User:Erkan Yilmaz/observations/2008 April
You are invited to add your comments (e.g. but my perception of this issue is different) - please sign anything you add (howto Wikiversity:Signature).
- 1 2008 April 29 - Week 9 (and 10): Comments, reflection, peer evaluation and feedback
- 2 2008 April 28 - How important is a page ? (previously titled: what is a page ?)
- 3 2008 April 22 - Sharing Video(s) (OER - week 8)
- 4 2008 April 19 - Sharing Audio (OER - week 7)
- 5 2008 April 7 - Taking and Sharing Pictures (OER - week 6)
- 6 2008 April 4 - German Wikibooks + Wikiversity: creating together a flyer
- 7 2008 April 1 - OER: Wikipedia and Wikimedia - week 5
2008 April 29 - Week 9 (and 10): Comments, reflection, peer evaluation and feedback
- done also at least at begin of class
- todo: visit some more
- general feedback about the course itself: Composing free and open online educational resources/Critique and feedback
- todo: read again my posts from the past weeks to find some more input for above
2008 April 28 - How important is a page ? (previously titled: what is a page ?)
At the moment I am thinking mostly that it is...
... just a page, it is mostly static, not live. If you have the opportunity: go for the live thing. Same goes here: after writing/reviewing, this forms already other ideas which are not even included in it. So, and now try to stop the new ideas from being developed :-)
- "...let's say carelessly this is WV (though it consists of many individuals - note: I don't say pages)..." Talk:Vandal Fighting, ----Erkan Yilmaz uses the Wikiversity:Chat (try) 21:36, 30 June 2008 (UTC)
2008 April 22 - Sharing Video(s) (OER - week 8)
thoughts - in progress
- I have finally created an intro tutorial for German Wikiversity:
- Before I encountered following probs:
- I have created a 475 MB avi which goes about 5 mins. Since commons allows only a specific video format (see commons:Help:Converting video) I had to find a converter. And here the problem begins: either the tools:
- brought during conversion an error or created color problems:
- So, I uploaded the latter one and will try to solve this color problem. If this doesn't help I will convert it a reduced avi and upload it on a non-Wikimedia-project as listed in the assignment (which I don't prefer actually).
- In September 2007 I created videos for the Wikiversity screen saver - see commons:Category:Wikiversity videos
- In Nov. 2006 I created a "video"-tutorial (with not so good sound quality) for a Wikiversity course with the tool Wink (tutorial software). Since it is interactive swf it is bad to convert in a format which commons accepts easily (again the prob that only a certain video format is accepted by commons), so I just quote in next chapter.
- I wonder why I didn't use/create since then more videos (though they are a good medium to transmit info) ?
- time resources: perhaps too much effort to create them ?
- the restrictions by commons ?
- less interested persons in it ?
about: graphic display of algorithms in source code
video tutorial: in German, still under review (requires: Shockwave-Player).
- In the following tutorial you will see, how the appropriate graph to a source code looks like.
- In detail: With the tool jGRASP there is created for the Java source code MergeSort.java from the Wikiversity course algorithms and data structures (Algorithmen und Datenstrukturen) the CSD (Control Structure Diagram).
- Reason of this tutorial: To show you, how fast such a graph can be created. It should show you that there is nothing complicated behind this - with a tool this is done automatically and easy.
- Here you can see the Shockwave-Tutorial <- German version (I will create an English version soon) and still under review (condition: Shockwave-Player).
2008 April 19 - Sharing Audio (OER - week 7)
thoughts - in progress
- Adding the picture on the right: while listening to music now (which changes my mood): I think before sharing audio one needs to have the ability to do so - there are many people who can not speak.
- Instead of uploading one podcast, I have done following: I have converted one of my pages to wiki syntax, see User:Erkan Yilmaz/translations with sound files and the available 123 sound files will be uploaded to commons so more wikis can use them
- first sound files uploaded under licence: Cc-by-nc-sa-2.0-dual, e.g.
- Ich weiß, dass ich nichts weiß (German) - I know that I do not know (anything)
- Lernen ist herausfinden, was du bereits weißt (German) - Learning is finding out what you already know.
- Unter den Blinden ist der Einäugige König (German) - In the land of the blind people, who has an eye is the king
- Tanıştığımıza sevindim (Turkish) - Nice to meet you
- Enchantée (French) - Nice to meet you
- Well, what was a little hindering is: I have to convert the mp3s first to ogg to upload on commons :-( After finding 2 nice freeware tools, also this was solved quick. Now I just have to upload the files to commons and edit the page here with the file names.
- Tell others also about Wikiversity's Wiki Campus Radio
2008 April 7 - Taking and Sharing Pictures (OER - week 6)
thoughts - in progress
- While reading the assignment I checked how much pictures I have uploaded so far on commons - it is 107 (either self created or from other wikimedia projects brought to commons). Click here to see how often a bot told me to fix something. Here you can also see some pictures still being at Wikiversity. I must use one time the Move-to-commons assistant to move them to commons.
- Well I don't have a digital cam, so let's see how this will be.
- >Maybe you can improve the photo
- Well I remember having done an improvement in the past for this photo: commons:Image:Alliances in the Pelopennesian War, 431 B.C. 1.JPG. More info here.
- Besides this I have lately started to use some more pictures in the posts here to relax more the text
- Recently here at Wikiversity was a group of more than 100 students taking part in the Design for the Environment. Since new users can only upload pictures here at Wikiversity after 4 days of account registration there was done this edit to help them upload faster pictures to commons.
- Well I know Flickr too - but somehow I prefer all my pictures to be on one place - which is commons. In case you don't know, commons has also imported pictures from Flickr, see commons:Category:Flickr
- I dare you to read an old post of mine here regarding commons. :-)
- on 9th April I was possessed by the "devil" and tagged some pictures regarding licence and informed the uploaders - how dare I ?
Hi Erkan - may I ask you a bold question? Why isn't there an obligation to tag images with a whatsoever copyright flag when you upload it? Is that on purpose or because it just doesn't work this way in wikis? --- Barbara Braun
- Of course and btw: that is an interesting question.
- Well, there are some wikis which oblige for a tag - otherwise you can not upload. One problem with that is, that if the user doesn't know or doesn't read the licence background info, the user would just select one (which might be not appropriate). But that problem of selecting a wrong licence consists also here at Wikiversity - but at least with the possibility to select no licence we can ask the user again to reselect and provide more help.
- I am not sure exactly why it is like it is - but most wikis I am in are like this - I guess it is a standard option by the Wikimedia foundation ? I can ask someone later in the evening.
- There was some recent discussion also if users should upload only at commons, see Wikiversity talk:Licensing policy (because since it is software we could disable the upload (partly) here ) ----Erkan Yilmaz uses the Wikiversity:Chat (try) 06:33, 14 April 2008 (UTC)
2008 April 4 - German Wikibooks + Wikiversity: creating together a flyer
That is a signal to all others: German Wikibooks and Wikiversity love each other and are creating together a flyer. Wanna look ? de.Wikibooks
2008 April 1 - OER: Wikipedia and Wikimedia - week 5
still in progress
- try to find (perhaps) answers to these questions:
- What do you think about the Wikimedia projects?
- Great idea. I am part of it - you can also be - why don't you try it ?
- You need most of the times just a sparkling idea.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry:
- If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders.
- Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
- What do you think will be the future of the Wikimedia projects?
- They will certainly extend and produce many new projects, as long as people don't forget that it is about the P (P stands for people and not - pages or process - see examples below)
- How do you see the future of OERs when you think about the Wikimedia projects?
- Let's hope they will grow the same way. Though they certainly will introduce some tools to check for quality, see e.g. Wikipedia:Flagged revisions. I hope we can influence people's minds to reserve some of their time to this idea.
- While reading Anica's post I remembered the comparison between German Wikipedia and another German online encyclopedia. See for result and other info here: Reliability_of_Wikipedia#Assessment
- while reading How and Why Wikipedia Works: An Interview with Angela Beesley, Elisabeth Bauer, and Kizu Naoko
- 1. So, the article is from about 2 years ago. People should keep in mind that some things might have been changed/old
- 2. a story about addiction and the word "their":
- I brainwashed finally a friend of mine who uses de.Wikipedia just for consuming. So that he also contributes to it. He made an edit at de.WP about topic xyz (he studied that) - as IP. And another seasoned editor removed it. So what happened next ?
- A few days later the friend told me: "Hey, my edit got reverted. But I don't understand why. It was correct." Thank God there is a version history in Wikimedia projects and I could find his edit. The summary comment was not satisfying for my friend. I told him then that he can write on the talk page and to the editor in what aspect the information which was reverted was correct.
- Guess what ? My friend still did not do it. Think about why this is.
- Some editors forget that you need for the goal to succeed the P (and P stands for people and not pages).
- 3. About deletion of pages:
- people forget or don't know that every edit can be restored again form the database. And if you want this edit/page can be brought to Wikiversity, see Wikiversity:Wikimedia Garbage Detail
- 4. admins / custodians / sysops / janitors / gardeners / ...
- Is being admin a "big deal" or "not a big deal" ?
- What does the admin and the non-admin think about that (over time) ?
- btw: WV uses the term custodian and is more relaxed than some other projects, see Wikiversity:Custodianship#How does one become a custodian? about WV's approach. Here also counts: it is about the P (and P stands for people and not process).
- 5. My answer to "What's the best way for a researcher to get started?"
- Just do it, EXPLORE ! You will learn easily the wiki syntax and be bold !
- 6. 'anyone can edit' model:
- Great thing, keep it simple please. A bad edit can be reverted later on, but to get someone to share her knowledge is not so easy as it seems