Wikiversity:Candidates for Custodianship/Ruy Pugliesi
Ruy Pugliesi (talk | email | contribs | 
I am applying for probationary custodianship on enwikiversity. My contributions mainly focus on countervandalism work over here.
I am already experienced with administrative tools on Meta-Wiki (where I am mostly active) and on other content and non-content projects, like ptwiki, hiwiki, mediawiki, testwiki and strategywiki. I'm also a global rollbacker.
If I may, I would like to have SB Johhny as a mentor. =D
- In what ways do you consider your administrative experience at Meta-Wiki to benefit participants at Wikiversity?
- As a cross-wiki vandal/spam fighter and a sysop on several projects, I think I have enough administrative experience for dealing with vandals and other maintenance activities. I have learned from my experience as a SWMT member how to establish a appropriate course of action in a great variety of situations. Ruy Pugliesi◥ 15:44, 24 October 2011 (UTC)
- What do you consider appropriate actions for vandalism at Wikiversity?
- First of all, we should leave the vandal a warning message and let him aware of to what policies he is not following. Otherwise, further violations may incur a block. Ruy Pugliesi◥ 15:44, 24 October 2011 (UTC)
- Would you mind starting a blog? If not, why? What do you think about tasks for custodians as mentioned here?
- Seems to be interesting. However, I think I wouldn't have enough time to concentrate my efforts in such kind of activity due to my cross-wiki work over all Wikimedia projects. Ruy Pugliesi◥ 13:39, 25 October 2011 (UTC)
- Which learning project/resource do you like at Wikiversity?
- Mainly Computer Science, Communication Technologies and Linguistics. Ruy Pugliesi◥ 13:39, 25 October 2011 (UTC)
- Which one do you want to improve with your contributions?
- Possibly Linguistics and Computer Science. However, as I said above, my contributions mainly focus on countervandalism work and other administrative tasks. Thanks for your questions. Ruy Pugliesi◥ 13:39, 25 October 2011 (UTC)
- How do you redirect a vandal's energy and enthusiasm?
- How do you transform a vandal into someone that creates and participates in courses?
- Do you think volunteering to be a mentor for vandals would be a good use of your time?
- Answers (1, 2 and 3):
- Redirecting a vandal's energy and enthusiasm is something hard to do, but it's not impossible at all. Sometimes, vandals represent the "dark side" of good faith editors who became disappointed with things that occured a long time ago. I venture say that "mentoring" may be the key word here. We can always show them how interesting a wiki can be by bringing up unexplored things to do in a project.
- Can I think of volunteering to be a mentor for vandals? Maybe. I am already experienced with mentoring a reformed vandal/sockpuppeter on Portuguese Wikipedia. He actually did some positive contributions after my mentorship. I think that everybody should be given a second chance to become a positive contributor and edit freely. Thanks for your questions. Ruy Pugliesi◥ 13:39, 25 October 2011 (UTC)