These lessons on film scoring are under construction this month
These instructions are designed for GarageBand 3 plus the sounds of a symphony orchestra.
GarageBand is easy and fast yet powerful enough to do film scoring.
Please, tell me if you find anything as good!
Creating the sound of drama
Create a simple melody which creates a mood.
- Use GarageBand to create a melody which produces a mood.
- Use either the Ben Boldt pages or Jam Pack: Symphony Orchestra.
- 1. Start a new project
- Start a new project file in GarageBand.
2. Add a track
- I like to keep the top track as a piano. So instead of changing the first track, I create a new track with a virtual instrument.
3. Select an instrument
- Select the virtual software instrument that you think will sound best for your melody.
4. Open the Music Typing window
- For the typical filmmaker, Music Typing is a nice keyboard to use. The only problem is it does not capture the velocity of the notes.
- Turn off the metronome and just try to create a simple melody which creates a mood.
6. Adjust the velocity
- Select each of the notes and adjust the velocity of the note. Sometimes is it good to have the first note slightly louder than the other notes.
7. Save your project
- Each time you find a good tune, save it.
- 2. When you are finished, save the file with the name of the mood
Save the project file.
- 3. Send me your results
Once you are happy with your melody, send me the project file. Done!
In the exercise above, you used on only one track in GarageBand. If you wish, you can try to create additional tracks to enhance your sound of joy.
Option 1 · Add other voices or rhythms
Thicken the sound of your melody with other voices or delicate rhythms
Option 2 · Add chords
Add extra notes which harmonize with the notes of your melody.
Shortcuts to the other music lessons for film scoring: The Introduction → "Fear" → "Joy" → "Drama" → The Workshop
The next page
- We start very simply by creating a melody which tells a story
Contact your instructor
- Your instructor for this film scoring class is Robert Elliott.
- You can email me by clicking here.