Generating dynamic content with MediaWiki/2009/W37/5
Timeline for the day of the September 11 attacks currently redirects to here while this learning resource is being constructed. To convert a red link below to the Wikipedia article simply add w: as a prefix to the link. Clicking on a red link as it is creates a new local learning resource in the Wikiversity main namespace.
Dynamic timeline 
This page was created on the 8 year anniversary of the September 11 attacks (USA) and shows how an interactive timeline can be constructed.
|TIMELINE||TIMESTAMP||DETAILS via #time parser function|
|This timeline project began close to||20090911143520||September 11 day 253 of 2009 which was day 5 of week 37|
|The actual event begins at or near||20010911020000||September 11 day 253 of 2001 which was day 2 of week 37|
|The 10-year aniversary will begin||20110911020000||September 11 day 253 of 2011 which will be day 7 of week 36|
The September 11 attacks, in addition to being a unique act of aggression, constituted a media event on a scale not seen since the advent of civilian global satellite links, round-the-clock television news organizations and the instant worldwide reaction and debate made possible by the Internet. As a result, most of the events listed below were known by a large portion of the planet's population as they occurred.
Below is an hour-by-hour breakdown of the events based on the Timeline for the day of the September 11 attacks Wikipedia article. Generating dynamic content with MediaWiki can help to create "re-enactments" of important historical events for use on Portals and Featured pages that "unfold" as the events did in actual time.
The events section on the Wikipedia article is 46 kilobytes long. We'll be breaking this big page into subpages so that dialup users, and those using mobile devices or old ancient browsers can edit and access pages without difficulties or delays. To do this, we'll use parser functions to create and access subpages to Timeline for the day of the September 11 attacks (currently a redirect to here):
- Timeline for the day of the September 11 attacks/06/00 trough Timeline for the day of the September 11 attacks/23/30.
- /06/00 has the first hour
Further reading 
- Bernstein, Richard B. (2003). Out of the Blue: A Narrative of September 11, 2001. Times Books. ISBN 0-8050-7410-4.
- Thompson, Paul (2004). The Terror Timeline: Year by Year, Day by Day, Minute by Minute: A Comprehensive Chronicle of the Road to 9/11. HarperCollins. ISBN 0-06-078338-9.
- "Interactive 911 Timeline" - Provided by TimeRime.com.
- "Complete 911 Timeline" minute by minute - Provided by the Center for Cooperative Research.
- Comprehensive Minute By Minute Timeline On 911 Mark R. Elsis
- Washington Post, 27 January 2002 Details of discussions that took place between President Bush and his advisors on the night of September 11.
- September 11: Chronology of terror: CNN timeline published September 12.
- 911 Case Study: Pentagon Flight 77: 3d Computer Simulation about The Pentagon impact.
- Video Archive of News Stations - Archive.org