Hello, Sluzzelin, and welcome to Wikimedia Demographics. This is a resource for studying the culture of Wikimedia, the cultural phenomenon of Wikimedia, and the hopes and aspirations of the Wikimedians themselves.
To participate, all that's required is to fill in the responses to the template that you will see when you edit this page. When you're done, you will see the results and further instructions.
To answer, hit the "edit" button at the top of this page (use a new window if you need to see the instructions while answering). If you don't have an opinion or don't want to respond to any particular question, leave the field after the "=" blank. If you've loaded the surveys in a package and some of the surveys don't apply to you, simply remove them from this page (from the opening brackets to the closing ones).
Two helpful hints for all surveys
- 1. When you take a survey, be sure to remove the "y" after "show instructions", as this will make the instruction boxes disappear and make your page less cluttered. You can always re-add the "y" if more questions are added or you want to change your responses.
- 2. If a survey doesn't apply to you or you have no intention of participating in it, just remove it from your survey page.
The first question in every survey asks if you want to show instructions. When you're done, just remove the "y" and the instructions will disappear.
The basic survey asks broad questions about who you are and how you participate in Wikimedia projects. Options for answering are as follows:
- For the next 10 questions, you will be asked about your level of involvement in the various Wikimedia wikis, rating your participation from 0-4.
- 4 = Your primary project, where you spend most of your energy as a contributor.
- 3 = Projects you regularly contribute to, though not as much as your primary
- 2 = Projects you occaisionally contribute to
- 1 = Projects you rarely contribute to
- 0 = Projects you don't contribute to, but do read and use
- leave blank if you neither use nor contribute to the project in question.
- For the next 2 questions (IRC and mailinglist usage), you will again be asked to rate your participation, this time from 1-4 (default does nothing)
- 4 = You regularly use, follow, or post on IRC or at least one of the Wikimedia mailinglists
- 3 = You occaisionaly use, follow, or post on IRC or at least one of the Wikimedia mailinglists
- 2 = You rarely use, follow, or post on IRC or at least one of the Wikimedia mailinglists
- 1 = You never use, follow, or post on IRC or at least one of the Wikimedia mailinglists
- Enter the four digit year when you made your first edit to a wikimedia project
- The next question asks whether you are an administrator on any Wikimedia project. Please answer "y" or "n" (default does nothing)
- Indicate your gender using "m" for male, "f" for female, and "t" for transgendered
- Indicate where you live in the world using:
- "ne" for the northeast quadrant (Europe, Asia, North Africa, etc.)
- "nw" for the northwest quadrant (North America, Carribean, etc.)
- "se" for the southeast quadrant (Africa, Australia, etc.)
- "sw" for the southwest quadrant (South America, etc.)
To see a list of other available surveys, remove the "y" from after "Show instructions ("y" shows instructions for the basic survey)"