This page outlines an open ended journey towards communication and language comprehension.
- Take an inventory of phonemes in the learner(s) native language(s).
- Pick 1 language to start, e.g. Japanese.
- Determine the second language for learning purposes.
- Identify overlapping phonemes in the languages.
- Is this what you're thinking?
- Practice vocabulary that consists primarily of phonemes from the overlapping set.
- Practice new phonemes to attain accurate articulation.
Patterns and Rhythms
Each class can explore a piece of poetry that is accessible to the learners' current proficiency while still being challenging and enjoyable.
Encourage learners to speak the language they have learned so far and to create spoken word poetry. There are no incorrect words or utterances in these poems, this is a generative and freeform excercise.