|Please share your thoughts about whether to merge this page with School:Plant Sciences.|
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Yesno' not found.
Welcome to the Department of Botany!
Botany is the scientific study of plant life. As a branch of biology, it is also called plant science(s) or plant biology. Botany covers a wide range of scientific disciplines that study plants including: structure, growth, reproduction, metabolism, development and diseases of plants, chemical properties and evolutionary relationships between different plant groups. The study of plants and botany began with tribal lore, used to identify edible, medicinal and poisonous plants, making botany one of the oldest sciences. From this ancient interest in plants, the scope of botany has increased to include the study of over 550,000 kinds or species of living organisms.
- February 28, 2007 - Department founded!
- Topic:Agronomy — Application of plant science to crop production
- Topic:Bryology — Mosses, liverworts, and hornworts
- Topic:Economic botany—The place of plants in economics
- Topic:Ethnobotany — Relationship between humans and plants
- Topic:Forestry — Forest management and related studies
- Topic:Horticulture — Cultivated plants
- Topic:Paleobotany — Fossil plants
- Topic:Palynology — Pollen and spores
- Topic:Phycology - Algae
- Topic:Phytochemistry — Plant secondary chemistry and chemical processes
- Topic:Phytopathology — Plant diseases
- Topic:Plant anatomy — Cell and tissue structure
- Topic:Plant ecology — Role of plants in the environment
- Topic:Plant genetics — Genetic inheritance in plants
- Topic:Plant morphology — Structure and life cycles
- Topic:Plant physiology — Life functions of plants
- Plant systematics — Classification and naming of plants