The University of Canberra National Institute of Sport Studies (UCNISS) provides programs of study, conducts research projects and implements community engagement activities in areas of sport coaching and exercise science as well as sport management and sport media. UCNISS (formerly the Centre of Sports Studies) was established in 1981, to coincide with the development of the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS). UCNISS offers study programs, conducts research projects, facilitates social networking and promotes graduate careers in a wide range of sport, recreation and health related fields. UCNISS runs undergraduate courses, postgraduate degrees and online programs and is a primary education provider for high performance athletes and coaches from the AIS and regional sports institutes. Study scholarships are available and students can complete part of their studies under exchange agreements with educational institutions in the United States, Canada and China. UCNISS Graduates commonly fill key professional positions in government agencies, the media and the sport industry both in Australia and overseas. UCNISS are developing an understanding and capacity to use social media (including Wikiversity) in teaching, research and community engagement.
- http://www.ucniss.net - news and recent activity
- UCNISS on Youtube
- UCNISS group on Slideshare
- UCNISS forum on Google Groups
UCNISS study highlights
- You will learn from experts who work with high profile sporting teams and organisations
- You have the opportunity to complete part of your degree overseas in high profile tertiary institutions
- You will work with elite sporting organisations through work based learning placements
- Sport Coaching & Exercise Science
- Sports Management
- Sports Media
- Sport Coaching & Exercise Science / Sports Management
- Sports Media / Laws
- Sport Coaching & Exercise Science / Human Nutrition
- Sports Management / Tourism
- Sport Coaching & Exercise Science / Psychology
- Sport Coaching & Exercise Science / Information Technology
Further study options
- Bachelor of Sport Studies (Honours)
- Graduate Certificate in Human Movement
- Masters of Sport Science (Research)
- Masters of Arts in Sport Studies (Research)
- Doctor of Philosophy
- Introduction to Sport Biomechanics
- Set up a professional blog and youtube channel
- Business, politics and sport
- Category:Exercise and metabolic disease
- Sport Performance Analysis
- Clinical Exercise Biomechanics
- Sport sponsorship and media
- Sport event management
- Introduction to Sport Coaching
- The sport workplace
- Assessment of Sport Coaching
- Physiology of Exercise 2
- Sport Strength and Conditioning
- Performance analysis in sport
- Introduction to Sport Psychology
- Applied Sport Biomechanics
- Social Media/Sport
- Category:Sport research
UCNISS offers tailored sport and exercise science services and has provided sports science testing services for individual athletes and teams from the ACT as well as national and international levels. UCNISS has an active consultancy program, and provides a high standard of services and resources for Australian and international organisations. Activities undertaken include:
- Conduct sports science testing and research for sporting organisations.
- Development of media profiles of Australian Olympic team members and for the Australian Olympic Committee.
- Research into the impact of altitude training on elite sport performance in conjunction with the Australian Institute of Sport.
- Lectures in the National Coaching Accreditation Scheme Level 1 to Level 3 awards.
- Preparation of development and/or marketing plans for sporting organisations.
- Conduct of national standard sports events for sports organisations.
- Preparation of media releases and information kits.
- Conduct of national and international conferences on sport.
- Operation of a sports injury assessment program for athletes, in co-operation with medical practitioners and physiotherapists.
- The History of the Paralympic Movement in Australia
- The Journal of Sport and Exercise Studies
- UCNISS/Research policy
- UCNISS/Women and children's sport research centre proposal
- ACT Physical Activity & Facilities Project
- User:Leighblackall/UCNISS Study tours
- User:Benrattray/Bike vs Brain
|Staff member||UCNISS role||Personal blog|
|Keith Lyons||Director of University of Canberra National Institute of Sport Studies||Keith Lyons|
|Kevin Thompson||Head of Sport Studies|
|Sandy Daley||Course Convenor for Sports Media|
|John Dodd||Course Convenor for Sports Management|
|Keane Wheeler||Course Convenor for Sport Coaching and Exercise Science||Keane Wheeler|
|Nick Ball||Course Convenor for Masters of Sports Science (Research)||Nick Ball|
|Disa Smee||Human Growth and Development|
|Lennon Wicks||Clinical Exercise Physiology|
|Naroa Etxebarria||Biochemistry of Exercise|
|Ben Rattray||Exercise Physiology||Ben Rattray|
|Kate Pumpa||Exercise Physiology|
|Julie Cooke||Human Anatomy|
|Terry Moston||Sport Psychology|
|Patti Denham-Mason||Human Anatomy|