CoreControl/Howard Community College/Spring2012/p2505MWGJ
Problem Statement 
Our goal is to create a working core control unit.
Team Members 
We set out to create a functional Core Control unit. The team started with research of potential designs and there was a general consensus that the design posted on instructables was a good place to start. This will include a vacuum sealed chamber formed around the hand up to the forearm. Suction with the correct pressure and vacuum to pump hot blood into the palm, "cool it" and have it flow back into the blood flow system. Allowing the user to recover from physical activity much quicker and achieve greater gains.
The group assembled and decided that the best route to tackling the new project was to research the workings of the Core Control system. A homebrew design was discovered on instructables which we decided was a good place to start. Proper specifications were found on Avacore's website and Standford University newsletters describing the technologies. Once we decided on the basis for our design we set upon obtaining the materials as well as modeling it with 3D software. The assembly of the Core Control unit was broken up into 3 basic areas; the wrist seal, the water pumping system, and the vacuum producing system.
The wrist seal produced unique challenges in that, for the glove to create a tight enough seal it needed to be very small. This leads to a situation that causes difficulty getting your hand into the wrist seal to begin with. We determined, that for the scope of this project, it would be a dificiency we could live with as long as suficient vacuum is being produced to meet specifications. The water pumping system was much more straight forward and made easier by the 3D modeling providing us with an optimal design for piping through the glove and into the water pump. Save for a small leak, rectified by apoxy, there were no issues with this portion of the project. The vacuum producing system was straight forward in its design, but in conjunction with the wrist seal create massive leakages that needed investigation and fixing. Our solution was to apply silicone to all of the seams, then systematically test each suspected seam until all provided a suficient integrity to produce a minimum of 3 inches of mercury. All in all the vacuum producing system was a success.
Decision List 
- Research and design
- 3D Modeling
- Division of Labor
- How to create a vacuum in a closed container
- Creation of tutorials
- assembly of body of the glove
- Creation of the wrist seal
- Creation of the water piping system
- Updating Group page
- Creation of the vacuum pumping system in the glove
- Sealing the leaks
Material List 
- 4" Diameter PVC Pipe
- 4" to 3" PVC Reduce
- 3" Metal Fastener
- 20' Vinyl tube 5/16" x 3/16"
- Latex hose various sizes
- Long Cuff Neoprene Gloves (scuba divers gloves work best)
- brake bleed kit
- fish tank water pump
- steel piping
- Silicone apoxy
Software List 
1. AutoDesk 123D: For the 3D drawing
2. Microsoft Power Point: To make the Poster
38 hours 42 minutes
Next Steps 
Improvements on our final design would include an "iris" type wrist seal, an on/off switch, and automatic vacuum pumping system.