Welcome to the School of Media Studies 
- Media Studies examines the effect of media on society.
- Media studies examines the ethical issues and responsibilities, media's influence, media's role in our society and media's evolution.
- The study of Media Studies is still a relatively new area, only developing in the last fifty years or so. Compared to other disciplines, this is a very short time.
- Please help
- The school is still very much under construction. We welcome anyone with a knowledge and/or interest in any aspect of Media Studies to take part in the development of the school. Feel free to add your name below if you would like to help, and start developing. Also, please add your ideas, questions, and/or proposals to the talk page.
Production theory vs. profesional film production
Media Studies is not Film, Television and Radio Production 
- The scope
- To give media studies students the background that they need to understand, analyze, criticize and write about the effects, functions, and relations between film, television and other media, and society as a whole, most Media Studies Departments focus on the theoretical, economic and political aspects of media production, and the uses that are made of the media in the daily lives of people.
- Practical filmmaking
- Students who are interested in a career producing motion pictures, radio and television news and drama should go to departments specifically designed for this. The production of film and television will be covered in the School of Film and Television. In this department, there is a series of courses on basic filmmaking for independent motion pictures. (The filmmaking school is about 70% complete.) A Radio division is also under construction as well as the new School of Broadcasting.
Active participants 
- The histories of Wikiversity pages indicate who the active participants are. If you are an active participant in this school, you can list your name here (this can help small schools grow and the participants communicate better; for large schools it is not needed). Wikiversity has participants and nobody puts on titles; just say what your goals are.
- Mauveract - Current Media student hoping to participate in media, especially radio.
- Gwatts88 - Also a current Media Student and Professional Idler. Particularly interested in Mental Health promotion, Gender Studies, representing difference, and general culture and politics.
- allanminium - Film and Television student
- Natt Gutmor - Hoping to work on TV or write a good book
- Steviejay - Teacher of English and Media Studies. Main interest in Media Effects and Radio.
- [Renee Hobbs] Temple University-- developing the course in media literacy, Fall 2006
- Cormaggio - many aspects of the media, particularly related to education, including media literacy
- Simpson - sociotechnology of media, media theory, propaganda, digital literacy 2013
- Cetheriel - Communication theory, Media theory, Hacker studies, Netowrk Sociology
- Film Studies - MatthewMitchell
- Digital Media Studies - Agave Akula
- Multimedia Production - Lazyquasar 10:53, 10 December 2005 (UTC)
- NewMedia Academia - JamesChew
- Television - Zanimum 19:38, 2 June 2006 (UTC)
- Mass Media and Society, Media Literacy, Press (International), Television - Majaranda September 2005
- New Media, Sociology of News, Global Media Issues - Megan Knight September 2006
- Dionysios (talk), Date: 2007-07-02 (July 2, 2007) Time: 225601 UTC -- New Media Arts, Radio Broadcasting and Podcasting.
- Symode09 May '07 -- Ethical issues and responsibilities, media's influence and role in our society and, its evolution
- --220.127.116.11 18:23, 6 July 2011 (UTC)
Please add yourself to the list if you are actively developing the school.
Divisions and Departments 
- Divisions and Departments of the School exist on pages in "topic" namespace. Start the name of departments with the "Topic:" prefix; departments reside in the Topic: namespace. Departments and divisions link to learning materials and learning projects. Divisions can link subdivisions or to departments. For more information on schools, divisions and departments look at the Naming Conventions.
Note: give new Wikiversity pages descriptive names, not cryptic names such as "Media101". Under construction!
We expect to have courses in a few different areas of Media Studies, including general media theory, radio theory and production theory, film studies, television analysis and production and mass media and society.
Media Content Creation - Areas of Interest 
- Still Images
- Digital Video
- 2D Animation
- 3D Animation
External links