User talk:Student Galaxy/Archive 1
Archived content, donks old.
Note to Custodians: If the archives are vandalised, only use rollback if the page is blanked, because obvious vandalism is sometimes not effected.
Do people vandalise like Wikipedia?
- Yes, but since this wiki is small, it shows up easier on the recent changes and is corrected quicker, and happens less.
How do I contribute to learning?
- We are in the beta phase, so there isn't much here yet, but if you know something you can start creating material (lectures/tests/assignments) in a certain area. You can also sign up to be a student or a participant in one of the learning projects.
How do I get in with the community?
- The community is scattered all over the place, on the Colloquium and the talk pages, on the email list and the IRC chat. Normally we have a user give out these welcome templates, which give a good introduction, here:
Message 2 Received... 
Yes, there is lots of room for improvement here. Note: Lecture just means a classroom lesson where the teacher talks and the students listen (as compared to a lab class where students get to actually do something.) Robert Elliott 11:28, 26 November 2006 (UTC)
Remarkable. What position in the field do you play? I am not very good at controlling the ball, but last time I effectively froze the best player of the opposite team; he couldn't get his foot on the ball until the end of the match. Are you going to host football research here? ----Hillgentleman|User talk 12:44, 26 November 2006 (UTC)
I'm very excited about your eagerness to be part of Wikiversity. However, in regards to your candidacy for custodianship, I've noticed that you've been active for just one day. Are you sure that after this short period of time you know for sure you'll stay and continue contributing to the project? sebmol ? 17:21, 26 November 2006 (UTC)
- (moved from my talk page)
- i'll be fine as a higher part of Wikiversity. I have an account on Wikipedia, which I've had for two months, and I can manage everything quite well. I'm good at catching vandals creating articles, and uploading files. I can manage being a higher authority, but its the vote that depends. Student Galaxy 17:24, 26 November 2006 (UTC)
I' am strong willed. I do not leave what I begin. I want to stay with Wikiversity for around a year. Then I'll see what happens. I' am a good strong leader. I would do well as a Custodian.(The preceding unsigned comment was added by Student Galaxy (talk • contribs) .)
So what do you think of my articles. I haven't finished them yet. But I will be improving them. Student Galaxy 17:35, 26 November 2006 (UTC)
My list of created articles
- I' am entitled to a break you know. I don't spend my whole life here. I went away for a 20 minute break. But now I'm back. It seems that two users are making all the edits. Me and this other guy. What are the rest doing then??
- Student Galaxy 19:34, 26 November 2006 (UTC)
- Relax, it wasn't meant as an attack. I just saw that you wrote not to bother leaving any messages which seemed to imply you wouldn't return. As to where all the other users are: it's Sunday. They're around but please remember that this project isn't nearly as active as most others. Take a look at the recent changes of the last week or so to get an idea of the level of activity we have. sebmol ? 19:37, 26 November 2006 (UTC)
Ok then, its fine. I have a times policy on my user page. It shows all the estimated times I should be around. I'll hardlys be around on weekdays. Just the evenings. Student Galaxy 19:38, 26 November 2006 (UTC)
(reply to his comment on my talk page)
Well, my bigest reccomendation is wait a while. There is pretty much noting you can do, you've got on the rollarcoster, so now you just have to follow the ride. Good luck tho.
Thanksgiving Holiday 
- Reminder - Today is a holiday
- Thanksgiving holiday in the USA was last Thursday through today. That is probably why no one in the USA is on line today.
- I have reformatted your page on Football (soccer). You can change it back if you do not like it. Robert Elliott 27 November 2006 (UTC)
I see you have uploaded two files to Wikiversity. You have added a free license, that's good. Could you please also use the description template to give all the information? I'm talking about Image:Soccer ball.JPG and Image:UFO.JPG. Please add the Template:Information to give some additional info such as the software you've used to create them, etc. As you have created them, could you please also import them again under the same name but with a larger resolution? They are hardly useful at the current size.
Thanks a lot. guillom 16:01, 27 November 2006 (UTC)
- Hello. I don't intend to delete them at all (unless you tell me you are not the author). guillom 13:10, 29 November 2006 (UTC)
"Thank you for commenting to my UFO research page, that is exactly what we need on wikiversity, the people's views on the research." <-- I hope to eventually create a Wikiversity page about directed panspermia. --JWSchmidt 23:22, 4 December 2006 (UTC)
Greetings, Student Galaxy. Looking at the two topics you have been working on (UFO's and Football (soccer), they have been done quite well. I added some redirects so that when "UFO" or "UFOs" is typed in the seach field here on Wikiversity, it will come directly to your page on UFO research. JBogdan 17:31, 10 December 2006 (UTC)
Thanks for the warm welcome, Student Galaxy. I think we'll have to collab. on a few space research topics in the future! NehpestTheFirst 16:36, 14 December 2006 (UTC)
Post your messages under here 
Notice The comments on this page may at times, contain abusive comments, spamming and trolling by any particular user. If you see this please revert it.
Note: Dicussions on this page which are over a month old are Archived. Please see these archives for past dicussions.
User talk: Student Galaxy/Archive 1
"you let the user do 20 harmful edits before blocking them" <-- The goal is to eventually have enough Wikiversity custodians so that someone is always "on duty" to block vandals. In an emergency, you can try going to IRC channel #wikimedia-stewards. Stewards can do blocks of vandals on all the projects. If you are still interested is being a Wikiversity custodian, I suggest leaving your name at Wikiversity:Candidates for Custodianship. I do not see the point of an arbitrary one week deadline for removal to Wikiversity:Candidates for Custodianship/Archived. --JWSchmidt 20:24, 28 December 2006 (UTC)
What should we do? Elatanatari 21:53, 28 December 2006 (UTC)
- "perform a checkuser" <-- I'm not sure what good this would do. For now we can block any IP address that this vandal uses. Potentially, if the problem continues, we could get more serious. --JWSchmidt 17:31, 29 December 2006 (UTC)
Your barnstar question... 
It is difficult to say if the picture of the "Barn Star" can be used legally. In the history of the barn star artwork, there is no mention of the source of the original photograph.
- Note, the picture that you are using is of a "timber washer" in the shape of a star, not a decorative barn star. I saw (and fixed) an error in the history of the use of barn star timber washers so I know that the author claiming to have created the artwork is not familiar with original purpose and use of timber washers which is why I doubt that he is source of the original photograph. Robert Elliott 12:18, 31 December 2006 (UTC)
Thanks for the barnstar! --JWSchmidt 14:55, 31 December 2006 (UTC)
Back in August when Wikiversity was started, Cormaggio was made the first bureaucrat and he quickly nominated several other people for bureaucratship. Wikiversity now has two bureaucrats and not much work for them to do....there really is not a need to make me a bureaucrat. I've been working on this project for a long time, so many people know me. Since that nomination has been up so long, many people have left comments. For custodian candidates, a history of good editing at Wikiversity is the best way to attract a custodian mentor. In your case, there was some previous discussion which was erased. --JWSchmidt 20:49, 31 December 2006 (UTC)
problems at wikiversity 
"interaction with other editors" <-- I'd be happy to help you develop UFO research and related pages at Wikiversity. I think it would be useful to start by creating a bibliography of relevant sources, starting with some Wikipedia articles. I think a reasonable strategy for attracting a community of collaborators is to make a good start on a few webpages for a topic and then create links to those pages from other websites. For example, if we made a Wikiversity article that was about people who are famous for their interest in UFOs (for example, Carl Sagan) then we could make links to Wikiversity from high-traffic pages like Carl Sagan and start to attract other editors who are interested in UFOs.
"I am often the ONLY wikiversity editor online" <-- It takes a certain vision and dedication to edit a new wiki. Editors who need instant gratification gravitate to Wikipedia where there are many editors. In my case, I feel restricted by Wikipedia's narrow focus. I think Wikiversity will eventually become a much more interesting wiki than Wikipedia.
"NOBODY has left a comment on my custodianship election page" <-- Many people edit wikis for years before they become sysops. New editors who show a lot of interest in being a sysop are often looked upon with suspicion. My advice is that you concentrate on good editing. If you show devotion to a wiki then people develop a trust in you and will ask you the be a custodian.
"watch vandals in horror....they destroy the project....there's nobody to stop them" <-- I know that can be frustrating, but you can always help by reverting vandalism and going to IRC chat channels to get help from sysops. Showing a willingness to pitch-in and help in that way also builds trust and increases your chances of eventually being a custodian. --JWSchmidt 17:23, 6 January 2007 (UTC)
- Yes, I fully endorse John's comment above. I hope you stick around, Tom - have patience, and see what we can all turn Wikiversity into! :-) Cormaggio talk 17:30, 6 January 2007 (UTC)
- Wikiversity is a growing project, and we need your help! The project takes time to grow and expand, and it is not that you are the only editor, it is that the edit input is smaller than other Wikimedia projects. Vandalism is an issue on every project, not just Wikiversity, and you can always prevent vandalism by contacting a custodian. I suggest that you devote more time to Wikiversity, and you too will see what a marvelous project this is! -- J.Steinbock 22:03, 6 January 2007 (UTC)
Changing username? 
I'm not sure if John is around, but I may as well give you a speedy response. The account was renamed by Sebmol after I requested some username changes in order to help keep the user list in good check. (so that offensive usernames don't build up like they have on other projects and pollute the user list) Cheers. --Michael Billington (talk • contribs) 11:32, 13 January 2007 (UTC)
- Hi student galaxy,
I noticed your interest in UFOs and specifically the great UFO image on your user page. We need some good alien spacecraft wandering through our cisLunarFreighter game occasionally taking potshots or capturing and running off with cargo. I am going to use your image for storyboarding purposes for now. If this is a problem or you prefer that we use or find other images please let me know. If you have other GFDL'ed images we could use for variety it would be great of you could upload and link to them for us so our storyboarders, artists and prototype programmers can find them easily. Please drop me a message regarding your decision or preference. Thanks! Mirwin 03:51, 18 January 2007 (UTC)