Digital Media Concepts/The Witcher (Game Series)
The Witcher is a action role-playing game developed and published by CD Projekt Red. The game is based on fantasy novels, The Witcher, by Andrzej Sapkowski. There are as series of 3 games; The Witcher (2007), The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (2011), and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015).
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Players control Geralt of Rivia, a mutated human made to hunt monsters known as a Witcher. Geralt can walk, run, and also ride a horse that has been with him since the first game, called Roach. As a Witcher, he will be caring around two swords, a silver and a steel sword. Since he is a mutated human he is not welcomed within society, which is why he is caring the steel sword to kill humans, and the silver sword is solely for the purpose of killing monsters. In the game you battle many of the world's dangers using weapons, such as swords, magic, crossbows, etc.. The game is based on an open world RPG, where you try to complete many of the worlds quests, being main quest in order to progress the main story line, to completing side quests to acquire experience points. The game also allows to have many different ending based on the players choices and failure to complete quests. When playing as Geralt you have access to 5 magic spells; Aard, Yrden, Quen, Axii, and Igni. Aard is a spell that allows Geralt to send a telekinetic blast of energy that will stagger and push opponents based on the level of the skill. Yrden is a magical trap that is able to slow enemies who enter the vicinity of the magical range, based on he level it can also cause damage to enemies. Quen, is one of the more essential magics that you are able to use. When quen is being used you are able to cast a protective shield that is able to absorb damage cause from enemies for a total of 5% of the your maximum health. Axii, can charm or control and opponent's mind, which can temporarily unable to participate in combat. Igni is a magic that can be use to direct a fiery blast that can damage a n enemy and set them on fire. In the game you are able to kill wondering monsters that are not part of the main quest or side quest, that can drop loot, and that is one of the min parts of hunting the monters. Within the gmae there are tone statutes that can give you power up and skill point where you are able to power up one of the many magical skills that you have.
Bestiary/Monsters[edit | edit source]
The bestiary is a book that was implemented in the game that contain information on different types of creatures that is included in the game and that you are able to kill or hunt. The book contains the different types of subspecies and also contains the information that is needed to kill a creature easier, their weaknesses.
Beasts: is the collective term for any and all non-magical creatures.
- Panthers (DLC)
- The Beast of Beauclair (DLC)
- Three Little Pigs (DLC)
- Wild Boars (DLC)
Cursed Ones: are a class of monsters that are usually created based on a curse, often human but not necessarily.
- Archespores (DLC)
- The Toad Prince (DLC)
Characters[edit | edit source]
Geralt of Rivia
Geralt is a witcher, which is a mutated human made for hunting monsters, and has been trained since childhood to be a warrior. He is skilled in combat, tracking, and magic. Through the ingestion of of mutagens they made witchers stronger, faster, and resistant to toxic alchemy. Geralt is part of the Wolf clan, which resides on Kaer Morhen, of witchers and is also known as the White Wolf. He is also tied with Yennefer of Vengenberg, which was his past lover. He is also tied in with Ciri, a child he acquired when he was given the right by the law of surprise.
Triss is a sorceress and a friend of Geralt and Yennefer. She took care of Ciri for some time and be came like a sister to her. She is also a member of the Lodge of Sorceresses which include some of the strongest sorceresses in the continent. Triss is also in love with Geralt, but is more like a one sided love.
Ciri (Cirilla of Cintra)
Ciri is a member of the royal family on the kingdom of Cintra. The kingdom of Cintra is a one of many Northern Kingdoms on the continent. Ciri has been given to Geralt by the Law of Surprise, which is something that witchers do when someone owes them a life debt. The Law of surprise is based on the debtor giving the witcher something they find at home that they didn't not expect, in this case the debtor was ciri's father not knowing about ciri's existence.
Yennefer of Vengerberg
Yennefer was born with a congenital hunchback, she faced a lot of discrimination and abuse by her father, to the point where she was sold to the elder sorceress Tissaia de Vries. She is also the youngest wizard to be admitted to the Council of Sorcerers. Is also life bonded with Geralt at one point due to a wish that Geralt made to a djinn, or a genie.
Awards and Nominations[edit | edit source]
|Date||Award||Category||Recipient(s) and Nominee(s)||Results||Ref.|
|2013||31st Golden Joystick Awards||Most Wanted||The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt||Won|||
|2014||32nd Golden Joystick Awards||Won|||
|The Game Awards 2014||Most Anticipated Game||Won|||
|2015||33rd Golden Joystick Awards||Game of the Year||Won|||
|Best Gaming Movement||Won|||
|Best Visual Design||Won|||
|The Game Awards 2015||Game of the Year||The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt||Won|||
|Best Art Direction||Nominated|||
|2016||16th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards||Game of the Year||The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt||Won|||
References[edit | edit source]
- "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Magical Signs Guide". GameSpot. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Tips For Playing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt". Kotaku. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "The Witcher 3 bestiary". Witcher Wiki. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- Fenlon, Wes (2015-05-18). "The Witcher 3 story primer: catch up on the essentials". PC Gamer. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Everything You Should Know About 'The Witcher's' Ciri". Geek.com. 2019-12-29. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "The Witcher: 15 Things You Didn't Know About Ciri". TheGamer. 2020-02-12. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "What You Should Know About Yennefer in 'The Witcher'". Geek.com. 2020-01-06. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Yennefer of Vengerberg (Character)". Giant Bomb. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- October 2013, GamesRadar Staff 25. "Here are your Golden Joystick Award winners 2013". gamesradar. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- October 2014, Connor Sheridan 24. "The winners and trailers of the 32nd Golden Joystick Awards". gamesradar. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- Sarkar, Samit (2014-12-05). "Here are the winners of The Game Awards 2014". Polygon. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- October 2015, Leon Hurley 30. "The Golden Joystick Awards: all the winners this year". gamesradar. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- Sarkar, Samit (2015-12-03). "Here are the winners of The Game Awards 2015". Polygon. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- Sarkar, Samit (2015-11-13). "Here are the nominees for The Game Awards 2015". Polygon. Retrieved 2020-03-10.