User:Jtneill/Presentations/How and why to edit Wikipedia
How and why to edit Wikipedia
- Wikipedia – An investment for your future; your children's future (youtube. 4:09 mins)
Wikimedia Foundation sister projects
Why edit Wikipedia?
- Share your expertise
- Network with other experts
- Build online social identity for your:
- “Easy” way to volunteer
Why would you edit?
How to edit Wikipedia?
- Create an account
- Real name or a screen name
- Accounts are global, so you'll also edit Wikiversity, Wikibooks, etc.
- Create a user page (optional)
- Your user page is a good place to practice editing, if you're unsure
- Watchlist articles of interest
- Start by improving existing articles
Wikipedia editing basics
- Edit & Save (with edit summary)
- Bold, Italics, Underline
- Links – internal and external
- Inserting images
- Working with tables
- Wikipedia editing basics:
- How and why to edit Wikipedia (Slideshare)