English as a second language
Si vous parlez français, voir le Département anglais chez la Wikiversité française.
The goal of this site is to help people learn English as a foreign language. Languages often have different meanings for words that seem the same. Learners may find it hard to establish the meanings of English words. Some teachers encourage learners to focus on whole sentences, rather than trying to understand every word.
When a learner tries to translate English phrases word-for-word into his native language, it is difficult to keep up with spoken speech, and such learners may find it hard to understand the rest of the conversation.
Breaking down words to learn their roots and development is a fun way to increase interest and knowledge of English.
This page deals with developing resources for English as a Second Language (ESL) students.
- Teachers of English as a second or foreign language, please see Topic:TESOL
Is the verbal sound made when speaking the word being spoken. Pronunciation of a word in English can vary, American English is different from England's English.
- English as an Additional Language
- First Certificate of English (help for the Cambridge examination)
- If you have any questions about English, its grammar, pronunciation, or anything else related to the language, visit the reference desk and get help!
Other Resources 
- The Writing Center
- Teamspeak. audio example - using teamspeak for language learning (active listening)
- The Wikibooks English Usage Center
- External Links:
Here are the current learning projects in ESL:
- ESL for Primary School - Lessons for teachers of English as a Second/Foreign Language in Primary Schools.
- ESL for Pre-School and Kindergarden Children - Lessons for ESL/EFL teachers of young learners (up to age 6 or 7).
- Lessons in English as a Second Language - Lessons for adults working in pairs.
- TESOL Materials - A collection of resources submitted and shared by teachers (aimed primarily at high school and university levels).
- Distance Language Learning - A project dedicated to language learning at a distance.