mission statement on other pages, e.g., on the OmahaUnited sisterproject interview page. -- Jtneill - Talk 03:43, 11 April 2008 (UTC)
Cool. I've contacted Cormaggio for clarification, but have also gone ahead and created Template:Mission. I also want to create Template:Vision, but first we need a vision :) Wikiversity:Vision. Can you think of a groovy template for displaying Wikiversity:Slogan? Something big, bold, centred, maybe with WV logo? -- Jtneill - Talk 03:43, 12 April 2008 (UTC)

Re:McCormack was here.[edit]

Ping- Thuvack 13:21, 11 April 2008 (UTC)

Ping - Thuvack 10:29, 15 April 2008 (UTC)
Ping -Thuvack 06:05, 16 April 2008 (UTC)

Template Automation.[edit]

Hi. I think you have seen my new look pages for Electrical Engineering courses. I've got 1 problem. I created thr following templates Template:Elec Eng Hierarchy-0 and Template:Elec Eng Hierarchy-1 I think it is a cool way to help the student/user see where the course is in the greater picture of what he/she wants to achieve. At this rate I will have to create 3 other Templates to complete the above. Is there a way I can automate the above template to achieve this: { Template ; level } i.e Create template Elec Eng Hierarchy which can accept argument of level where course belongs in. I'd be glad if you could help. Say does wikiversity support java code? I know how to achieve above using Java, I just wouldn't know where to put the code. Thanks , I'll only see your response on monday. :-) Thuvack 12:28, 12 April 2008 (UTC)

I've sort of figured out bits & pieces from Film making school and used that to create Template:Circuit Analysis Courses Content and Template:Electrical Engineering Orientation Courses Content, these have worked well you can check Electric_Circuit_Analysis & Electrical Engineering Orientation courses. I do still think that the above Template on Hierarchy is necessary and I have not found a work-arround this problem as yet. Any Ideas, Help ? wellcome.-Thuvack 06:21, 16 April 2008 (UTC)

Featured content[edit]

Could you help me to understand how 'featured content' works? I have seen Help:Portal#Updating featured content and I am interested in having a go at adding featured content (don't know what yet) to Portal:Pre-school Education. -- Jtneill - Talk 14:18, 12 April 2008 (UTC)

That's fine; plenty to do :). -- Jtneill - Talk 14:35, 12 April 2008 (UTC)

Wikiversity:Browse[edit]

I like the new layout which you've done, i've taken a Wikibreak on Wikipedia to be more active here. Shall I transfer my Help page contents in my subpage to replace the current Help:Contents and move it to Help:Contents/old. Terra 19:23, 14 April 2008 (UTC)

ping Terra 07:02, 16 April 2008 (UTC)
ping Terra 14:52, 16 April 2008 (UTC)

please...[edit]

I just created those so there would be some minimal content and the links would be blue. Please edit them and even just totally scrap what I started. I didn't realize you were intending to do something with them, especially so soon. --Remi 20:53, 14 April 2008 (UTC)

Hmm, okay. I will see what I can do... email ping. --Remi 20:58, 14 April 2008 (UTC)

Jtneill custodianship[edit]

Hi, thanks for reminding me - done! Cormaggio talk 09:32, 16 April 2008 (UTC)

Thanks for the nomination, support, etc. I'm underway. I think I'm ready to stuff beans up my nose and get wacked by trout. -- Jtneill - Talk 13:15, 16 April 2008 (UTC)
Feel free to throw/suggest tasks; for now I'm working through How to be a Wikimedia sysop and will try to improve that resource as I go along. Is it really OK to try blocking one's self - or should I try on a test account? -- Jtneill - Talk 13:43, 16 April 2008 (UTC)
The mentorship of 4 weeks have passed. Please evaluate James' performance. Thx, ----Erkan Yilmaz uses the Wikiversity:Chat (try) 06:46, 17 May 2008 (UTC)

Blocking[edit]

OK, I blocked/unblocked myself and read over Wikiversity:Blocking policy. Could you suggest how to... "determine if the address or range is allocated dynamically." -- Jtneill - Talk 14:37, 16 April 2008 (UTC)

main page .5 horizontal scroll[edit]

on firefox

on firefox

here this are... --Remi 07:34, 21 April 2008 (UTC)

Main page[edit]

Aha - I see Remi's adding screenshots too! No, I've no objections - I think, as ever, we can tweak as we go. No, I haven't seen an FAQ (apart from the existing Wikiversity:FAQ) - where is it? Cormaggio talk 12:26, 21 April 2008 (UTC)

somewhat more on transclusions-[edit]

i posted the thought on colloquium, and i was curious what you thought:

Subpages used as soley as transclusions should not be given their own page in the namespace at which they are used as transclusions. They should be in the template namespace. They arguably just contribute to clutter, especially if they serve the purpose of soley being used as a transclusion and cannot hold their own and hold no particular use wholly as an individual page. --Remi 16:06, 21 April 2008 (UTC)

untagged[edit]

Just curious if you could help me understand use of the "untagged" tool. -- Jtneill - Talk 01:33, 23 April 2008 (UTC)

FYI, thanks for the follow-ups on this one. Makes sense now. -- Jtneill - Talk 00:03, 26 April 2008 (UTC)

Random topic[edit]

"(removing random topic - it's embarrassing)" - What do you mean? --Remi 18:50, 25 April 2008 (UTC)

Perhaps it would be best to try and establish broader consensus on the issue. I can see it both ways. Personally, topics seem more accessible given the new browse page, and the namespace isn't the cleanest space... yet, it could be a really awesome namespace to stumble around inside. --Remi 23:56, 26 April 2008 (UTC)

NavFrame[edit]

Thanks for the feedback on this delete, McCormack. You're right - I need to check 'what links here'. Appreciate it. So now I've moved the content to another page and left additional comment User talk:134.67.15.6. -- Jtneill - Talk 00:06, 26 April 2008 (UTC)

SubPageList on MediaWiki 1.12[edit]

Hello McCormack, I use you nice extension for MW called "SubPageList" but it seams that it doesn't work anymore on MediaWiki 1.12. When I try to install the exentions, I have the following error while loading those extension : Fatal error: Call to undefined function wfLoadExtensionMessages() In this thread, they said that you shoud change the way you call the function wfLoadExtensionMessages() in your script. Could you do that for us ? Thanks in advance. -- Phil -- 26 april 2008

{{orphan}}[edit]

Hi, McCormack, actually I was just trying to work if there is any point to using this manual 'orphan' template, since orphaned pages are automatically listed in special pages. It seems a bit useless to me. What do you think? BTW - should all pages in the Template: namespace be categorised as at least 'Template' or a more specific type of template. Is that that the best way to organise and navigate to them? -- Jtneill - Talk 11:42, 26 April 2008 (UTC)

Oh, btw, I didn't create this template, I just came across it, played with it, pondered it. It just seems to manually duplicate what is automatically organised. But I guess it does serve to point out to future visitors/editors that a page is orphaned, which they may otherwise not realise. No big deal. -- Jtneill - Talk 15:39, 26 April 2008 (UTC)

Categorising (Psychology)[edit]

I've tried to tidy up Category:Psychology to make better use of CategoryTree. Let me know if you have any suggestions. -- Jtneill - Talk 13:05, 28 April 2008 (UTC)

Category:Psychology -- Jtneill - Talk 13:06, 28 April 2008 (UTC)
That's odd - putting the link above is putting your talk page in the category?? -- Jtneill - Talk 13:07, 28 April 2008 (UTC)
Hmmmm, but the link above has a preceding colon - yet its putting this page in the category? -- Jtneill - Talk 13:12, 28 April 2008 (UTC)
You didn't correct both links - just one. --McCormack 13:20, 28 April 2008 (UTC)

Schools[edit]

Thanks for the warning. FYI, I think I've only changed the namespace for School:Psychology as an experiment as reported on Colloquium and one particularly 'dodgy' psychology sub-school which I've moved to the mainspace. I don't intend to go any further at this stage. -- Jtneill - Talk 13:05, 28 April 2008 (UTC)

topic, school box[edit]

It seems that more specificity probably wouldn't hurt. However, it also seems that we want to avoid information overload. So I'm fairly neutral on the matter. Done properly, it could probably be made prudent and useful. --Remi 18:51, 28 April 2008 (UTC)

Biology Portal[edit]

Thanks for creating the Biology portal. I'll help out as much as I can. It could take some time to get a vast amount of material out there though, I'm writing the Wikibook FHSST Biology while I'm making resources for Wikiversity. I'm also trying to get involved with other projects around the Wiki communities. I appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Wesley Gray 19:59, 28 April 2008 (UTC)

Columns[edit]

Do you know a way to create columns which are automatically even in length? Or must one manually specify and manage column breaks? I searched MW and meta and didn't find much - it's all based around tables from what I can see. -- Jtneill - Talk 10:31, 29 April 2008 (UTC)

Found what I wanted: meta:Help:List. -- Jtneill - Talk 10:35, 29 April 2008 (UTC)
Oh good, this worked - 3 columns for category tree: Psychology#Categories. -- Jtneill - Talk 10:46, 29 April 2008 (UTC)
Bummer - it's 3 columns in FF and 1 in IE - hmmmmm. -- Jtneill - Talk 11:05, 29 April 2008 (UTC)

Main page experiments[edit]

Thanks for taking a look & responding. Do you think I should remove or move those v0.6 pages I created? They were just really for my testing and not new versions. -- Jtneill - Talk 10:07, 30 April 2008 (UTC)

Blindspots[edit]

Are there any aspects of custodianship which you think I've overlooked so far? I've tried to 'tour' myself around and try out most functions I'm aware of. I probably could pay some more attention to working through some of the special pages - and cleaning stuff up. And I haven't been on IRC lately, but do intend to get back there eventually. Appreciate any thoughts. -- Jtneill - Talk 10:07, 30 April 2008 (UTC)

Thanks for the feedback; that's bonza. -- Jtneill - Talk 12:22, 1 May 2008 (UTC)
OK, so it took me all day to work out... ha ha... and i had to read in this context: 2058 state of the nation address by the honourable victor bitter jr.; president of the republic of australia. -- Jtneill - Talk 12:45, 1 May 2008 (UTC)

Filmmaking - Course level (answer to your question)[edit]

Initial goal
I have tried to design the course materials for the three filmmaking courses (Basic filmmaking-preproduction, editing, and scoring) for 16 year old students.
Overall goal
By keeping the three courses simple enough for high school kids who speak English, the courses are now used by:
  • 1. International high school graduates who are unable to enter local trade schools because of cost, availability or the lack of English skills. (30%)
  • 2. First year film students at regular universities who do not have access to these specific areas. (5%)
  • 3. High school students who need to create a demo reel to be accepted to film school. (15%)
  • 4. 12-year-old kids who just want to have a bit of fun. (50%)

The last group usually completes only the first two lessons. Still, it is enough to make them happy. ~~~~ Robert Elliott 01:53, 1 May 2008 (UTC)



Special Note
The first two lessons of the basic filmmaking course are extremely popular with people waiting for airplanes all around the world. Don't ask me why!!! Maybe you should have a category for "Things to do when you are bored." Robert Elliott 02:09, 1 May 2008 (UTC)

Update May 22, 2008
I recently looked at the requirements for the filmmaking courses to be offered by high schools in the State of Utah. They have a complete description of what they want for a FINE ARTS COURSE in filmmaking. It is the opposite of my course. Therefore, clearly my course is NOT fine arts filmmaking. My filmmaking course at Wikiversity is either commercial art or a trade school course based on the criteria of the State of Utah for high school courses. Robert Elliott 01:11, 23 May 2008 (UTC)

Gadgets[edit]

I have been checking out gadgets in user preferences here and on WV. I'm curious which, if any, of these you use/recommend? -- Jtneill - Talk 14:52, 1 May 2008 (UTC)

Other than 'maybe' WikEd on WP (for complicated pages), I haven't yet found a gagdet which lasts behind a short period of novelty. I like the principle of keeping the interface as similar as possible to that for newcomers. -- Jtneill - Talk 00:13, 3 May 2008 (UTC)

Talk link in your signature[edit]

Curious if there's any particular reason you don't have a talk link in your sig? -- Jtneill - Talk 14:52, 1 May 2008 (UTC)

Narrative Filmmaking = Replacements for school plays[edit]

Not an easy fit
Currently, narrative filmmaking is very hard to categorize. It does not fit well with traditional high school courses.
School productions
Instead, narrative filmmaking will eventually be in offered in high school drama departments in the same category as a school play or a school musical and in the music department in the same category as a school concert.
Rather than something which is taught, it will be something which is done. (But before that happens, step by step procedures for schools to follow need to be developed in the same way that schools buy a complete package of step-by-step instructions when they obtain the rights to a play such as Disney's musicals. My lessons do not go that far. That will require another ten years.)
Not IT or fine art
In contrast, "Information Technology" is linked with "Multimedia", not "narrative filmmaking". "Art and design" in high school refers mostly to "fine art" which "documentary filmmaking" fits better. Narrative filmmaking should be associated with "commercial art" but few high schools offer commercial art, just fine art. (If you are not sure of the difference, fine art is made for the appreciation of the creator, commercial art is designed for the appreciation of the viewer. Fine art is spiritual, commercial art is a craft.)
Vocational
Or to put this another way, in Germany, narrative filmmaking would be taught in vocational school along with automobile design and commercial cooking. Narrative filmmaking fits much better into the vocational category. Narrative filmmaking is a craft. Robert Elliott 00:37, 2 May 2008 (UTC)

Templating[edit]

Wikiversity:Mission[edit]

Could you help explain how to template, say, Wikiversity:Mission in such a way that it can be incorporated, if desired, into a box on the new portal pages. This is a more of an experimental learning question on my part, but could be useful in some places e.g., Portal:Wikiversity. -- Jtneill - Talk 00:17, 3 May 2008 (UTC)

Edit Page[edit]

For this template, Template:Edit page, how could it be changed so that one could add the parameter 0 to switch off the text "(and any subpages)", and 1 to switch it on. I haven't done this stuff before, but am interested. -- Jtneill - Talk 01:55, 3 May 2008 (UTC)

Portal:Pre-school Education[edit]

I'm pondering Portal:Pre-school Education... and thinking that a two-column format might be more user-friendly for this page. What do you think and if that sounds appropriate, how? -- Jtneill - Talk 03:48, 3 May 2008 (UTC)

Thanks for the kids-only fork; that works well. I'm enjoying exploring it. I like the create a box input box. Small mystery - if one clicks create a page with no text in the box, it seems to go into editing the main page... Wouldn't want to see a toddler scoring you a trout... :) -- Jtneill - Talk 13:54, 3 May 2008 (UTC)
Well, I guess you're pretty safe, with the main page protected :) -- Jtneill - Talk 13:55, 3 May 2008 (UTC)

Where is the list of completed courses?[edit]

  • Just a quick question. Where is the list of completed courses (or courses which are working well enough to be listed as completed courses by their instructor)? Robert Elliott 04:37, 4 May 2008 (UTC)

Sweden road sign A10.svg Completion status: Ready for testing by learners and teachers. Please begin!
Question: How should courses which are ready for testing be listed?
Suggestion:
"This course is ready for a test drive." - - 99% complete? (with a picture of a bumpy ride?) Robert Elliott 22:00, 4 May 2008 (UTC)

  • Another suggestion -- I think that a CATEGORY for each of the templates should be included inside the template. (Sorry if that is not clear.)
Example: the template {{Template:100%done-2}} should include the category of [[Category:Completed course]] (or something like that) so that a List of Completed Courses is automatically generated. (Again, I am not sure if this makes sense. If not, let me know and I will try again.) Robert Elliott 22:22, 4 May 2008 (UTC)
Emblem-extra-cool.svg Completion status: this resource has reached a high level of completion.

  • Correction -- I think that the link should not be to the help page but rather to the list of completed lessons category.Robert Elliott 03:29, 5 May 2008 (UTC)

  • Huh? -- I do not think that automatic categorizing is working correctly. You say "Your suggestion about auto-categorising is already there in the system." but this is not producing the results that I expected. How does this work? Things seem to be appearing on the wrong pages or not at all. Robert Elliott 05:48, 6 May 2008 (UTC)

  • High expectations -- Maybe I had different expectations for how this feature works. Question: How to I refer to list of completed courses in my pages. [[Category:Completed resources|Click here to see the list of completed courses]] does not seem to work.
I will try experimenting with different ideas for a while. If it does not work, we can always roll back. Robert Elliott 06:43, 6 May 2008 (UTC)

  • Ahhh! -- Yes, I did not understand about namespace. Thanks.
Yes, I would like to be able to point people to the page of completed lessons but the simple approach does not work. Obviously, there must be an easy way to include that in my text but I cannot think of it at the moment. The goal is for people to click on the word complete in the {{complete}} template and take people to the page of completed lessons. Robert Elliott 14:08, 6 May 2008 (UTC)
Sweden road sign A10.svg This lesson is ready for testing by students and teachers. Please begin!!

  • My Thoughts - Here is an example of what I am thinking about.
1. If we make this template more useful for students, teachers will accept it quicker.
2. For the most part, only students will see this.
3. The help page can be announced in other locations which will be more effective. (Example to follow soon.)
  • Note that I use the word "students". Half of my students do NOT speak English. They know the word "student" but they don't understand the word "learner". The foreign students are my best students so I do what they need most. Robert Elliott 00:02, 7 May 2008 (UTC)

  • My Plans - This is what I will be doing.
1. I like the work that you have done. I think that this will be extremely useful.
2. I will continue to experiement and to promote your marking system to identify completed resources.
3. However, my goal is very specific. I want to create a list of Traditional courses which are complete or ready for testing. This list is for a very select audience (the average person who comes to Wikiversity to learn.) Therefore, I will be creating a parallel list which will be based on your list. It should compliment what you are doing. (This will be clearer when I get more done.) Robert Elliott 14:46, 9 May 2008 (UTC)
Complete breakdown.jpg


  • Category trees -- Now I see why programmers like categories so much. There is a lot you can do with it. The challenge is to make it meaningful and easy to read for students. Robert Elliott 03:58, 10 May 2008 (UTC)

Extension:Gnuplot[edit]

Hi McCormack, just wondering if you had any initial thoughts about mw:Extension:Gnuplot. It could have some potential for WV? -- Jtneill - Talk 17:23, 4 May 2008 (UTC)

Well, I thought it could potentially save time drawing plots externally, then exporting, uploading, etc. for teaching statistics. Maybe there's an external online graphing solution which could be embedded. Not a major priority, but I'm looking for other ways of presenting data/graphs - and if it could be done dynamically, so that others can change the data, even better for learning. -- Jtneill - Talk 04:35, 5 May 2008 (UTC)

Random mascot welcome[edit]

Crystal Clear app gnome.png
Mascot welcome
Jack-Russell-Terrier.jpg

Woof! My name is Jack (Russell). I am a dog and a Wikiversity mascot. I am pretty new around Wikiversity. Perhaps we can learn together! Tail wag...

Project boxes[edit]

They are way cool :). Thankyou. Just trying to work out stacking and preventing overlapping e.g., -- Jtneill - Talk 01:03, 9 May 2008 (UTC)

Sciences humaines.svg Educational level: this is a tertiary (university) resource.
btw, this looks different in FF and IE. -- Jtneill - Talk 01:24, 9 May 2008 (UTC)
Any ideas for layout here Level of measurement (robelbox + project box)? It looks fine in IE, but overlapping in FF? -- Jtneill - Talk 03:08, 10 May 2008 (UTC)
Excellent initiative, James! It's great to see the metadata efforts being revived in such a practical and potentially "addictive" way. :-) Cormaggio talk 12:15, 11 May 2008 (UTC)
I think maybe {{stub}} and {{welcome and expand}} both contain "lost at wv?" e.g., see Colour. -- Jtneill - Talk 01:43, 26 May 2008 (UTC)
Actually, i meant {{uncat}} and {{welcome and expand}}. Is there some way of using "IF" with parser functions to detect if another template is being used on a page? Just curious. -- Jtneill - Talk 01:45, 26 May 2008 (UTC)

edit summaries and IRC chat[edit]

"Please do not write my name at all in your edit summaries" <-- I'm sorry you got upset because of my reference to your user name. Maybe I can figure out how to refer to your edits using the version numbers for article revisions. I'm also sorry you got upset because of my comment about a vacation....I should have put a :) after "I think you need a vacation". --JWSchmidt 18:13, 9 May 2008 (UTC)

Main Page/News[edit]

I added an announcement to Wikiversity:Announcements, but didn't see it on the main page. Checking Main Page/News it seems this is done separately? Any way to transclude from annoucements? -- Jtneill - Talk 04:45, 10 May 2008 (UTC)

Thanks; I can see value in keeping annoucements and main page news separate. -- Jtneill - Talk 21:16, 11 May 2008 (UTC)

barnstar[edit]

BarnstarGreen.png

I thought that between the mainpage, all the work on templates you've been doing, the browse page, and a multitude of other things that you have done, you deserve a barnstar. I found this nice green one, so... keep up the good work. : ) --Remi 02:18, 12 May 2008 (UTC)

Cat tree[edit]

I can see both sides. What if "Category:Paths by user type" was open by default? It may give more empahsis to headings, but then also get the message accross that, "these things expand!". --Remi 08:08, 12 May 2008 (UTC)

Portal reform[edit]

FYI:

Software issue[edit]

You certainly did not make it clear that was how you were using those tags prior to this! I did not laugh at your pun, and I did not find it funny. I certainly don't feel welcome to say any more about that proposed categorization scheme. --HappyCamper 16:58, 17 May 2008 (UTC)

:)[edit]

thanks. : p --Remi 08:56, 18 May 2008 (UTC)

Sisterproject boxes layout[edit]

Hi; i noticed that perhaps the tweaks to get project boxes to line up may have made the layout of e.g., Template:wikipedia a little wonky for stand alone use; e.g., T-test#See also - the box now seems to push the text down? -- Jtneill - Talk 12:00, 19 May 2008 (UTC)

OK, try this - User:Jtneill/Sandbox#Template troubleshooting hope you see a difference too. -- Jtneill - Talk 14:33, 19 May 2008 (UTC)

Traudction[edit]

Bonjour camarade ,¿est-que tu as pu parler avec quelq'un pour faire le travaille de traduction? .Por quelque chose ,tu peux me parler . D'artagnan

Transcluded subpages in the topic namespace[edit]

More on that. I just realized (not that I did not know this already) that about all the subpages in the topic namespace are already included in non-subpage pages in the topic namespace, because they are transcluded. This then essentially creates a lot of duplicate content. Then having have "Random topic" button in the sidebar only serves to show this off. Then also subpages have little context. For example some subpages only have a sentence and a couple of usernames (for the "active participant" sections). --Remi 05:11, 22 May 2008 (UTC)

I think what you are saying is maybe what Wikibooks does. The disadvantage to that, if that is what Wikibooks does, is that one cannot open a bunch of random pages in tabs then. Yet... this may not matter, or perhaps it can be done in a different manner as to not have this limitation. --Remi 06:10, 22 May 2008 (UTC)
It sounds like you are in the know about it then. More than I. You make it sound rather elegant too. :) --Remi 06:22, 22 May 2008 (UTC)

arabic topic[edit]

If you think that Bahaa may attempt to reference that page other than from his username (User_talk:Bahaa#Hello), you don't think keeping it would create an undue load for the servers, and you don't think it would cause any other problems, then I see no need to delete it. I doubt Bahaa would miss it though, but I could be wrong. --Remi 07:13, 22 May 2008 (UTC)

Becoming a custodian[edit]

Hi there I wondered if it would be possible to put me on as an apprentice custodian? Businesslawyer 13:45, 22 May 2008 (UTC)

Ok then thanks for telling me. Businesslawyer 15:40, 22 May 2008 (UTC)

"Template:Robelbox/C1" broken?[edit]

I am working with the "Template:Robelbox/C1". I have no problem with using it normally. But when I put in inside another template, the new template looks great by itself yet when used someplace, it does not work correctly. I can create an example for you if you wish but since you have just been working on the "Template:Robelbox/C1" template, I assume you already know what the problem might be. Robert Elliott 01:02, 23 May 2008 (UTC)

  • Try working with {{Template:Film Scoring-Sound of Fear-Completed Assignments-2}} Click here to see the original. Robert Elliott 01:29, 23 May 2008 (UTC)
See bottom of Tonto Silver, not the top. Near the top, I have the box included. At the bottom, I use the template. At the bottom, my browser does not show the whole template, only the title of the first box and a surrounding line around the bottom with nothing in the middle. (P.S. I like the simpler box you showed me. Thanks.) Robert Elliott 10:45, 23 May 2008 (UTC)

Thanks[edit]

Thanks for the supportive (& expert) 'thrust' into custodianship; I would otherwise probably have bided my time forever and possibly descended into asking increasingly annoying questions, rather than trying to help and solve problems :). So, I'm on board now, but still much to learn of course. I sent the email I've been waiting to send for some time to the vice-chancellor yesterday letting him know that I am officially moving all my teaching materials off-site. It seems to have rattled a few cages, so I am meeting next week with the powers that be next week to explain further. I am still really only half-engaged here until I've got my PhD submitted (very close), so I may go a little quiet, but then we might have some more substantial conversation - or at least I'll find you a serious picture :). -- Jtneill - Talk 02:45, 23 May 2008 (UTC)

Robelbox[edit]

I tried to earn a trout earlier by editing {{Robelbox}}. Check the edit history. Weirdly it looks OK, but it was playing up and showing "Template loop errors" for the examples, and the examples were showing in pages using Robelbox transculation - including main page ;). I reverted it, but then within seconds or minutes all the edit history pages looked OK again. What do you think happened? And do you want to have a go at including the suggested edits, with the list of colours and another example using a theme? -- Jtneill - Talk 02:06, 26 May 2008 (UTC)

I worked this out now, I think; I had left a dodgy line in there. -- Jtneill - Talk 02:59, 26 May 2008 (UTC)

custodianship[edit]

Hi! I have created a new subpage User:Gbaor/Custodianship, where you can leave me some notes what I should do/read in order to become full time custodian. --Gbaor 04:49, 26 May 2008 (UTC)

Big trouble[edit]

I have done something bad with Topic:Statistics:OpenStat, but I have no more time to fix it. :( Can you please check it?--Gbaor 13:28, 26 May 2008 (UTC)

subpage list[edit]

Would you point me to an example of where subpage list is in action? I cannot find one on the wikis listed at the extension page at mediawiki.org. Thanks. --Remi 09:11, 27 May 2008 (UTC)

Tardis[edit]

What do you think? Should/could it go to Wikiversity:Tardis; or should it stay as a user subpage but not be list as 'completed'? Of course its not "completed", but the "concept" is done sufficiently that it "works" and is "usable". Maybe there is a better completion status category? -- Jtneill - Talk 11:40, 31 May 2008 (UTC)

YesY Done (used Template:Incomplete instead) -- Jtneill - Talk 12:29, 31 May 2008 (UTC)

revert?[edit]

Hi James - why this revert? I thought it was perfectly fair comment. I'm going to revert it back if you don't mind... Cormaggio talk 14:54, 31 May 2008 (UTC)

:-) Well, I wouldn't treat something as borderline vandalism just because it didn't meet a certain standard of discourse, and was added by an anon. Jokey, matey, and slightly opaque though it is, I still think it provokes comment in a good way. Hopefully my own comment will provoke further, more thoughtful comments... Cormaggio talk 16:02, 31 May 2008 (UTC)

Those templates...[edit]

They look like they could probably use a facelift. Not that have not served their purpose...

Help:Resources by quality looks interesting. Maybe those templates could go on talk pages, like similar templates on Wikipedia do. But... --Remi 06:35, 1 June 2008 (UTC)

Colors...[edit]

I probably won't play with more it at this moment... but thank you. :) --Remi 10:42, 1 June 2008 (UTC)

So I am... Teaching_with_Applied_Academics/How is not displaying Template:Lost. Why might this be? Do the servers need to update? --Remi 10:49, 1 June 2008 (UTC)
Oh. Hmm. I see it updated now too. Maybe local cache or something. Thanks. --Emesee 10:53, 1 June 2008 (UTC)

You broke it![edit]

Template:75%done-2 is not displaying correctly on the Help:Resources_by_completion_status page. Robert Elliott

IRC meeting[edit]

Hi James - just notifying you of a suggested time/date for an IRC meeting about 'Wikiversity learning'. Could you indicate if you would be available, or would prefer a different time/date? Cormaggio talk 14:44, 1 June 2008 (UTC)

Thanks for the quick feedback - perhaps we should again consider two meetings (though even this is difficult to accommodate everyone's availability). Cormaggio talk 14:56, 1 June 2008 (UTC)

Clarification I guess :)[edit]

Shows some of the activity with other pages already deleted. I think I was hasty in trying to find sd template - a better description would have been "Xrumer bot IP" I think. Thanks & regards --Herby talk thyme 12:52, 2 June 2008 (UTC)

category maintenance[edit]

Hi! Today I tried to pull together all category maintenance stuff on WV into Category:Category maintenance. 3 specialpages in this category are still redlinks, and I cannot figure out why. Any ideas?--Gbaor 11:16, 4 June 2008 (UTC)

Re: Action research[edit]

Hi James, hmm, interesting question! I think it could well be the first step of an action research cycle. That would be the question around action research - "what kind(s) of action can be taken, in order to address what need, and what does the process and effect of the action tell us about the context, and what further action does this suggest?" So, if a 'plan of action' is seen in this context, then it constitutes a type of action research - there's really not a "high" or "low"-brow delineation here (although, action research is itself seen as a bit low-brow by some realms of the academic world - and almost as academia's saviour by others). So, does this correspond with the way in which you've developed that resource? Cormaggio talk 20:50, 9 June 2008 (UTC)

Remind me again please...[edit]

Why are we keeping subpages in the topic namespace? If we use a bunch of pages in the Template name space and include them, will they not still be examined when the topic namespace is searched? --Emesee 03:36, 15 June 2008 (UTC)

advice needed[edit]

Hi! I am looking for an advice here (initial question). Thank you!--Gbaor 10:54, 15 June 2008 (UTC)

Wikiversity:Random[edit]

Leaving the message where you did is probably fine. I think you are quite skilled with making MediaWiki do all sorts of interesting things; the page is rather interesting. --Emesee 08:46, 16 June 2008 (UTC)

Quiz layout[edit]

Whadyareckon: quiz example. It seems to me that there is maybe too much blank space between the last response item and the "submit" button. How could this be reduced? -- Jtneill - Talk 14:32, 18 June 2008 (UTC) (PS Are you waiting for a 100 talk threads before archiving?? :))

While I'm here with this.... is there anyway to adjust the quiz question numbering? - I'm going to end up with all questions numbered 1 if I use the technique at the link above. -- Jtneill - Talk 14:37, 18 June 2008 (UTC)
Thanks for the reply; makes sense and I'm not in any particular hurry, just exploring. Where do you think is the best place to develop a feature wishlist for the quiz extension? -- Jtneill - Talk 23:31, 18 June 2008 (UTC)

Just thought...[edit]

It's been some time since I visited your talk page. Just thought I should say hi!... I am working on finishing the last 4 pages of Electric Circuit Analysis course. It is interesting to see a few people already spell chiking the course. Thanks for all the help thus far ;-) Thuvack 15:27, 18 June 2008 (UTC)

Re:[edit]

In regard to your comment on my talkpage - I wouldn't mind going through the vote, I haven't used the Custodian tools in any negative way and used it when needed to like an author requesting a page to be erased, or a page to be imported. I Know SB will strongly oppose due to reading the comments, but this is to be expected in a Custodianship voting and someone is bound to be supportive, neutral or oppose - but I will cease creating the categories and see if I could do other things on the site - but wouldn't mind going through the vote - if need be the voting could be long as 10 days through your suggestion on the Custodian noticeboard. Terra 17:54, 20 June 2008 (UTC)

User talk:195.194.136.252[edit]

Hi. Are you forgetting to log in? McCormack

Oops, yes as I jump between (class) machines at this frantic time of year. Paulmartin42 16:04, 24 June 2008 (UTC)

DM[edit]

Please read this

Problem uploading images - McCormack[edit]

Hi McCormack,

Terribly sorry to post this here but I'm not having any luck in the wikiworld on my own!

I ran into the same error you did as noted on this page... http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Support_desk/Sections/Images#Image_upload_problem

I have posted a reply to your previous comment on that page but would imagine that you don't check back there regularly (why would you?!)

Can you tell me how you resolved that issue - that is - where in SpecialUpload.php I need to insert those lines (see copy below)? Also, do I need to change anything or can I simply copy and paste that text exactly as is?

$src = $_FILES['wpUploadFile']['tmp_name'];
$dst = $somewheresafe . $_FILES['wpUploadFile']['name'];
$res = move_uploaded_file($src, $dst);
$this->mTempPath = $dst;

Again, sorry to post this on your talk page. Your time and any help you can offer are very much appreciated!!!


Cheers

Stanbridge

Wikiversity:Policies[edit]

Can I ask what you are referring to? Please be direct with me as I am still a relatively new user

Circuit Analysis[edit]

ping --:-)Thuvack 15:38, 2 July 2008 (UTC)

This course is complete and ready for use, please see home page ;-)Thuvack 13:03, 3 July 2008 (UTC)

chat[edit]

Can we talk when you go online again ? See you, ----Erkan Yilmaz uses the Wikiversity:Chat (try) 16:17, 8 July 2008 (UTC)

Template:Wikipedia[edit]

I'm trying to work out using the parameters for this template, e.g., I want something like

Wikipedia-logo.png Go to

or just

Wikipedia-logo.png Go to

. Clues? -- Jtneill - Talk - c 15:41, 9 July 2008 (UTC)

Statistics[edit]

Mainly tertiary. -- Jtneill - Talk - c 05:08, 21 July 2008 (UTC)

100th unarchived message award[edit]

Usdollar100front.jpg

McCormack, I've been waiting to award you with something special, and since I'm not seeing too many trouts or paperbags in the pipeline, I thought I would take this long awaited opportunity to congratulate you on the grand occasion of your 100th unarchived talk message. I have not seen this achieved before - will you go for 200? -- Jtneill - Talk - c 05:08, 21 July 2008 (UTC)

Anyone can do 200, let's do 2000 :-) ----Erkan Yilmaz uses the Wikiversity:Chat (try) 15:45, 21 July 2008 (UTC)
Impressive indeed (Lol!)Thuvack 17:21, 21 July 2008 (UTC)

Plotting extension[edit]

When you get a chance, can you check this page - User:Jtneill/Graphing. I pasted some code from Wikipedia which doesn't work here, so I'm guessing it needs an extension. Do you know which one? If its already on WP, I'm guessing it could be a relatively simple exercise to get it implemented on WV?? -- Jtneill - Talk - c 14:04, 24 July 2008 (UTC)

The timeline extension is installed (same version), see Special:Version: EasyTimeline (Version r37843)
At de.WV once also that problem appeared and the next day it worked out just like that, see de:Wikiversity:Cafeteria/Archiv/2008/01#Timeline
Perhaps it needs some initialization by the developers or some cache problem ? ----Erkan Yilmaz uses the Wikiversity:Chat (try) 15:53, 24 July 2008 (UTC)
I'm feeling slow today. --McCormack 16:51, 24 July 2008 (UTC)
Well, slow worked :) I went to bed and on looking at this in the morning, it works! So, same kind of situation as Erkan reports. Is this a one-off, I wonder, and from now should be OK? We'll see - I'll try it out some more. I didn't realise until seeing this code that the timeline extension could be used for graphing! Will stare at the code and see more about what's possible. -- Jtneill - Talk - c 21:46, 24 July 2008 (UTC)

categories[edit]

One user made some observations here and I think then began to analyze the technics of the display of the category (see here). I remember you made a small howto for newcomers. Do you remember where that was ? ----Erkan Yilmaz uses the Wikiversity:Chat (try) 14:22, 3 August 2008 (UTC)

found it, ----Erkan Yilmaz uses the Wikiversity:Chat (try) 14:58, 3 August 2008 (UTC)

Featured page templates[edit]

Just wondering if you could explain the templates that should be applied to featured and proposed featured pages. I had a quick look at a small sample of featured pages (Web design, Technical writing, and Economic Classroom Experiments) and got the impression that that there wasn't a consistent template applied to indicate them as featured and to do appropriate category. I could have spent longer poking around, but figured I'd touch base instead. -- Jtneill - Talk - c 14:25, 3 August 2008 (UTC)

Educational Media Awareness Campaign[edit]

Hi McCormack,

I just wandered by WV and noticed this. I think it's really brilliant. What is its status? Can the Wikimedia Commons community help or be more involved somehow? We have some pages that would be useful for this like Schemes. It would be cool if it could be 'mirrored' on Commons too. If it's active and ongoing I would like to ask someone to create a feed for it too. --Pfctdayelise 04:05, 4 August 2008 (UTC)

Good to see this being recognised! - it is a fabulous resource. -- Jtneill - Talk - c 12:18, 5 August 2008 (UTC)

Unlicensed image uploads[edit]

Thanks for being onto that and the suggested strategy - she's been very responsive and it prompted me to start some "image uploading/licensing education" in tutorials this afternoon - more next week. For Image:Self.gif I added {{PD}}. Do you think that is all that is needed? I also went looking for something like w:Template:Copy to Wikimedia Commons on here, but couldn't find anything. So I copied that template here to Template:Copy to Wikimedia Commons, but it's going to need some tweaking by the looks to get it working. If you have a chance could you take a quick look? I can work it out, but you can probably work it out faster. I'll delete any unlicensed images (if they haven't been already) once I catch my tail. -- Jtneill - Talk - c 12:18, 5 August 2008 (UTC)

Social psychology (psychology) homepage[edit]

Thanks for the comments about use of collapsible boxes on the home page layout for Social psychology (psychology). I'm mulling it over. User:Leighblackall also had some suggestions I'm considering. But basically the reason is that I'm find vertical scrolling with students leads to more of them falling off the back of the truck... -- Jtneill - Talk - c 12:18, 5 August 2008 (UTC)

BTW, I'm still mulling this over - I haven't yet had feedback from students, so I'll try to get some. -- Jtneill - Talk - c 00:53, 10 August 2008 (UTC)

Electric circuit Analysis User[edit]

Hi there. A student e-mailed me their results and other quiries concerning Circuit Analysis. I have posted their results on the course pages. The user calls himself Ozzimotosan. this does not appear to ba a registered user. But he insists it is a registered user. Could you check this out for me? Thanks --Thuvack | talk | Blog 12:19, 5 August 2008 (UTC)

I have requested the user to edit my talk page. here please have a look. --Thuvack | talk | Blog 13:27, 5 August 2008 (UTC)
Looks very much like a new user to me --Thuvack | talk | Blog 13:29, 5 August 2008 (UTC)

Just saying 'hi'[edit]

Hey, McCormack - OpenSourceJunkie here. I'm just saying 'hi' - I know I was AWOl for a while, but I had a VERY busy summer :) hopefully I'll be back to contributing on a semi-regular basis, although things are still a mite hectic.

--Opensourcejunkie 22:37, 8 August 2008 (UTC)

Category:Lectures[edit]

With this category, I'm thinking it would be better if we could list subcategories by course. Maybe we could do this by adding a parameter to {{Lecture}} to allow switching off of category listing in Category:Lectures and instead just list the main lecture page in that category. Then specific lectures could have their own course lecture category. Hopefully you know what I mean - I'm happy to experiment with a way for Social psychology, but figured you might have some ideas/suggestions. -- Jtneill - Talk - c 00:52, 10 August 2008 (UTC)

Thanks for working on this so fast; just noting currently there are some extra characters appearing "COK" when transcluded e.g, Personality/Lectures/Dispositional perspectives. I realise you're in the middle of it - but I went looking for vandalism at first! :) -- Jtneill - Talk - c 04:47, 10 August 2008 (UTC)
Well I was thinking of finding a tin of spam for you for placing rude words on my lectures! :). But I'm still not sure if its doing (or helping to do) some better organising of Category:Lecture. e.g., it lists all social psychology lectures, whereas I was hoping to just list social psychology, with the lectures in a sub-category. Is there some parameter I can add to use of {{lecture}} to indicate "don't use category"? Or is it perhaps just that its already doing this and the cache needs to update the category listing? -- Jtneill - Talk - c 05:17, 10 August 2008 (UTC)
OK, I'll wait to see the job queue catch up - ta. rootname/Lectures make sense to me - but that's probably because that's the structure I've used - it may less intuitive to others. Maybe let's see how it goes as you've created it. Note I have the same type of structure also for Category:Tutorials and I guess ultimately all resource types. Would rootname/Resource type make sense more broadly? -- Jtneill - Talk - c 05:26, 10 August 2008 (UTC)
What do you think about capitalisation e.g., /lectures vs. /Lectures. I've tended to use capitals and didn't really think it mattered very much, but although I created Category:Personality/Lectures, you can see at Personality/Lectures/Dispositional perspectives that its still asking for Category:Personality/lectures to be created? -- Jtneill - Talk - c 05:39, 10 August 2008 (UTC)

Please have a look and comment[edit]

Hi there. I have started my long awaited contribution towards Generation of Electrical Power topic. Please helpout or comment on the following problems:

  • Robelbox acting up:
    • Robelbox is acting-up for part 5 & 6 of the following page
  • Citation/Refference:
    • Please check citation method used in part 8 of this page and advise if this is tight enough, I would not like this resource to be marked for copy right violation :-(.

Your help is much valued thanks.--Thuvack | talk | Blog 14:32, 11 August 2008 (UTC)

McCormack, I've just had a look at the page problem which Thuvack's been having he's right - there is a problem with the page, it may depend on what type of browser you are using - I'm using Safari and the bottom page seems to be incorrect, even in preview try downloading via [1] which leads you to the safari page on apple - it may then show up on the browser, I don't know what code to use to prevent the template from acting-up. Dark Mage 18:58, 11 August 2008 (UTC)

Sub-pages in Lesson pages[edit]

Hi there. As you know I am busy with some major course development work currently. I found that for circuit analysis people generally refrained from editing because of the daunting mark-up used. I have decided to use sub-pages with easy edit links. each lesson page would therefore end up with atleast 10 sub pages (a sub page per part). Is this a desirable way of developing courses, is there a downfall to using sub pages? --Thuvack | talk | Blog 14:46, 12 August 2008 (UTC)

Page fomatting[edit]

Can we discuss this please, thanks --Thuvack | talk | Blog 06:47, 13 August 2008 (UTC)

Wikversity proposal[edit]

I'd like to contact you via email re Wikiversity_talk:Introduction_Overhaul_Taskforce/copy. I have developed my own version of Wikiversity on my own website and am looking for some one to review it unofficially. If all goes well, it should not take more than 20 minutes to assess its potential. Since I am still learning how to secure the site, I'd prefer not to disclose its address here.

Its main features are:

  • Uniform navigation within and between namespaces.
  • Templates for consistent look and feel.
  • Includes course schema for classifying and presenting course material.

This is a radical departure from Wikipedia and yet should be intuative to both gurus and newbies alike. If you're interested (ot any other curator) I can post my email here (or you can look it up?). PeterMG 11:31, 14 August 2008 (UTC)

  • You can post your email here via template {{email}} it should be safe, and reachable for other users as well. You should give your email address in your preferences, however. --Gbaor 11:45, 14 August 2008 (UTC)

Podcasting lectures[edit]

This is on my 'challenges'/to do list. Currently, I can record lecture audio and video using the university service - but the sad story is that they only provide this in .wma and .wmv - the system is homegrown and almost 20 years old! I've noticed some other lecturers taking in their own recording equipment, which is looking like a more viable option than long-awaited institutional change. Meantime, several people are eyeing off the iTunesU eye-candy and I'm having a bit of trouble trying to convince them that this is not such a good idea. But the weakness in my argument is that I can't yet demonstrate .ogg podcasting as a viable alternative. So, among other things, I'm looking for a digital audio-recorder (and software) which will help me create .ogg podcasts, etc. The uni is switching from WebCT to Moodle next year and I'm about to start playing on the new moodle site. Not sure yet if it offers a podcasting module. Interested in ANY suggestions. I've played some with Audacity, but otherwise not very experienced with digital audio. -- Jtneill - Talk - c 11:37, 20 August 2008 (UTC)

Total bytes in a page and its subpages[edit]

Just curious if you know of any way to total the bytes in a page and its subpages? The specific context would be to add another column to Social psychology (psychology)/Participants#Profile list. Some participants are adding content into user subpages. -- Jtneill - Talk - c 11:44, 20 August 2008 (UTC)

Just for a quick way to sort/scan/organise students according to "volume" of contributions in their user area. Of course size doesn't equal quality, but its helps me (besides recent changes) to keep an eye on those who are active - using a sortable table. Yes, word count might help, but I realise now to mostly work within available tools and pick one's proposals for changes carefully. Maybe I need to look up basic mathematical functions - there must be a way to add say user page size and user talk page size? -- Jtneill - Talk - c 13:04, 20 August 2008 (UTC)

Re:E-Mail[edit]

I've responded. Dark Mage 10:40, 28 August 2008 (UTC)

Wikiversity:Student union[edit]

I was shocked that this page which should be used to welcome new participants was filled to the brim with confusing meta-discussion about deletionists and meta issues. It seems almost conduct unbecoming to do something that counter productive. Is there something that can be done to prevent people from getting angry and using various pages at this project for revenge? Salmon of Doubt 13:43, 5 September 2008 (UTC)

Re: Wikiversity:Requests for Deletion#Terry Ananny[edit]

"Doubtless anti-deletionist elements will oppose this nomination and treat it as a cause celebre"
I am just smiling - thanks that is the first smile of the day for me. I wish you will also get one today, ----Erkan Yilmaz uses the Wikiversity:Chat (try) 10:47, 6 September 2008 (UTC)

Let's talk...[edit]

Hello McCormack, are you willing to meet in chat so we can talk alltogether ? ----Erkan Yilmaz uses the Wikiversity:Chat (try) 17:45, 6 September 2008 (UTC)

Resource Project Boxes[edit]

Just wanted to make sure you saw this. The Jade Knight 10:58, 10 September 2008 (UTC)

Many thanks. The Jade Knight 04:56, 11 September 2008 (UTC)
I prefer fewer words: how about this: {{history|{{{1}}}|{{{2}}}}}, where {{{1}}} is what category it goes into (defaults to some History sorting cat), and {{{2}}} is the resource name it displays (defaults to "History")? The Jade Knight 06:42, 11 September 2008 (UTC)
I see. Tell me when you've finished with tinkering this time around. The Jade Knight 06:58, 11 September 2008 (UTC)
Did you update these? How do they work now? The Jade Knight 09:49, 13 September 2008 (UTC)

colloquium post and disruptive users[edit]

McCormack: Thanks for you post to my user page re: this. I was in fact looking at a different set of edits than the ones you have now pointed out - so thank you for that. I had intended to reply more fully to the issue and your concerns but have recently had a couple of days away from WV at a conference, and since reading Cormaggios post, I'd now prefer to try to get some time to consider my response/opinion in regards to all this. Its all seeming a bit unfortunate now and I'm weighting up whether keeping out of it might be the best option. Countrymike 20:39, 10 September 2008 (UTC)

Subject boxes[edit]

I just noticed that use of the Template:Psychology now says "(subcategorised into Category:Psychology resources)." (e.g., Aggression) in the box. Since the last edit was June and the text isn't in the template, I'm guess it must be some other more generic template change (perhaps you're playing?). But ideally, how can it be deleted - I hope it won't stay because I like my project boxes with little text :) and this I think will be confusing and unnecessary for most readers, etc. -- Jtneill - Talk - c 06:16, 11 September 2008 (UTC)

Yes, all good, ta. You know I'm just trying to keep the trouts from your door :0. -- Jtneill - Talk - c 06:30, 11 September 2008 (UTC)

Category Spy[edit]

Really neat tool, there. Thanks. The Jade Knight 07:51, 11 September 2008 (UTC)

There's evidently an infinite category loop between Categories>Wikiversity>Wikimedia>Content>Categories. The Jade Knight 07:59, 11 September 2008 (UTC)

Image deletion[edit]

Hi James. I don't see how Image:Deletionism.png is a candidate for speedy deletion. However, I can see it bothers you. Would you be prepared to participate in Learning from conflict and incivility, and share your feelings? Hope you're keeping well, Cormaggio talk 14:13, 11 September 2008 (UTC)

There was uploaded a new version of this media file: [2]: see edit summary please. ----Erkan Yilmaz uses the Wikiversity:Chat (try) 17:36, 11 September 2008 (UTC)

Portal's[edit]

McCormack, you seem to be experienced in understanding templates - if so would it be possible if you could assist me on Wikiversity:Student Union with the new layout template, most of the links are still claiming to be redirected from the Portal page which was moved to the new one however I've had a look at the coding and it seems fine - could you have a look at the coding itself and see if it's possible to stop the redirect message from appearing which keeps saying this (Redirected from Portal:Student Union/Page2) - all of it should now be in the new student union page and the coding should all be in the correct subpage. Dark Mage 19:12, 11 September 2008 (UTC)

MATLAB[edit]

Do you know who the professor is for the MATLAB course? I want to explain to him/her about students using subpages for their notes. I could hunt it out, but I think you might already have been in touch? -- Jtneill - Talk - c 01:29, 12 September 2008 (UTC)

Ah, yes, exactly (about MATLAB) - but our friends with Eas4200c user names are all studying MATLAB and posting their notes - most are going into user pages and user subpages, but a good chunk are also landing in the main space. I've been shifting some to user subpages, but there's more than I can keep up with, so perhaps we need address the issue at a slightly higher level. Anyway, now you know what I mean :). -- Jtneill - Talk - c 04:49, 12 September 2008 (UTC)

Three Profiles[edit]

Please take a look at this and provide a response (on its or my talk page only). My goal is accuracy; I understand that some examples and explanations may still be lacking; it is only the beginning of an outline. But as it involves you, I would like your opinion. Note: a single example "counts" as far as willingness to do something, for this project. The Jade Knight 09:02, 12 September 2008 (UTC)

File:Speedy González.JPG
The Speedy Gonzalez Award

Move log[edit]

What happened there with Topic:Body langauge - we moved it at the same time?? Special:Log/move. I can't quite work out what to do/undo. -- Jtneill - Talk - c 12:20, 13 September 2008 (UTC)

I see you've sorted it! -- Jtneill - Talk - c 12:22, 13 September 2008 (UTC)
No trouts today, sorry. You'll have to do better than that. On your prompting I did consider a tadpole (I don't want you to feel too disappointed); but instead please accept a speedy gonzalez award. -- Jtneill - Talk - c 13:11, 13 September 2008 (UTC)

G'day Mc[edit]

It's been great to chat on IRC! - here's the link to my 'case study', and I'd appreciate your thoughts on whether or not the material meets your recent proposals :-) Privatemusings 20:52, 14 September 2008 (UTC)


CSD[edit]

Your page Main page learning project/www draft main page is a candidate for speedy deletion and is blank. Do you have any objections to the removal of this page? Ottava Rima (talk) 02:30, 15 September 2008 (UTC)

  • I deleted it. Thanks for pointing this out. --McCormack 04:11, 15 September 2008 (UTC)
    • Sure thing. I wanted to try and clean out the CSD category. :) Ottava Rima (talk) 13:22, 15 September 2008 (UTC)

Category:Resources by type and Category:Class notes[edit]

Just seeking yr thoughts about Resources by type. What do you think of the "class notes" (e.g., my social psych students - but at least they're in user subpages, the MATLAB course, etc.) that are appearing? For a quick thing, I added Category:Class notes to such a page, then added that cat to Category:Resources by type. Then I noticed that this is a hidden category, which I haven't yet encountered (but realise I should learn about). And is there a better way? Really, I probably should create a resources by type template for a project box with auto-categorisation. Or maybe then I thought about tweaking an existing one e.g., Template:Course to have a parameter which could be renamed to "class notes". Anyway, that's the process my mind went through before arriving here for further advice just in case there is trout waiting to leap out the water :). -- Jtneill - Talk - c 15:05, 16 September 2008 (UTC)


Mentor[edit]

If you would like to become my mentor, I would appreciate it. I would also appreciate seeing you around the IRC channel more often to discuss things with. The specific topic of conversation? Whatever. :) 23:28, 21 September 2008 (UTC)


Note, the one astronomy picture showing the big bang and the expansion of the universe was great to see on the main page today. Great pick. Ottava Rima (talk) 16:46, 3 October 2008 (UTC)

G'day McC[edit]

I've begun work on collecting my thoughts in an Ethics Sandbox, with the intention of trying to help a Wikiversity 'Wikimedia Ethics' project make some sense eventually :-) - I thought I'd drop a note in to a couple of places to get some advice and feedback ahead of diving in and mercilessly editing in the project space :-) cheers, Privatemusings 03:40, 10 October 2008 (UTC)

Here is a friendly notice[edit]

that in a discussion between John Schmidt's talk page and mine we mentioned your work. Hillgentleman | //\\ |Talk 23:27, 20 October 2008 (UTC)

Invitation to the Wikipedia course project[edit]

Hello,

I have noticed that you have developed nice course material related to Wikipedia. Would you like to contribute to the Wikipedia university level course as well? You may for example add your name to the list of interested course developers, and fact-check the quizzes. Kind regards. Mange01 09:55, 18 November 2008 (UTC)

Nobody can be free if they need anybody else to tell them what "free" means[edit]

You mean to say telling people what freedom means is actually not that difficult (e.g. explaining Higher-order volitions) but most people don't realize it, unless they are told? Why do you phrase it in Two's complement? --fasten 11:13, 31 December 2008 (UTC)

TestWiki[edit]

I found your name on the participant list of Quiz. What do you think about TestWiki? Would that be useful for Wikiversity? --fasten 11:13, 31 December 2008 (UTC)

Threaded Discussions[edit]

Hello! I was checking around d wikiversity and saw that wikiversity allows threaded discussions as learning projects.

However, is it possible that we have a programmed page - dynamic one - which updates the order of the discussions as and when they are edited? I am referring to the standard format of discussion forums. A little more convenience translates into regular participation of a lot of students who are here not to learn as much as they want to help/share. We already have templates that add a page into a category etcetra, but will this one be possible?

On a closing note, I was actually relieved that discussions qualify as teaching resources; given the fact that wikibooks is pretty stringent to the definition of textbooks. They won't allow a book of questions and answers! --Thewinster 06:50, 3 January 2009 (UTC)

Reply here. --SB_Johnny talk 13:19, 3 January 2009 (UTC)

Icon in Robelbox[edit]

Dear Sir, I need to ask you about a problem in Robelbox icon. I place to Robelboxes side by side in a table that have the td value of 50% of the page. Every thing is fine but when the browser (IE) window is stretched or shorten by mouse the Robelbox icons jumps out of position, I mean a displacement will happen. Is there any method to prevent this situation? I will follow the changes in this page here to find your reply. Thankyou.

Project incubator update on HHF[edit]

Please check Wikiversity:Project_incubator for an update on HHF. I have made a forum like structure for discussing topics in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. I have a target audience for this forum, so that won't be a problem. We have definite use for this forum, but there are somethings that are required for a smooth operation of the forum. Please feel free to brainstorm on the project incubator about this project. In the mean while, you can have a look at HHF. --Dharav talk 12:58, 24 August 2009 (UTC)

Please unprotect my picture so I can edit the copyright[edit]

Hello my friend. I have a copyright notice on one of my technical writing pictures, but because you linked to it on one of your protected pages, I cannot now edit the picture metadata to say that it's mine and copyright free...ugh.

Thanks, TWFred 18:34, 25 January 2010 (UTC)

Addendum...it's the picture of me and the pretty woman. Thanks!

how is it going?[edit]

see also here, ----Erkan Yilmaz uses the Wikiversity:Chat (try) 20:03, 31 March 2010 (UTC)

Hello[edit]

Where have you been? Ottava Rima (talk) 15:00, 29 July 2010 (UTC)

You are invited to register for the Wikiversity Assembly[edit]

Democracy.png
  • The Wikiversity:Assembly has been established as a technique for developing reports on topics of import for Wikiversity administration. The Assembly is not a decision-making body, per se. Rather, it is designed to create or discover or estimate consensus, through focused, facilitated, thorough deliberation. Assembly reports may be referenced in regular Wikiversity discussions, but will not directly control outcomes. Where full consensus is not found, minority reports may be issued.
  • I invite you to register for the Wikiversity:Assembly by adding your user name to the Wikiversity:Delegable proxy/Table.
  • Registering for the Assembly creates no specific obligation, but does consent to direct communication as the Assembly may determine is appropriate. You may opt out of such direct communication by adding "no messages" to the Table when you register, in the user comment field, but it is unlikely that the default (communication allowed) will create burdensome traffic for you.

You are invited to name a proxy[edit]

  • When you register for the Assembly, you may optionally designate a "proxy."
  • I suggest that you nominate, as a proxy, the user whom you most trust to participate positively in a Wikiversity discussion if you are unable to participate yourself. The proxy will not be voting for you in any process. Rather, the proxy will be considered to loosely represent you, as a means of estimating probable large-scale consensus based on small-scale participation, in the event that you do not personally participate.
  • If you name a proxy, you will be consenting to direct communication with you by that proxy. If a named proxy accepts the proxy, you become, as long as you maintain the nomination (you may change it at any time), the "client" of the proxy, and by accepting, a proxy has consented to direct communication from the client.

Comments[edit]

I'm inviting all relatively inactive custodians to register for the Assembly, and to name a proxy as described. This is because you who have been and remain custodians have yourselves been trusted by the community, and your proxy choice, if you name one, may carry some reasonable weight, due to your experience. You may, of course, participate directly, whether you do or do not name a proxy. Thanks for considering this. --Abd 01:41, 12 September 2011 (UTC)

PLE feedback[edit]

Hello again McCormack, since you were involved from begin here in regards to PLE's would you mind sharing your experiences? Thanks, ----Erkan Yilmaz uses the Wikiversity:Chat + Identi.ca 05:17, 13 February 2012 (UTC)

Your admin status[edit]

Hello. I'm a steward. A new policy regarding the removal of "advanced rights" (administrator, bureaucrat, etc.) was adopted by community consensus recently. According to this policy, the stewards are reviewing administrators' activity on wikis with no inactivity policy.   You meet the inactivity criteria (no edits and no log actions for 2 years) on enwikiversity, where you are an administrator. Since that wiki does not have its own administrators' rights review process, the global one applies.   If you want to keep your rights, you should inform the community of the wiki about the fact that the stewards have sent you this information about your inactivity. If the community has a discussion about it and then wants you to keep your rights, please contact the stewards at m:Stewards' noticeboard, and link to the discussion of the local community, where they express their wish to continue to maintain the rights, and demonstrate a continued requirement to maintain these rights.   We stewards will evaluate the responses. If there is no response at all after approximately one month, we will proceed to remove your administrative rights. In cases of doubt, we will evaluate the responses and will refer a decision back to the local community for their comment and review. If you have any questions, please contact us on m:Stewards' noticeboard.   Best regards, Rschen7754 21:00, 23 November 2014 (UTC)