UFO/Sightings in outer space
Gemini 7 bogey
Franklin Roach, based on his interpretation of the transcripts of the crew's discussion, said that there were visual sightings made by the astronauts while in orbit which were not adequately explained. James Oberg, based on his trajectory analysis of the Gemini 7 mission, describes the astronauts' comments about a "bogey" as referring to booster-associated debris, and not a reference to some sort of UFO. [lower-alpha 1]
A video taken during mission STS-48 of Space Shuttle Discovery while in orbit on September 15, 1991 shows a flash of light and several objects that appear to be flying in an artificial or controlled fashion. NASA said this was from ice particles reacting to engine jets, while James Oberg claimed that the flash was from a thruster firing. Philip C. Plait discussed the issue in his book Bad Astronomy, agreeing with NASA.
- Oberg, James (September 15, 1995). "Gemini-7: Lessons and Legends (A 30th Anniversary Revisit) – "Formation Flying", "Lessons Learned" Later, and one "Bogey"".
- Condon, Edward Uhler; Gillmor, Daniel S, ed (1969). "Chapter 6, section 9: Visual Observations Made by Astronauts, by Dr. Franklin Roach". Scientific Study of Unidentified Flying Objects. NY: Bantam Books. pp. 204–208. ISBN 9780552047470. ISBN 0552047473.
- "Gemini VII Voice Communications (Air-to-ground, Ground-to-air and on-board transcription)" 1. NASA. March 18, 1988. p. 32.
- Plait, Philip C. (2002). Bad Astronomy. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 0-471-40976-6. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=eInnwg77gbkC&pg=PP1&dq=#PPA209,M1.
- Nasa's Unexplained Files. Are We Alone?. Discovery Communications. March 27, 2012. http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-shows/are-we-alone/about-this-show/about-are-we-alone.htm.
- "Footage in the Sky: The Truth Behind NASA's UFO Videos". Hearst Communications. June 03, 2009.