When any effort to acquire a system of laws or knowledge focusing on an astr, aster, or astro, that is, any natural body in the sky especially at night, succeeds even in its smallest measurement, astronomy is the name of the effort and the result.
Many of the terms and concepts of astronomy have been introduced to most students at or by a secondary level. Astronomical theory and fundamentals are worked on during courses at the university undergraduate level. Ultimately, this learning resource engages the student with the state of the art. Enjoy the challenge!
This learning resource serves both as an introduction to the field of astronomy and to connect together observational and theoretical astronomy.
Hypotheses[edit | edit source]
- Observers have been watching the skies and recording what they saw for more than 40,000 years.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Philip B. Gove, ed (1963). Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary. Springfield, Massachusetts: G. & C. Merriam Company. pp. 1221.
Further reading[edit | edit source]
- James Binney, Michael Merrifield (1998). Galactic Astronomy. Princeton University Press. ISBN 0691004021. OCLC 39108765.
- Kaufmann, W. J. (1994). Universe. W H Freeman. ISBN 0-7167-2379-4.
- Smith, E.V.P.; Jacobs, K.C.; Zeilik, M.; Gregory, S.A. (1997). Introductory Astronomy and Astrophysics. Thomson Learning. ISBN 0-03-006228-4.
[edit | edit source]
- "From Stargazers to Starships", Educational web site (high-school level) by David P. Stern.
- Google scholar Advanced Scholar Search
- International Astronomical Union
- Is My Favorite Object an X-ray, Gamma-Ray, or EUV Source?
- NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database - NED
- NASA's National Space Science Data Center
- Office of Scientific & Technical Information
- Scirus for scientific information only advanced search
- SDSS Quick Look tool: SkyServer
- SIMBAD Astronomical Database
- SMARTBoards and the Journey to the Cosmic Frontier (2008)
- Spacecraft Query at NASA
- Universal coordinate converter
- Wiley Online Library Advanced Search