Health issues in the news
This learning resource allows Wikiversity participants to explore health-related topics that are currently in the news. Starting with the content of news reports, we will attempt to take the next step deeper into into understanding the scientific background and social context of health-related news.
Topics in the news 
- Private insurance vs government health programs - should governments provide basic health care for all?
- Food and Drug Administration: are we safe? - can government agencies keep our food and drugs safe?
- Microbial resistance to anti-microbial drugs - how serious is the treat from Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and other resistant microbes?
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration: how safe is the workplace? - are work environments as safe as they should be?
- Veterans Health Administration: is funding adequate?
- Smoking, nicotine and addiction - strategies to kick the habit
- Birth control - should schools provide it to young students?
- HIV-AIDS - is a vaccine possible?
- Obesity - can we eat healthy?
- Drug addiction - war or treatment?
- Mental health - are pills the answer?
- Caesarean Delivery - just too dangerous for routine use?
- Progesterone - what is the breast cancer risk?
- Human growth hormone - What are the legitimate uses?
- Insulin - When is it a useful drug?
- Thyroid hormone - what levels are normal?
- Leptin - how do hormones control appetite and fat storage?