Jimmy Wales recently said, "I think we should run small experiments, tests, see what works, what doesn't, and be prepared to be flexible and change, and not be too locked into stone about how things should work."
I am interested in Wikiversity as a playground for explorers and active learners. I hope that the Wikiversity community can learn how to facilitate learning projects that will allow Wikiversity participants to reach and discover their learning goals.
I became interested in Wikiversity back in 2004. After the 2005 community vote on the original Wikiversity project proposal the Board of Trustees asked for some changes to the proposal, I started conspiring with folks like Cormaggio to fix the Wikiversity proposal. I think the Board was correct to direct the Wikiversity community away from conventional courses. We need to find new ways to use wiki technology to facilitate online learning. Towards that end, a new Wikiversity model for e-learning was developed at the Wikimedia meta-wiki and included in the modified Wikiversity project proposal, as requested by the Board.
So the modified Wikiversity project proposal was finally approved. As an "emergency" measure, Cormaggio, acting as the first Wikiversity bureaucrat, made me a custodian on the English language Wikiversity. If you need the help of a custodian, use my talk page, send me an email, or go to the page that is used to Request custodian action.
Other Wiki Projects
On 27 February 2003 I registered as JWSchmidt on the English language Wikipedia. In December of 2005 I became an administrator at Wikipedia. There is more information about me on my Wikipedia user page. I am also a custodian at Wikiversity beta.
I remain intrigued and challenged by the way wiki projects first fragment then the fragments struggle to cooperate. I hope the Wikiversity community can support good editing for Wikibooks textbooks and Wikipedia encyclopedia articles.
Learning projects of interest
- Jargon project - promotes use of hyperlinks, gloassaries, invitations for people to ask questions.
- A. S. Neill School of Free Learning - students are assisted as they explore the topics that are of greatest personal interest.
- Wiki learning project - explore how to use wikis in education
- Human Genetic Uniqueness Project - What makes humans human?
- MediaWiki Project - develop new MediaWiki features for the Wikiversity community
- Wikiversity NPC - $$$$$$$ for Wikiversity
- Cell Biology - Hub for Cell Biology-related learning activities
- Cell biology improvement drive - service project for Wikipedia
- Citing Sources - Fostering the Wikiversity culture of scholarly citation of sources
- Why 10 dimensions - learning about String theory
- Wikiversity the Movie - need to link to from relevant pages
- Wiki - learning how to use wiki technology to facilitate online learning.
- Science as Religion - explore the relationships between science and religion
- Science teaching materials for creationism - What should Wikiversity do if a an editor wants to add learning materials to Wikiversity that aim to teach creationism as science?
- Unsolved problems in neuroscience
- Free Will as control philosophytalk
- Topic:New Age Religions
- Exploring science through fiction
- Stem Cells
- Virtual cell project example
- Introduction to Medical Microbiology
- Wikiversity scholarship learning project for all Wikiversity participants
- Introduction to GarageBand
- Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
Divisions and Departments
- Comments on courses at Wikiversity.
- History and visions
- Wikipedia, the Free Online Encyclopedia, Ponders a New Entity: Wikiversity - old news (pre-launch)
- It's New Media: But is it Art Education? by Trebor Scholz (links to wikiversity.org)
- w:DjVu - allowed file type
- Category:Uncategorized - for pages that need to be categorized...also; Special:Uncategorized pages
- Category:Requests for unblock - watch for requests
- Category:Possible copyright violations - watch
- Wikiversity:Publishing original research
- shaded discussion page code
- Template:Audio - inline link to audio
- Wikiversity:Frequently visited pages
- User:JohnWSchmidt - for testing non-custodian user accounts
- Wikiversity:Introduction -
- Wikiversity:Multiple points of view
- Wikiversity:Welcome templates
- Category:Page creation templates
- Category:Import backups
- Category:Pages moved from Meta
- Educational Wikis
- Template:Browse - content of Wikiversity:Browse
- User:SBJohnny - imported page linking
- Help with the migration of Wikiversity pages from Wikibooks
- Wikiversity:I Want to Know
- Wikiversity:Userboxes - they need to help, not hurt the community
- Wikiversity page at Aboutus.org
- color coded wiki words to show how much they are changed by editors through time. Also forms the basis for ranking editors according to how long their edits are retained by other editors.
- what do to with the wikipedia.com portal, and agreed to the concept of setting up a specific portal, where we could explain more about the projects, about the Foundation, welcome services etc... all things to be discussed in length as wikipedians know perfectly to do?
- Kronberg Declaration on the Future of Knowledge Acquisition and Sharing
- wiki documentary
- could there be automated sock puppet checking for votes?
- Admins are encouraged to ignore the results of idiotic votes, and to listen to thoughtful discussions - six years along and we have to keep saying this?
- 2007 Wikipedia Selection for schools
- w:Wikipedia:Song/The RfA Candidate's Song - the Wikipedia audio template is looking good
- m:User:Dapete/Catgraph - category graph tool
- Open Source Toolset
- Gizmo - like Skype but allows recording.
- w:Template:Listen - beta release of in-browser ogg file play
- Wikimedia advisory board
- image maps
- w:Wikipedia:Syndication - RSS feeds
- Editing tutorial
- One Laptop per Child - educational content
- Lucid Dreaming - possible Wikiversity cognitive science project
- Multimedia - Multimedia for Wikimedia
- Audio and video media - at Wikipedia; ogg formats
- Metaversity 13:33 24 August, 2006
- Alexa - October 14 2006 Traffic Rank for wikiversity.org: 66,733, Jan 5 2007 raffic Rank for wikiversity.org: 26,382
- slide shows about Wikipedia and wikis - University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Board retreat - October 2006
- German Wikiversity - unique namespaces
- Spanish Wikiversity - bad sidebar links
- French Wikiversity - cool category link
- List of Wikimedia Foundation Projects
- checkuser ombudsperson
- pseudoscience arbcom case
- Lawrence Lessig - Free culture
- scholarpedia - sp