Wikiversity:Notices for custodians
This page is a central location for communication between custodians.
- Join us on irc channel #wikiversity-en or on skype to coordinate activities in real time.
- View recent changes in real time on irc channel #en.wikiversity.
- Request pages be imported.
- Please look at Special:Unwatchedpages and add some pages that are of interest to you to your watch list.
- Please review the archives for past discussions.
- See also: Wikiversity:Request custodian action
Request to retain custodian status
Hi all, I've received a notice on my talk page, as I'm a custodian with a low level of activity this wiki. As a bit of background, although it's been proposed, there has not yet been a consensus on adopting a local policy on custodian activity. I remain active within the Wikimedia movement, particularly in chapter work, and would like to request some confirmation from my fellow support staff on whether there are any concerns with me maintaining this user flag. I believe that there is value in being able to offer real-world support for educators who are trying out Wikiversity in their institution, and my future involvement with the project is likely to be along these lines. --Michael Billington (talk • contribs) 11:01, 3 December 2014 (UTC)
- I have a mixed perspective. As a network administrator myself, I start with the principle of least privilege. Users who don't have any intention of acting as custodians don't need to be custodians. On the other hand, there is little to no risk to this project in having trusted individuals with the ability to block and delete, even if they don't use it. You've done good work at Wikiversity in the past, and I don't have any concerns with you maintaining the flag.
- That said, I have been frustrated at times over the past year that those with custodian rights haven't stepped up / stepped in when their trust and experience could have quickly resolved issues that instead had weeks of pointless debate as others waited for support that never came. I realize that's been an ongoing issue at Wikiversity, exemplified in part by the very discussion you noted. Perhaps it's the nature of wiki communities in general, but it is frustrating none the less.
- It would seem that the easiest way for you to address the notice yourself would be to engage in some custodial activity, even briefly, to show you are still interested in being a custodian. -- Dave Braunschweig (discuss • contribs) 14:31, 3 December 2014 (UTC)
- Hi Michael, good to hear from you, how've you been? I think you probably became "active" by the stewards' definition when you made the post above. --SB_Johnny talk 14:59, 7 December 2014 (UTC)
- I've been doing alright (As you can see, I do still log in ;) ). As there does seem to be a bit of a process to this, I will still post on the relevant page to let the stewards know that I intend on sticking around, as I fully expect to be getting back to some custodial activity in the new year. --Michael Billington (talk • contribs) 04:49, 19 December 2014 (UTC)
FYI, 184.108.40.206, also known as Boxingfella, Boxingfella2, and other aliases has begun harassing users at Wikiversity. He has a longstanding feud with a Wikipedia sysop that has spilled over here. In addition, he is now harassing Wikiversity custodians (at least me) with password resets. -- Dave Braunschweig (discuss • contribs) 22:28, 31 December 2014 (UTC)