Def. a written or "spoken lesson or exposition, usually delivered to a group" is called a lecture.
Def. a lecture or speech "that sets the main theme of a conference or other gathering" is called a keynote lecture.
Expositions[edit | edit source]
Def. an "act of declaring or describing something through either speech or writing" is called an exposition, such as an "essay or speech in which any topic is discussed in detail", an "opening section in fiction, including novel, play, and movie, by which background information about the characters, events, or setting is conveyed" or an "opening section of a fugue; the opening section of a movement in sonata form".
Lessons[edit | edit source]
Def. a "section of learning or teaching into which a wider learning content is divided" is called a lesson, such as a "learning task assigned to a student" or an "exercise; a composition serving an educational purpose".
"In our school a typical working week consists of around twenty lessons and ten hours of related laboratory work."
Landing pages[edit | edit source]
Def. a "web page at which a user first arrives at a website" is called a landing page.
"A good international landing page should have languages in some type of graphic that all browsers can read, followed by a selection of other languages that the user can shoot to quickly."
"When the user arrives at that landing page the content is not generic (as the home page will be) but specific".
"Your most important information on the landing page should be above the fold."
"If they see their user-generated scent of information (keywords) on a website's landing page, they believe the page will help ... Searchers become confident that the landing page is giving them what they need."
"Is your landing page clearly about that keyword, and is the keyword used repeatedly on the landing page?"
In online marketing, a landing page, sometimes known as a "lead capture page" or a "lander", or a "destination page", is a single web page that appears in response to clicking on a search engine optimized search result or an online advertisement. The landing page will usually display directed sales copy that is a logical extension of the advertisement, search result or link. Landing pages are used for w:lead generation. The actions that a visitor takes on a landing page is what determines an advertiser's conversion rate.
By analyzing activity generated by the linked URL, marketers can use click-through rates and conversion rate to determine the success of an advertisement.
Landing pages originated with the IT departments of Microsoft in late 2003 in response to poor online sales of Microsoft Office.
Landing pages often contain clear, concise action-oriented headlines. A good landing page explains the product offer in a clear manner and places visual emphasis on the value of the product or service presented.
Marketing experts recommend websites remove the navigation menu and limit internal and external links on the page. They may also include a relevant image, animation or short video. These pages also tend to contain small icons (i.e. of Facebook, or Twitter) to facilitate social media sharing.
The data for A/B testing (webpage: version "A" and version "B") is usually measured via click-through rate or an alternative conversion tracking method.
|Astronomy||88||Introduction to astronomy||269||2/27/19||Astronomy||62||Astronomy resources||12|
|Astronomy||88||Astronomy college course||80||2/27/19||Astronomy||62||Astronomy resources||12|
|Astronomy||88||Principles of radiation astronomy||375||2/27/19||Astronomy||62||Astronomy resources||12|
|Astronomy||88||Mathematical astronomy||2,123||2/27/19||Astronomy||62||Astronomy resources||12|
|Astronomy||88||Astronomical observatories||169||2/27/19||Astronomy||62||Astronomy resources||12|
|Astronomy||88||Astronomical problems||146||2/27/19||Astronomy||62||Astronomy resources||12|
|Astronomy||88||Astronomical regions||177||2/27/19||Astronomy||62||Astronomy resources||12|
|Astronomy||88||Astronomical sources||104||2/27/19||Astronomy||62||Astronomy resources||12|
|Astronomy||88||Astronomical theory||166||2/27/19||Astronomy||62||Astronomy resources||12|
|Cosmogony||50||Cosmogony/Laboratory||22||2/27/19||Radiation astronomy||21||Radiation astronomy resources||64|
|Cosmogony||50||Cosmogony/Quiz||26||2/27/19||Radiation astronomy||21||Radiation astronomy resources||64|
|Earth||103||Earth as a gaseous object*||700||2/27/19||Radiation astronomy||21||Radiation astronomy resources||64|
|Earth||103||Earth as a liquid object||54||2/27/19||Mines and earth sciences||18||Repellor vehicles||7|
|Earth||103||Earth as a rocky object||30||2/27/19||Mineralogy||20||Geology resources||53|
|Earth||103||Geognosy||83||2/27/19||Physical sciences||97||Principles of radiation astronomy||40|
|Earth||103||Keynote lectures/Earth||127||2/27/19||Science||2,382||Astronomy resources||12|
|Earth||103||Natural electric field of the Earth||828||2/27/19||Astrophysics||482||Geology resources||53|
|Minerals||77||Keynote lectures/Minerals||47||2/27/19||Mineralogy||20||Geology resources||53|
|Minerals||77||Minerals/Metals/Body-centered cubics||97||2/27/19||Mineralogy||20||Geology resources||53|
Note: hits on the templates are the templates themselves not clicks on resources within those templates for specific pages.
- Announced on Main Page News.
- The Portal:Science has the highest hits for the month ending 2/27/19, which suggests trickle down to the rest including the landing pages.
- The page Science, 93 hits, redirects to Portal:Science.
- Seventeen of the 24 subpages of Minerals have hits ≤ 77.
Hypotheses[edit | edit source]
- Landing pages are not keynote lectures.
- Landing pages are not lectures.
- Landing pages should trickle down hits to subordinate resources.
- Science majors (students) don't want chunking of information.
References[edit | edit source]
- WikiPedant (22 December 2007). "lecture". San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. Retrieved 2016-05-31.
- Keffy (11 February 2006). "keynote". San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- Rje (15 October 2005). "exposition". San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- Dan Polansky (5 June 2008). "exposition". San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- Eroica (26 November 2010). "exposition". San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- Hekaheka (22 April 2007). "lesson". San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- Equinox (23 June 2013). "lesson". San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- DCDuring (23 April 2010). "landing page". San Francisco, California: Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- Robert F. Breedlove (1996). "Web Programming Unleashed". Indianapolis: Sams.net. p. 910. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Richard Gay (2007). "Online marketing: a customer-led approach". Online marketing. p. 294. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Susan Sweeney (2008). "101 Ways to Promote Your Tourism Business Web Site". Tourism. p. 104. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Shari Thurow (2009). "When Search Meets Web Usability". Usability. p. 71. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Perry S. Marshall (2010). Ultimate Guide to Google Ad Words. Google. p. 110. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- seo (15 July 2016). Search Engine Optimization Terminology. Znet. Retrieved 2016-09-28.
- marketing-dictionary. Landing Page. Marketing dictionary. Retrieved October 13, 2017.
- Tim Ash (2002). Landing Page Optimization: The Definitive Guide to Testing and Tuning for Conversions. Wiley Publishing. ISBN 0-470-17462-5.
- Omniconvert (17 August 2016). The History Of Landing Pages - Omniconvert Blog. Omniconvert. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- David Ogilvy (2017). The Best Selling Headline Of David Ogilvy's Copywriting Career (and 7 others!) - Word-of-Mouth and Referral Marketing Blog. Visakan Veerasamy blog editor at ReferralCandy. Retrieved 2017-03-31.
- The Financial Brand (5 January 2017). Increase Conversions By Maximizing Your Website Landing Pages, In: The Financial Brand. The Financial Brand. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- conversion. Conversion Tracking in AdWords: Complete Guide. Wordstream. Retrieved 2017-03-31.