User:Guy vandegrift/Merging history pages
|I spent a lot of time trying NOT to use a third page because deleting scares me. Effort failed. I need a break, will practice and get this procedure down pat next time I have to merge histories|
Consider two pages which I shall call Source and Destination.
- Delete Destination (you will undelete later).
- Move Source to Destination using using "More>Move" in the edit bar at the top of the screen.
- Undelete Destination using "Tools/Logs" on the right sidebar.
- Refresh/clear cache (can't you just use a different browser?)
- See also w:Wikipedia:How_to_fix_cut-and-paste_moves#An_easy_case</ref>
- Goal: Merge A and B.
- Delete B.
- Move A to B.
- View history of B and click on "View or restore ... deleted edits?"
- Restore all edits.
- @Abd: I put your explanation just below mine, and linked to the Wikipedia page on the subject. This current page links out of my Editorial tricks page, so I am certain I will find it next time I merge. I also learned how to create the shortcuts on my browser in such a way that I can keep track of everything. Thanks for your help
- Looking over your algorithm, I noticed that you looked at the history of B in order to restore, while I went into Tools/Logs. I will check that out next time. Although this documentation is not polished, I think its enough for now, considering that its on a user page.
- One more thing: When I first studied this I think I did the manual merge on my practice page. Then I discovered Special:MergeHistory, but did not realize that it only worked when all the edits of one page come later than all the edits in the other. This misunderstanding explains why I spent so much time trying to use Special:MergeHistory. Nothing is more destructive than the false belief that in the past you successfully used a tool that cannot do the job. --Guy vandegrift (discuss • contribs) 02:36, 27 August 2015 (UTC)
A different point of view from Wikipedia
If I am correctly reading w:Wikipedia:Merging#Full-content_paste_merger, best practice might not involve merging histories. Instead, one can keep both pages and use a redirect. The namespace associated with one of the versions will remain forever dedicated to documenting the history. Wikipedia would use three templates to document this situation: