Hello Lysander89, and welcome to Wikiversity! If you need help, feel free to visit my talk page, or contact us and ask questions. After you leave a comment on a talk page, remember to sign and date; it helps everyone follow the threads of the discussion. The signature icon in the edit window makes it simple. To get started, you may
And don't forget to explore Wikiversity with the links to your left. Be bold to contribute and to experiment with the sandbox or your userpage, and see you around Wikiversity! ----SB_Johnny talk 12:50, 22 August 2009 (UTC)
I appreciate your stated intentions about improving School:Computer Science and Portal:Computer Science and advancing Wikiversity. All such efforts are needed and welcome. If you wish to collaborate with others, be sure to study SB_Johnny's welcome card above thoroughly. Take full advantage of the associated talk pages and join appropriate content development groups usually found in Topic: or School: namespaces. You're right about Wikiversity's lack of structure, but it's coming along. I'm sometimes in #wikiversity-en on IRC as yeoman or tractor if you'ld like to try real-time collaboration. Let me know if I can help! Welcome! CQ 03:50, 23 August 2009 (UTC)
- Sorry I keep missing you on IRC... today makes it twice now that I've sat down at the keyboard a few minutes after you logged off. :-/.
- Structure has long been an issue for us. You might want to open a thread on WV:C to get a bit more about the history of it and the options. --SB_Johnny talk 10:40, 23 August 2009 (UTC)
Some help required[edit source]
Hi! I am setting up a new discussion forum on wikiversity for highschool students at HHF. I require some assistance in setting up pages and doing some writeups. The part on asking questions and tracking them in the order of latest reply is complete, thankfully! I was asking CQ for help and he directed me to you.
- Hi there. Thanks for the reply. I know all the problems with this wiki acting as a forum. It'll be very lousy. And thanks for suggesting all the stuff that you did, especially liquidthreads. Did you have a look at http://blog.werdn.us/2009/06/discussion-threading-on-wikimedia-sites-with-liquidthreads/ ? It is a liquid thread implementation.
- Yes indeed the present forum system has it's problems. It's clumsy and patchy. I don't think anyone will resist any imporovements. If we can get an actual forum working, well and good. My suggestion is, let's run that in the background. Let's just make HHF operational the way it is, and then add liquidthreads when it becomes a suitable substitution for phpBB3.
- I have a question - can phpBB3 be installed on mediawiki? Or can the source code be modified and included in mediawiki software? I am up for anything that makes sense. Can you give me more details on the possibilities with the two software working on wikiversity? The liquidthreads extension and phpBB3?
- What's the chance that we can run a software on sandboxserver.org [Let's say phpBB3] and make it edit/create pages on wikiversity?
- My suggestion - we let HHF stay as it is right now, except changing the forum "Looks" and keeping the tracking system as-is. Side by side, we work on the liquidthreads extension. When it's finally done, we implement it on HHF and elsewhere.
- is it worth the effort? Will liquid threads allow forums, sub forums, tracking and displaying of threads in chornological order according to last edits, flag some posts and all that jazz? Or is it just the discussion that'll be jazzified? Is it only meant for talk pages?
- I know there are many complications on HHF right now and the templates/categories system I've used is pretty primitive, but it can be used AT THE MOMENT to make the forum work and changed later on! I would not be able to collaborate on liquid threads with full commitment, but no way in hell I won't help anyone trying to help HHF. If we go with this, then HHF requires a makeover rightnow. We'll keep the overhaul of the system in the pipeline, working on both of them simultaneously.
- Thanks for the help, and let's continue the discussion on Talk:HHF
- --Dharav talk 06:16, 27 August 2009 (UTC)
Network Computers, Clusters and Clouds[edit source]
Do you think you will have room in your Computer Networks topic to include Clusters and Clouds as a sub-topic?
I am currently trying to develop a Charity Souper Computer (Heterogeneous Cluster of Donated Components) and I am sure that considerations of which cluster operating system to use, might be of interest to others. --Graeme E. Smith 13:20, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
Miss You![edit source]
We all appreciate your contributions to the School of Computer Science and we'd love to see you back. Hope to hear from you. --AFriedman 16:10, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
- Best of luck with your assignments! Thanks for letting us know about your absence, and looking forward to seeing you back. Yes, Computer Science is very time consuming :). My own courses start on the 8th of September and will probably keep me up at night :(. --AFriedman 04:06, 3 September 2009 (UTC)