Survey research and design in psychology/Readings/Textbooks
This unit is textbook agnostic. In other words you can choose the readings and textbook(s) that fit the requirements.
Recommended textbooks can be purchased from the University of Canberra co-op bookshop. They are also available in the University of Canberra library. Alternative texts can also be useful (see suggestions below).
Applied statistics textbooks provide theoretical and descriptive background reading for concepts emphasised in lectures, tutorials, and the assessment activities. The recommended textbook is Howitt and Cramer (2011a):
- Howitt, D. & Cramer, D. (2011). Introduction to statistics in psychology (5th ed.). Harlow, UK: Pearson. ISBN: 9780273734307 | RR: AU$105.05 Co-op member: AU$97.70 | Publisher site | Companion site | Instructor resources | UC library: BF39.H69 2011
Alternative texts that cover key topics such as correlation, factor analysis, linear regression, and multiple linear regression at an advanced undergraduate level in the context of social sciences can also be used. Some recommended alternatives are:
- Howell, D. C. (2013). Statistical methods for psychology (8th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth. ISBN-10: 1111835489 | ISBN-13: 9781111835484 ~AU$155 | Hardbound | Companion site | Author's site
- Online textbooks
SPSS how-to guides
How-to guides about using SPSS can assist participants to learn how to conduct data analyses for the survey research project lab report and tutorial exercises. The recommended textbook is Howitt and Cramer (2011b):
- Howitt, D. & Cramer, D. (2011). Introduction to SPSS statistics in psychology. For version 19 and earlier (5th ed.). Harlow, UK: Pearson. ISBN: 9780273734260 | RR AU$56.84 Co-op member AU$51.15 | Publisher site | UC Library: HA32.F72 2011
- Allen, P. & Bennett, K. (2010). PASW Statistics by SPSS: A Practical Guide: Version 18.0 (1st ed.). South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia: Cengage Learning Australia. ISBN: 9780170222907 | RR: AU$69.95 Co-op member: AU$65.05 | Product details | Student companion site | Instructor companion site | Data files
- Francis, G. (2007). Introduction to SPSS for Windows: v. 15.0 and 14.0 with notes for studentware (5th ed.). Sydney: Pearson Education. ISBN: 9780733989384 | RR: AU$90.82 Co-op member AU$84.46 | Publisher site
- Pallant, J. (2007). SPSS survival manual (3rd ed.). London: Open University Press. ISBN: 9781742373928 | AU$45.00 Co-op member AU$41.85 |
Note that tutorial exercises are drawn from Francis (2007), Allen and Bennett (2010), and Howitt and Cramer (2011b).
- American Psychological Association (2010). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association. UC library: BF76.7.P83 2010
Alternative texts should explain how to write a psychology lab reports in APA style. Recommended alternatives:
- Burton, L. J. (2009). An interactive approach to writing essays and research reports in psychology (3rd ed.). Milton, Qld, Australia: John Wiley & Sons. BF76.7.B87 2010
- Smyth, T. R. (2004). The principles of writing in psychology. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. BF76.7.S678 2004