Topic:Southeast Asian history
|Please share you thoughts about whether to merge this page with Topic:Asian history.|
Welcome to the Department of Southeast Asian History, part of the School of History.
The Department of Southeast Asian History is established to educate the general public about the History of the Southeast Asian countries. We welcome anyone who is interested in this discipline to join us, either as a student or as a facilitator. Our Department will review the curriculums of similar Departments in other influential universities to offer a more balanced perspective of historical events and issues.
In the Department of Southeast Asian History, we subscribe to two important education principles:
- Depth and breadth
Firstly, sound education policies involve a balanced combination of depth and breadth. Secondly, students, as mature learners, will be given flexibility and choice to select their modules. However, certain requirements for graduation have to be met and students must practise self-responsibility to graduate.
Modules currently being offered by the Department of Southeast Asian History:
General Modules 
- GM0001 Archaeology in Southeast Asia
- GM0002 Integration of Southeast Asia
- GM0003 Prehistory of Southeast Asia
- GM0004 Southeast Asia in the Global Context
- GM0005 Southeast Asian Islam in Historical Context
- GM0006 Historiography of Southeast Asia
- GM0007 Nationalism in Southeast Asia
- GM0008 Women in Southeast Asian Societies
- GM0009 Comparative Southeast Asia: The Eleven Governments
- GM0010 ASEAN: After the 1997 Financial Crisis
History of Indonesia 
History of Malaysia 
History of the Philippines 
- PH001 The Philippines: Pre-1521
- PH002 The Colonial Crisis
- PH003 Towards Philippine Nationhood
- PH005 Philippines Today: A Fragile Democracy (From EDSA to Gloria)
History of Singapore 
Examination Boards Modules 
- EB0001 Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board - GCE Ordinary Level History
- EB0002 Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board - GCE Advanced Level History
- EB0003 Cambridge International Examinations - GCE Ordinary Level History
- EB0004 Cambridge International Examinations - GCE Advanced Level History
Special Interest Modules 
Planned Modules 
- History of Brunei
- History of Indo-China
- History of Malaya
- History of Myanmar
- History of the Philippines
- History of Indonesia & Timor-Leste
- History of Thailand
- History of Cambodia
Requested Modules 
These are topics that have been requested and are considered high priority for the Department. Please start or expand these projects if you are familiar with the subject matter!
Department news 
- 15 December 2006 - Department founded!
Degree Structure 
To gain a Southeast Degree, there are two sets of requirements and 1 set of procedures. Please also see the Wikiversity FAQ regarding degrees.
Basic Requirements 
To fulfill the basic requirements, students must have taken 15 modules, with at least 3 modules being General Modules and another 8 modules being Major modules. A Major refers to the field of Southeast Asian History that a student wants to specialise in (e.g.History of Malaysia). Students must take at least 2 Majors. Students can take any number of Minors (i.e. a field that is not taken as Major).
Performance Requirements 
Students must choose 15-20 modules in fulfillment of the Degree's requirements. Students who score an average of 80% and above can graduate with 1st Class Honours. Students who score an average of 70% and above can graduate with 2nd Class Honours. Students who score an average of 60% and above can graduate with 3st Class Honours. Students who score an average of 50% and above can graduate with Pass.
To qualify for the Degree, you must make a public request under the Department News section, stating your user name and the modules that you wish to be taken for computation. The results of your application will be announced by the Department Facilitator at the same place and your username will then be reflected in the Graduates' Hall of Fame. Before the Department Facilitator makes a decision, he or she will first consult the Module Facilitators (for the modules you have chosen to be taken into account in the computation process) regarding your performance in those modules. Please take note that only modules commenced within one year from the date of public request for a Degree will be taken into account in the computation process.
List of students and contributors 
Please list your name here if you are into this community!
Graduates' Hall of Fame 
- (Start working for a place here!)
School announcements 
- June 20, 2011
- United States History will begin
- June 20, 2011
- Human Legacy Course will begin
- Aug 24, 2010
- Reorganization underway.
- Jun 16, 2010
- History of the Ottoman Empire Course has started.
- May 15, 2010
- Military History Department founded.
Related Schools & Departments 
- School of History
- Department of European History
- Department of Indic History
- Department of Philosophy of History
- GCE A-Level in History (UK)