Jump to navigation Jump to search
| You are examining an archive of past discussions for transparent review by inquisitive participants.
Please ask questions and share your thoughts on the current discussion page.
Blog archives by month
- At the bottom of every page there is text that reads: "All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License (see Copyrights for details)." The page that gives details, however, is a proposed policy. We might want to change the link to a WMF copyright page until we make our own policy official. It doesn't look good to link to a copyright page that basically says "maybe this is our policy." --mikeu talk 00:04, 23 September 2008 (UTC)
- Thought of the day: consensus and the zeroth law of robotics --mikeu talk 13:48, 24 September 2008 (UTC)
- Philosophical Question #3: Is the individual greater than the community?
- That depends on the nature of the community. In a combat unit fighting for material gains, it is customary to sacrifice a chess piece for the sake of winning the game. In a spiritual community, saving the individual is an overarching goal. In an educational community, the dilemma is comparable to the one faced by Mrs. Zajac in Tracy Kidder's book, Among Schoolchildren. In that story, the teacher spent an enormous amount of time and energy trying to save two problem children (Clarence and Robert). In the end, Mrs. Zajac failed to reach them, and so everyone lost, including the other children in the class who were neglected while Mrs. Zajac spent so much time on a futile effort to reach Clarence and Robert. 
- Reminder to self: check the links in Special:Statistics and find the MediaWiki: page to edit it. --mikeu talk 23:39, 26 September 2008 (UTC)
- Reminder to check up on students who appear to be creating a project at wikipedia. --mikeu talk 17:36, 29 September 2008 (UTC)
- The Association of American Colleges and Universities will be holding a conference in Providence called Engaging Science, Advancing Learning: General Education, Majors, and the New Global Century. --mikeu talk 21:17, 29 September 2008 (UTC)