|Learn to learn; love to live; like to link.|
- Sheldon Sacks
- Founding Editor, Critical Inquiry, University of Chicago
On Metaphor, a collection of fourteen essays by eminent philosophers, literary critics, theologians, art historians, and psychologists, illustrates and explores a striking phenomenon in modern intellectual history: the transformation of metaphor from a specialized concern of rhetoricians and literary critics to a central concept in the study of human understanding. These lively and provocative essays probe the nature, function, and meaning of metaphor and collectively demonstrate the multidisciplinary implications of the concept.
Because of its comprehensive scope, the volume is useful both as a resource for those interested in contemporary philosophy and theories of language and as a text for courses in such areas as the philosophy of language, critical theory, and the philosophy of knowledge. Originally published as a special issue of Critical Inquiry, the present collection includes two new contributions by Max Black and Nelson Goodman, along with a comprehensive index to the work. 
- Ted Cohen: "Metaphor and the Cultivation of Intimacy"
- Paul de Man: "The Epistemology of Metaphor"
- Donald Davidson: "What Metaphors Mean"
- Wayne C. Booth: "Metaphor as Rhetoric: The Problem of Evaluation"
- Karsten Harries: "Metaphor and Transcendence"
- David Tracy: "Metaphor and Religion: The Test Case of Christian Texts"
- Richard Shiff: "Art and Life: A Metaphoric Relationship"
- Howard Gardner and Ellen Winner: "The Development of Metaphoric Competence: Implications for Humanistic Disciplines"
- Paul Ricoeur: "The Metaphorical Process as Cognition, Imagination, and Feeling"
AFTERTHOUGHTS ON METAPHOR
- W. V. Quine: "A Postscript on Metaphor"
- Don R. Swanson: "Toward a Psychology of Metaphor"
- Karsten Harries: "The Many Uses of Metaphor"
- Wayne C. Booth: "Ten Literal 'Theses'"
- Margaret Schaefer: "Psychoanalysis and the Marionette Theater: Interpretation Is Not Depreciation"
- Heinz Kohut: "A Reply to Maragaret Schaefer"
Kenneth Burke: "A Critical Load, Beyond That Door..."
- Lakoff, George & Mark Johnson (1980). Metaphors We Live By. University of Chicago Press. [+]
- Ortony, Andrew, ed. (1979). Metaphor and Thought, Cambridge University Press. 2nd. ed. 1993. [+]
- Sacks, Sheldon, ed. (1978). Critical Inquiry, vol. 5, no. 1 (Special Issue: On Metaphor), University of Chicago. [+]
- Cohen, Jonathan (1977). The Probable and the Provable. Oxford University Press. [+]
- Gibson, Jame J. (1977). "The Theory of Affordances," pp. 67-82. In: Robert Shaw & John Bransford, eds. Perceiving, Acting, and Knowing: Toward an Ecological Psychology. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum. [+]
- 1977/Rogers [+]
- 1977/Sternberg [+]
- Boyd, John (1976). Destruction and Creation. Goal Systems International. [+]
- Chisholm, Roderick (1976). Person and Object: A Metaphysical Study. London: G. Allen & Unwin. [+]
- 1976/Dawkins [+]
- Fish, Stanley (1976). "Interpreting the 'Variorum'." Critical Inquiry, Vol. 2, No. 3, (Spring 1976), pp. 465-485. [+]
- Leach, Edmund (1976). Culture and Communication: The Logic by Which Symbols are Connected. Cambridge University Press. [+]
- Neisser, Ulric (1976). Cognition and Reality: Principles and Implications of Cognitive Psychology. WH Freeman. [+]
- 1976/Ricoeur [+]
- 1976/Williams [+]
- Werner Abraham (1975). A Linguistic Approach to Metaphor. Lisse, Netherlands: Peter de Ridder Press. [+]
- Cole, Peter & Jerry L. Morgan, eds. (1975). Syntax and Semantics, Vol. 3: Speech Act. New York: Academic Press. [+]
- Eco, Umberto (1975). A Theory of Semiotics. London: Macmillan, 1976. [+]
- Douglas, Mary (1975). Implicit Meanings: Essays in Anthropology. Routledge. [+]
- Grice, Paul (1975). "Logic and Conversation," pp. 41-58, in: Cole, Peter & Jerry L. Morgan eds. (1975). Syntax and Semantics, Vol. 3: Speech Act. New York: Academic Press. [+]
- Polanyi, Michael & Harry Prosch (1975). Meaning. University of Chicago Press. [+]
- Ricoeur, Paul (1975). The Rule of Metaphor: Multi-Disciplinary Studies in the Creation of Meaning in Language. Robert Czerny, Kathleen McLaughlin & John Costello, trans., London: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1978. [+]
- Geertz, Clifford (1973). The Interpretation of Cultures: Selected Essays. New York: Basic Books. [+]
- 1962/Black [+]
- Black, Max (1954). "Metaphor." Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society, 55, pp. 273-294. [+]
- Wittgenstein, Ludwig (1953). Philosophical Investigations. Blackwell Publishing. [+]
- Strawson, Peter (1950). "On Referring." Mind, vol. 59, no. 235, pp. 320-344. [+]
- Hayakawa, S. I. (1949). Language in Thought and Action. Harcourt, Brace & Company, 1949. [+]
- Ryle, Gilbert (1949). The Concept of Mind. University Of Chicago Press. [+]
- Richards, I. A. (1936). The Philosophy of Rhetoric. Oxford University Press. [+]
- Empson, William (1930). Seven Types of Ambiguity, 2nd ed., London: Chatto & Windus, 1949. [+]
- Ogden, C. K. & I. A. Richards (1923). The Meaning of Meaning: A Study of the Influence of Language upon Thought and of the Science of Symbolism. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd. [+]