Wikiversity:Candidates for Custodianship
Please add your request for custodianship (or other staff positions) below. Include a short summary of why you think you should be given the privileges and please refer to your involvement in other Wikimedia projects. If you have sysop/bureaucrat status at a sister project, please indicate so as well.
In a wiki, trust arises from good editing of webpages and "good editing" is what advances the project. If you have a record of good editing then you are likely to be trusted and be granted the tools to protect pages from vandalism and block vandals and delete useless pages. Having those tools really just means you have to do more work -dull and boring work- for the community.
All candidates should please place their requests or nominations on a subpage and transclude it here.
Requests and Nominations for Probationary Custodianship 
Hello, following Draicone's suggestion, I would like to request custodianship. I'm an administrator on my home wiki, the Dutch Wikipedia (since October 2010), and on Meta (since August 2011). My contributions on this project focus mainly on countervandalism. If I may, I would like to have Draicone as a mentor and - furthermore - I agree with the standard stop agreement. Kind regards, Mathonius 11:51, 17 September 2011 (UTC)
- Mathonius is relatively new to Wikiversity, but he has already assisted with the routine vandalism through SWMT, and with his background as a sysop I'm sure he'll be able to make a strong contribution to the custodian side of the project. --Draicone (talk) 15:19, 17 September 2011 (UTC)
Custodians willing to mentor 
Probationary custodian period started 
Ruy Pugliesi (talk | email | contribs | 
I am applying for probationary custodianship on enwikiversity. My contributions mainly focus on countervandalism work over here.
I am already experienced with administrative tools on Meta-Wiki (where I am mostly active) and on other content and non-content projects, like ptwiki, hiwiki, mediawiki, testwiki and strategywiki. I'm also a global rollbacker.
If I may, I would like to have SB Johhny as a mentor. =D
- In what ways do you consider your administrative experience at Meta-Wiki to benefit participants at Wikiversity?
- As a cross-wiki vandal/spam fighter and a sysop on several projects, I think I have enough administrative experience for dealing with vandals and other maintenance activities. I have learned from my experience as a SWMT member how to establish a appropriate course of action in a great variety of situations. Ruy Pugliesi◥ 15:44, 24 October 2011 (UTC)
- What do you consider appropriate actions for vandalism at Wikiversity?
- First of all, we should leave the vandal a warning message and let him aware of to what policies he is not following. Otherwise, further violations may incur a block. Ruy Pugliesi◥ 15:44, 24 October 2011 (UTC)
- Would you mind starting a blog? If not, why? What do you think about tasks for custodians as mentioned here?
- Seems to be interesting. However, I think I wouldn't have enough time to concentrate my efforts in such kind of activity due to my cross-wiki work over all Wikimedia projects. Ruy Pugliesi◥ 13:39, 25 October 2011 (UTC)
- Which learning project/resource do you like at Wikiversity?
- Mainly Computer Science, Communication Technologies and Linguistics. Ruy Pugliesi◥ 13:39, 25 October 2011 (UTC)
- Which one do you want to improve with your contributions?
- Possibly Linguistics and Computer Science. However, as I said above, my contributions mainly focus on countervandalism work and other administrative tasks. Thanks for your questions. Ruy Pugliesi◥ 13:39, 25 October 2011 (UTC)
- How do you redirect a vandal's energy and enthusiasm?
- How do you transform a vandal into someone that creates and participates in courses?
- Do you think volunteering to be a mentor for vandals would be a good use of your time?
- Answers (1, 2 and 3):
- Redirecting a vandal's energy and enthusiasm is something hard to do, but it's not impossible at all. Sometimes, vandals represent the "dark side" of good faith editors who became disappointed with things that occured a long time ago. I venture say that "mentoring" may be the key word here. We can always show them how interesting a wiki can be by bringing up unexplored things to do in a project.
- Can I think of volunteering to be a mentor for vandals? Maybe. I am already experienced with mentoring a reformed vandal/sockpuppeter on Portuguese Wikipedia. He actually did some positive contributions after my mentorship. I think that everybody should be given a second chance to become a positive contributor and edit freely. Thanks for your questions. Ruy Pugliesi◥ 13:39, 25 October 2011 (UTC)
Custodians willing to mentor 
Probationary custodian period started 
Sidelight12 (talk | email | contribs | 
Hi. I want to import pages, and edit histories from other wikis, that are written as guides. In the case where an article was copied and pasted with no further effort to that page, and it is not practical to be fixed, I intend to bring it to attention by clearing the page. I want to be useful to other editors who want to import pages, and to improve Wikiversity. I do an organized job and plan to of keeping account that page histories and information gets kept. Thanks. Sidelight12 Talk 10:30, 18 December 2012 (UTC)
Hi Sidelight12, thanks for your useful work already on en.wv (over 750 edits). I think those edits indicate already a good knowledge of Wikiversity admin and MediaWiki, with a growing understanding and participation in the en.wv community, so I am confident that you would make good use of import, delete etc. Could you tell us a bit more about what sorts of material and from where you are thinking of importing - e.g., perhaps there are some categories? Sincerely, James -- Jtneill - Talk - c 00:52, 21 December 2012 (UTC)
- There were horticulture articles, that I wanted to bring over. For instance w:houseplant care to 'indoor plant lighting requirements'; histories or materials for grafting and plant propagation, for instance w:willow Water. Something from w:tree shaping and w:pruning to be linked to from the bonsai article. Article content I would like to import is with math, science, environmental, human development and small scale building projects/activities. There are articles already pasted over, that lack the edit history, if these are practical to Wikiversity with consideration of if enough effort was made to document that it was copied over, I plan to bring the histories over. Articles with little how-to substance are better rewritten, than being imported, in my opinion. I will refuse to bring over distasteful or potentially harmful materials. If necessary, I plan to document on the talk pages, so future authors would have an easier time editing and keeping track. If an editor makes a request, I will have to leave it to them that the information is accurate, especially of a subject that I have little knowledge of. (<750 edits) Sidelight12 Talk 09:30, 21 December 2012 (UTC)
- I believe Sidelight12 is a good candidate.--Collingwood (talk) 16:39, 21 December 2012 (UTC)
- Thank you. -- Sidelight12 Talk 13:53, 22 December 2012 (UTC)
Custodians willing to mentor 
Dave Braunschweig (talk | email | contribs | 
I'd like to nominate Dave Braunschweig for probationary custodianship. Dave has been contributing significantly to main space learning materials and has been an active contributor to the Colloquium and Wikiversity space discussions, as well being an experienced educator and IT expert. -- Jtneill - Talk - c 11:34, 4 February 2013 (UTC)
As I mentioned to James, if he's willing to nominate and mentor me, and the community is willing to have me, I'd be honored to support Wikiversity as a probationary custodian. I'm relatively new to the community, having only been active since October 2012. However, I've been quite active since then with a complete course developed and a variety of other edits, including several templates.
My "real-world" students have indicated that they prefer the Wikiversity course format to the textbook series they were using previously, and their mastery of the material is better so far with Wikiversity than with the equivalent textbook material. So, I'm now a strong advocate for Wikiversity. The best example of my approach to course development can be found at Introduction to Open Educational Resources, something I wrote to help encourage fellow educators to develop OER. I would sum up the approach as: Use existing resources where possible and provide active learning opportunities to help learners master and apply the concepts.
In terms of agenda as a Custodian, I don't have one other than to help support the community. But I do have several decades of experience supporting computer systems and users. If you review some of the discussion threads I've participated in, you'll find I'm big on a consensus approach to Wikiversity. And being a relative newcomer myself, I'm sensitive to those just getting started, and thankful that no one bit me when I made some of my first edits.
I'm sure I still have a lot to learn, but if approved, I'll do my best to help out where I can.
Custodians willing to mentor 
I want to become custodian and bureaucrat because I have improved Wikiversity a lot and I want to improve it more by becoming a custodian. I have helped WIkiversity by moving pages and improving by making it better. I really want to become a custodian or bureaucrat for Wikiversity. Please nominate me to be a custodian or bureaucrat!
- Welcome back to Wikiversity! I encourage you to continue to participate as a regular user for now, and apply for custodian again in the future when you have more fully demonstrated your skills and approach to the project. There's plenty of good work to be done that does not require custodian rights. -- Dave Braunschweig (discuss • contribs) 18:35, 18 May 2013 (UTC)
- I may start doing my "custodian journey" in a few weeks or even just a few months? Happy Wishes ---Dong! by Draubb (Discussion • Contributions)
Is it okay for me to request custodianship in a later time ---Dong! by Draubb
Questions for Bureaucrat Nomination 
Comments or Answers 
Yes, I would recommend becoming involved with the community and helping where you can. Even better than nominating yourself is to wait for someone else to recognize your efforts and have them nominate you. I don't know if there's a typical custodian, but many of them have thousands of Wikiversity edits. Others have thousands of edits and are not (or not yet) custodians. Just volunteer where your interests lead you and see how things go. -- Dave Braunschweig (discuss • contribs) 21:18, 18 May 2013 (UTC)
I think custodians need to be friendly, knowledgeable about what Wikiversity is and isn't, able to offer constructive criticism that helps a person be able to contribute successfully to Wikiversity, and know how to use the wiki.
I think comments like page is useless and harms Wikiversity are unfriendly and do not help people contribute successfully to Wikiversity. I think comments focusing instead on what you think is needed to make pages useful and beneficial to Wikiversity would be constructive and would help provide some insight into what you think Wikiversity is and isn't. I think you have made some immature comments which suggests you are either intentionally trying to provoke people or have been using Wikiversity under multiple accounts. Will you allow a checkuser to check and verify what user accounts you may have been using at Wikiversity? Custodians should not provoke or vandalize Wikiversity.
I cannot make sense of some page moves and which appear only to create addition work for custodians. I haven't been able to find any discussions to suggest some page moves from user space to resource space was what the user wanted.
I think some changes, like undoing a speedy deletion request suggests you do not understand what Wikiversity is and isn't, or you do not understand how to use the mediawiki software.
I think overall you need to focus on contributing learning/teaching resources to Wikiversity. I think so far the majority of your contributions to Wikiversity have created more busy work for people rather than aided Wikiversity's mission. -- darklama 13:40, 19 May 2013 (UTC)
- Darklama, I am very sorry for causing interruptions and pain to Wikiversity. I am very sorry for showing disruptions. Darklama, Please , assist me please to my problem. Sorry about the disruption, but you should have just said all those embarrassing comments at my talk page. Draubb (discuss • contribs) 22:11, 19 May 2013 (UTC)
- Draubb, I again encourage you to step back from this request. When you request custodian status, you immediately open yourself up to public review of your activities. The discussion is not limited to your talk page if you seek to represent all of us. If you are, as you say, a purified and function[al] user capable of being trusted, show it through months of positive contributions rather than a few days of somewhat questionable efforts. -- Dave Braunschweig (discuss • contribs) 03:33, 20 May 2013 (UTC)
Hello, my name is Yingshong, I am the brother of Draubb, Hello and I know Draubb is a very purified and generous user. I support him, I want him to become custodian. Draubb, please reply below! Yingshong (discuss • contribs) 00:33, 20 May 2013 (UTC)
- I am Hommbo, I support this Wikiversity and I am a cousin of Yingshong (Akmal) and Draubb (Aaqib). I know Draubb is a mature user and I will support Draubb threw his "custodian journey" process. Hommbo (discuss • contribs) 00:37, 20 May 2013 (UTC)
- I did not make this accounts myself, these are my cousin and brothers account. Do you really think I will trash this Wiki. But Dave Braunschweig says that I have to "hold it back". And I will, I will leave this alone for nearly around three-five weeks. But anybody can chat on this page just to discuss anything about me and this custodian "madness". I am not being immature, I am just saying that I will rest this case. But anybody can chat on here or encourage me to become custodian. Feel free to chat! Draubb (discuss • contribs) 20:33, 20 May 2013 (UTC)
Because I wanted to be a custodian or bureaucrat, I state that this discussion over me becoming a custodian will be covered, rested and unactive (well you can chat, but discussing me as a custodian will be unactive). The process of me becoming a custodian is a little complicating, because I was the one who requested custodianship. I have the right to rest this case. I demand this discussion and the process of me becoming a custodian over. Around June-August we might begin discussion! Thank you for respecting this comment! Thx! Draubb (discuss • contribs) 20:52, 20 May 2013 (UTC)
- To be honest, I haven't seen any actions by you that make me feel positive towards you having access to things like Custodianship. Your edit history is very suspicious. Ottava Rima (talk) 02:29, 21 May 2013 (UTC)
Nominations for Full Custodianship 
CheckUsers are required to follow Wikimedia Foundation's CheckUser policy, including requirements for gaining access to the checkuser tools.
None at present.
Nominations for Bureaucratship 
See also 
- Candidates for Custodianship/Archive of nominations for full custodianship
- Candidates for Custodianship/Archived - archive of failed nominations
- Candidates for Bureaucratship/Archive of pending nominations
- Custodian requests
- List of custodian mentors
- List of probationary custodians
- Wikiversity:Support staff